Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gojira anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Heh, these days its all psytrance and prog electronic stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Stop listening to Suno))), its going to lead to nasty things, I promise you this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Jesus, no offense mate but HOLY **** THAT IS SO ****!
    mp3guy wrote: »
    I pity you, being unable to find enjoyment in any music without guitar solos.

You're really cutting yourself off.

Maybe you'll grow out of it, solos are far from the bees knees.

Sorry guys but I play guitar and after a while you look for inspiration and great guitarists do actually solo like your dimebags, your Petruccis and your Satrianis.

So when you have the like of the above on your ipod, its very hard to sit there and listen to your fear factorys and gojiras.

This is my personal opinion btw so i would appreciate not being told its bullsh!t or that i will 'grow out of it'

Sorry guys but I play guitar and after a while you look for inspiration and great guitarists do actually solo like your dimebags, your Petruccis and your Satrianis.

So when you have the like of the above on your ipod, its very hard to sit there and listen to your fear factorys and gojiras.

This is my personal opinion btw so i would appreciate not being told its bullsh!t or that i will 'grow out of it'

It's your personal taste, what you enjoy is not an opinion. And more innovation happens in riffs rather than solos.

Fredrik Thordendal, Bulb, Joe Duplantier, Acle Kahney, Mikael Akerfeldt, Jon Schaffer and Adam Jones are all about ten times more innovative in their writing process compared to shred whores like Petrucci and Satriani who are just reinventing the top few frets as fast as they can.

Being a big self indulgent solo guitarist in metal is about as close as you can get to being a pop princess in the genre imo.

But each to their own, right ;)

It's your personal taste, what you enjoy is not an opinion. And more innovation happens in riffs rather than solos.

Fredrik Thordendal, Bulb, Joe Duplantier, Acle Kahney, Mikael Akerfeldt, Jon Schaffer and Adam Jones are all about ten times more innovative in their writing process compared to shred whores like Petrucci and Satriani who are just reinventing the top few frets as fast as they can.

Being a big self indulgent solo guitarist in metal is about as close as you can get to being a pop princess in the genre imo.

But each to their own, right ;)

Im afraid we are going to have to agree to disagee.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/gojira/dawn_ver3_tab.htm
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/meshuggah/new_millennium_cyanide_christ_tab.htm

Innovation my hole!, those songs are an embarrasment to guitarists, they almost pust nirvana into intermediate playing.

Rediculously downtuned guitars can make anyone sound good.

Rap your mind around this: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJB5wdS7ng

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Solos are nice, they add flash to the proceedings. Even with Meshuggah, I'm not a fan but the best thing about Bleed is the guitar solo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

1+

All flash. Nothing more boring in metal than **** solo's.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/meshuggah/new_millennium_cyanide_christ_tab.htm

Innovation my hole!, those songs are an embarrasment to guitarists, they almost pust nirvana into intermediate playing.

I get the feeling you're the kind of person who thinks all electronic music and in fact anything but metal is crap as well, If so I'm not going to continue my discussion with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

What a narrow minded view of Metal. There is so much good stuff out there to say that if a song doesnt have a solo then you are not interested is very obtuse. Solos are good as long as they suit the song, they are not a mandatory element. Some solos are awesome as are the guitarists who play them but they are not the be all and end all of metal.

I get the feeling you're the kind of person who thinks all electronic music and in fact anything but metal is crap as well, If so I'm not going to continue my discussion with you.

Not true, in fact R.E.M. are one of my favourite bands and i do enjoy alot of electronic music and hip hop.
    However im just as happy if you finish this discussion with me ;)

Moojuice wrote: »
    What a narrow minded view of Metal. There is so much good stuff out there to say that if a song doesnt have a solo then you are not interested is very obtuse. Solos are good as long as they suit the song, they are not a mandatory element. Some solos are awesome as are the guitarists who play them but they are not the be all and end all of metal.

I have been listening to metal for a long time and have come to the conclusion that the best bands solo, as said by someone else, this is my personal preference. Should you wish to recommend me so bands i would be quite happy to have a listen and see if i like them but from my experience i have found that its the solos that i listen to metal for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Does anyone know where the Dublin tickets are on sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

from my experience i have found that its the solos that i listen to metal for.

But what about the headbanging riffs? I'm all for solos but give me crunching riffage any day!

Edit:

I've checked ticketmaster, only the Belfast date...I'm presuming they'll be up in the next few days.

Listen man, I love Testament, I queued for hours to meet Alex because he is a class guitarist, no arguements there. Quite simply, solos got old, really old. I can't understand how you find polymetric songwriting an embarrasment, if anything Testament couldn't play half the **** that some of the new wave of metal bands are producing. Eg. Ion Dissonance, Meshuggah. If you want solos and some proper songwriting, listen to Planetary Duality, the new album by The Faceless.

