Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling account in Ireland .. with interest ?

Options
  • 30-12-2008 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

anyone have any experience of setting up a sterling account with any of the Irish banks ?

What are the charges in transfering from your euro to sterling account?

Did you get a decent interest rate ?

TIA :)

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You can do this with BOI and I'd imagine any of the major banks will do it, the procedure is similar to opening any other depoisit account. (You'll need proof of ID and proof of address) and you'll need to call into a branch to fill in a form. The account will actually be set up by the bank's international department. With the BOI account, you can earn interest, but there's a minimum amount you need to have in the account to upen it as interest bearing (AFAIK it's around €10k) hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Toots85 wrote: »
    You can do this with BOI and I'd imagine any of the major banks will do it, the procedure is similar to opening any other depoisit account. (You'll need proof of ID and proof of address) and you'll need to call into a branch to fill in a form. The account will actually be set up by the bank's international department. With the BOI account, you can earn interest, but there's a minimum amount you need to have in the account to upen it as interest bearing (AFAIK it's around €10k) hope this helps.

Is the account still considered in the state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OPENROAD wrote: »

As far as I am aware it is considered still in the state. The account is held in Ireland, however it is simply in a different currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

OPENROAD wrote: »

Yes, for legal and taxation purposes. You can drive to Newry and open an account though and furnish your southern address.
    You can also do this by going to your local branch of Bank of Ireland and insisting that you want your sterling account outside of the state, you wil then be given the option of opening it in the uk, without having to travel there.
    I did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement