Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deactivating a SIM?

• 30-12-2008 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

hey guys i got a new number and i was wondering how to deactivate my old one, so that for example if someone tried to ring it it would say number not in use instead of saying the phone is switched off or whatever?? thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You can't really do that as such. Couple of options I'd suggest

1. setup a voicemail explaining the number is no longer in use.
    2. ring your network and report the number stolen / lost. they will block it and it should appear as though number is not in use or whatever.
    3. just tell the people that matter your new number and check the old one every couple of days for msgs / texts in case someone missed it or you forgot about someone. As you use the new number longer and longer only check the old one seldomly until eventually it'll just be disconnected after 6 months to a year of inactivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

just divert old number onto new number

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Or just ring your network and ask them to put the number into ageing.

Or just ring your network and ask them to put the number into ageing.
    Sometimes networks refuse to do this for whatever reasons they have.

seanybiker wrote: »
    just divert old number onto new number
    This means that he'll have to keep topping up the old SIM to pay for the diverts and also people won't get the message that he's got a new number now as he probably won't see the "call diverted" on the new phone before it starts ringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Which Network??on a side note OMG Random is on VODAFONE, take that Drunkmonkey:D(joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Port to 3.....shoulldn't take more than a day or two for it to go tits up.

Aw....I'm juz mezzin.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

Port to 3.....shoulldn't take more than a day or two for it to go tits up.

Aw....I'm juz mezzin.........

well you hit the nail on the head any way messing or not they went doooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnn hill since they was took over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Just ask them to cancel your account. They will essentially put your number into ageing. Often times they will actually refuse, as random has noted. If they do, put on your legal voice, and note that you refuse to comply with the terms and conditions that you were originally given. At this point, they WILL cancel your account and it is likely they will ask you to bring your sim card back to a local phone dealer or send it to them in the post. Terms and conditions don't apply to the handset so you need not worry about that.

Random, as regards point #2, in post #2 where you said to report the number as lost or stolen, in my experience, we are advised to do a sim replacement which cancels the sim card automatically BUT then activates a new one. Also, we had a customer ask to cancel the sim card, and the network also cancelled/blacklisted the handsets also. Granted, it was Three, but the same could also potentially happen on any network.

Random, as regards point #2, in post #2 where you said to report the number as lost or stolen, in my experience, we are advised to do a sim replacement which cancels the sim card automatically BUT then activates a new one. Also, we had a customer ask to cancel the sim card, and the network also cancelled/blacklisted the handsets also. Granted, it was Three, but the same could also potentially happen on any network.

If you ring them at 10pm telling them you lost your phone they block the SIM there and then. They don't wait until you get a replacement SIM whch you can't get until the next day generally (because they are liable for any costs to the SIM from the moment you report it to them and they'd rather not be ... even if it is prepay). Then just don't bother getting the replacement SIM and your account stays like that.

I really don't want to try and comprehend the nonsense 3 might have told you ... it's too late at night for that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Random wrote: »
    If you ring them at 10pm telling them you lost your phone they block the SIM there and then. They don't wait until you get a replacement SIM whch you can't get until the next day generally (because they are liable for any costs to the SIM from the moment you report it to them and they'd rather not be ... even if it is prepay). Then just don't bother getting the replacement SIM and your account stays like that.
    But see, if they send you out a replacement sim, it automatically cancels the old one, therefore rendering it useless to anyone it's in the hands of. It makes sense really when you're in customer care. Much less paperwork.

<edit: Actually, I think we're both right. Vodafone and o2 have different processes, so we may be both right. Does Vodafone's replacement sim cards only activate after you begin using them? />
    I really don't want to try and comprehend the nonsense 3 might have told you ... it's too late at night for that! :D
    hehe, yah, I know. They've got great support people in India, but their network is backwards, as are all their systems in Ireland. We do both in our shop (we use three for modems only and then o2 for everything), and Three's way of doing things is so backward. Anyway, too late in the night for talking about these crazy people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

moggser wrote: »
    well you hit the nail on the head any way messing or not they went doooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnn hill since they was took over

Did I miss something? When was 3 taken over and by who??

Just ask them to cancel your account. They will essentially put your number into ageing. Often times they will actually refuse, as random has noted. If they do, put on your legal voice, and note that you refuse to comply with the terms and conditions that you were originally given. At this point, they WILL cancel your account and it is likely they will ask you to bring your sim card back to a local phone dealer or send it to them in the post. Terms and conditions don't apply to the handset so you need not worry about that.

3 will suspend a sim when its lost or stolen but will only blacklist a phone when specifically asked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

But see, if they send you out a replacement sim, it automatically cancels the old one, therefore rendering it useless to anyone it's in the hands of. It makes sense really when you're in customer care. Much less paperwork.
    Dont ask them to send a replacement SIM. Tell them you will pick one up in store.

If they insist on sending one then dont call them back to activate it once you receive it.

Best option here is to turn off the phone and either remove all diverts or set up a voicemail greeting explaining that you no longer use the number and to contact you on your new one.

You could set up a divert but thats chargeable so might not be practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

They've got great support people in India
    they're very well hidden

Walkman wrote: »
    Did I miss something? When was 3 taken over and by who??

well how long are you with 3????

ive been with them since they came here many years back now
    they where takin over by god knows who but the customer service is non existant very poor
    also at the start when i joined them and was put in to my contract was all the footie clips where free along with numorus other free things like everyone else who signed up and then they were took over everything went to hell and i hate dealing with them and are leaving them on the 6th of jan

which i might add is a ordeal in itsself just got sick of there poor service

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    they're very well hidden

they're hidden because ya cant get near them to strangle them lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they where takin over by god knows who but the customer service is non existant very poor
    also at the start when i joined them and was put in to my contract was all the footie clips where free along with numorus other free things like everyone else who signed up and then they were took over everything went to hell and i hate dealing with them and are leaving them on the 6th of jan

Ah right now i know what you mean. They weren't taken over, they just started well to make a good impression in the market and then gradually removed everything that made them good to save money

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Ah right now i know what you mean. They weren't taken over, they just started well to make a good impression in the market and then gradually removed everything that made them good to save money

yeah that too but at the start they was scottish and now their something else i remember one of the c/s guys telling me of the move before well i guess he was sacked

yeah that too but at the start they was scottish and now their something else i remember one of the c/s guys telling me of the move before well i guess he was sacked

Their customer care centre was moved from scotland to india, they have never been taken over. Their head office is in dublin, and the MD is the same man since day one. They are owned by a company called hutchison whampoa and have always been owned by this company.

• Advertisement

It would not have been put into your contract that clips or anything like that would be free. You contract is in the sim pack and is a standard contract. If you were told they would be free than that would be very different than having it in your contract, I know this cause I also signed up the week them launched.

i know who there owned by its not hard to find that out its on your bill~?? you know the MD or something? or part off three may be? and i might of picked up wrong on the takin over bit but i do know there gone down hill i used to like three i got loads of my friends to port over and now we all share the same opinion when it comes to them now

Walkman wrote: »
    It would not have been put into your contract that clips or anything like that would be free. You contract is in the sim pack and is a standard contract. If you were told they would be free than that would be very different than having it in your contract, I know this cause I also signed up the week them launched.

i am aware of how things work regarding the contract with the sim and phone
    and YES i was told that in to my contract it was to be free as long as was a customer i.e not the length of my contract but as long as i stayed with three
    and then they go whip the rug from under ya with out warning and change the whole place around new c/s new structure and nothing was free no more rant over fingers getting to cold here to type lol

Advertisement