Stop being an idiot. Personal preference is one thing, making ridiuclous claims is another.

POST REPORTED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Redenemyjoe, please refrain from calling other users idiots.

Brendansmith, don't come along and say 'Post reported' after you've reported it, it's like deliberately rubbing it in someone's face that you've just gotten them in trouble. It's disruptive, so don't do it again.

Brendansmith, don't come along and say 'Post reported' after you've reported it, it's like deliberately rubbing it in someone's face that you've just gotten them in trouble. It's disruptive, so don't do it again.

HAHA sorry karl, it was abit of a d1ckhead thing to do alright.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

HAHA sorry karl, it was abit of a d1ckhead thing to do alright.:D

your spot on there.
    but to agree with many others stop being so narrow minded with the music you listren to,more to music than solo's,listen to Tool
    but before you say it yes your open to an opinion im just saying the above anyway

Chaosangel wrote: »
    your spot on there.
    but to agree with many others stop being so narrow minded with the music you listren to,more to music than solo's,listen to Tool
    but before you say it yes your open to an opinion im just saying the above anyway

I do listen to tool, i like them very much and saw them at ozfest afew years back.
    Ill be as narrow minded as i like thankyou very much. Each to their own, this whole debate started when i gave gojira the thumbs down. You nu-metal nazi's have to realise that some of us are not gonna jump feet first into this mesuggah, gojira stuff as its not metal as we like it or have come to know it as.
    Good day to you sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

You nu-metal nazi's Good day to you sir.

I'm actually suprised to see the amount of people promoting non-solo music. And the relative few people lambasting it. Its a welcome change for me, I can't stand twiddly solos.

Having said that i completely respect people that do, and certainly would not hold it against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I do listen to tool, i like them very much and saw them at ozfest afew years back.
    Ill be as narrow minded as i like thankyou very much. Each to their own, this whole debate started when i gave gojira the thumbs down. You nu-metal nazi's have to realise that some of us are not gonna jump feet first into this mesuggah, gojira stuff as its not metal as we like it or have come to know it as.
    Good day to you sir.

Fair enough, you like what you like. But Gojira and Meshuggah are not Nu-Metal: Korn (were at least), Limp bizkit, Pap Roach etc etc etc are. If you want to label them then wanky terms like math metal are sometimes used. Its just very rhythmic stuff, Gojira has elements of doom and sludge metal at times. Anyway, BACK ON TOPIC, Gojira are confirmed to be playing Ireland, a certain venue on Wexford street (sorry not sure how much I am allowed to say about the gig)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Is it 'Go-Jee-Ra' or 'Go-Hee-Ra' or 'Go-Hi-Ra' or 'Go-Joy-Ra'?

I've pronounced it how it's spelled, the first one, but I heard various pronounciations or mispronouncians as it were.

It's pronounced 'Go-Jee-Ra', as seen in interviews with the band. 'Go-Hee-Ra' is a pretty embarrassing way to pronounce it, it's not like they're spanish.

Moojuice wrote: »
    Fair enough, you like what you like. But Gojira and Meshuggah are not Nu-Metal: Korn (were at least), Limp bizkit, Pap Roach etc etc etc are. If you want to label them then wanky terms like math metal are sometimes used. Its just very rhythmic stuff, Gojira has elements of doom and sludge metal at times. Anyway, BACK ON TOPIC, Gojira are confirmed to be playing Ireland, a certain venue on Wexford street (sorry not sure how much I am allowed to say about the gig)

Cheers mate!! Can't ****ing wait for this !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

People really don't know how to pronounce Gojira? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I loved From Mars To Serious, but I just didn't feel the same about either The Link or The Way of All Flesh - I thought both albums had a couple of really decent songs but not enough overall. Haven't had much luck finding Terra Incognita, I'd like to hear it. The live dvd sounds decent too from the little bit I've seen.

Lol the live DVD is The Link Alive, its just the whole Album of The Link .

Tickets are only €15 btw !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Lol the live DVD is The Link Alive, its just the whole Album of The Link .

Tickets are only €15 btw !!

Are you sure? I thought I saw a performance of The Heaviest Matter In The Universe, unless that was another gig that looked the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Are you sure? I thought I saw a performance of The Heaviest Matter In The Universe, unless that was another gig that looked the same.
    Love Gojira, cant wait to see em live :). Thought the new album was a let down at first listen but bar one or 2 tracks its really really grown on me. Its got nothing on from mars to sirus but still excellent in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Haven't had much luck finding Terra Incognita, I'd like to hear it.

I got it off Amazon.fr, you do pay a bit extra with different VAT rates I think but defo man get it, I got it first then the Link and Terra is cracking for a debut.

• Advertisement

Yeah, no worries. Heated typing. Brendan, I'm sure you're not an idiot, congrats.

Advertisement