Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dropping out

Options
  • 30-12-2008 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

thinking of dropping out, but thought i'd wait until after the semester 1 results come out. i just checked on the website that the last day to withdraw is 31st of january but the results aren't out until 2nd of february.
    does this mean if i withdraw i won't get to find out my results?:confused:

another question, does anyone know if you can defer for a year at this stage, mid way through the term?

any info welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

why do you want to drop out? If your exams went so bad that you are contemplating dropping out then Im sorry to say you prob wont be too suprised when you get your results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 random08

because i know for certain i failed two modules and i'm taking more modules in semester 2 than semester 1 aswell so the workload might be too much. i'd still like to find out if i passed the other modules and what my grades are out of curiousity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

you can always repeat failed courses. There is always an option other than dropping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Stage X is nothing to be ashamed of. Do some research and you will find you will be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

where does it say the 31st is the last date to withdraw could you give me a link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

seriously man ! failing or not - stay in college ! you will miss it if you leave.
    and if you do manage to stick it out to the end then you will be alot more prepared for the big bad world with a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

i just want a link to what the OP is talkin about where it says the 31st is the final withdrawal date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

ah just give the man the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Don't drop out. As was said above, you can repeat the module exam or go into stage X. Email your programme office (http://www.ucd.ie/programmeoffices.htm) about what you can do. But what ever you do, dropping out should be the very very very last option, never the first.

Clearly you have what it takes to get into UCD, and you can use what you learnt from your first semester re managing your time, what is expected of you etc to semester 2. I know of a guy who more or less had to do a years worth of work in one semester. You just have to get the head down and set your priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 random08

Here is the link about withrawal before 31st jan. Btw you can still drop out after this you just won't get half your fees paid if you re apply.
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/fees/withdrawing_from_a_course.htm

i know people are saying don't drop out, but i don't think i will be able to afford 'stage X' (i probably failed more than two modules). i could drop out and get a job. i will have to check with the office about defferral.

• Advertisement
Advertisement