Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons going???

Options
  • 30-12-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

I hear rumours that Easons are closing down! Anyone know if this is true?? Also Japan and Sashas is to close too, apparantly!
    The city centre is really in a bad way if this is true!
    Where will I get my maggazines noooow!:(:(

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's a pretty major rumour to be starting. Where did you hear about it, when, how reliable was your source, etc?

Scare-mongering is a nasty pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I heard it from my sisters, husbands, boyfriends, best friends, cousins, fathers uncles niece who works with a girl who's brothers mates cousins chiropractor who has a sister that works in easons, that it might or might not close due to the economic downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I heard it from my sisters, husbands, boyfriends, best friends, cousins, fathers uncles niece who works with a girl who's brothers mates cousins chiropractor who has a sister that works in easons, that it might or might not close due to the economic downturn.

Wait a minute............YOU DONT HAVE A SISTER!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I heard Easons is going too and I am in the same business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

I heard it from a cab driver the other night so it must be true....

In the Crescent, Zaavi are uncertain, Adams is going and the shop the replaced Mango is going now too as is Sasha.

To quote The Specials, This town, is gonna like a ghost town....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Hahaha. Great message. your sisters - husbands - boyfriend? brilliant. and the conclusion then "it might or might not close due to the economic downturn".

Well put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I was behind two women in the Enzo's chipper on Sunday.
    According to one woman these are the shop that are closing down or "pulling out" as she said:

Debenhams
    Tesco (AQ)
    Dunnes (Harveys Quay)
    Penneys
    Dalys

Aren't rumours hilarious? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Zavvi Ireland went into the irish legal equivelent of administration yesterday, and Adams Kids in the crescent and Parkway are not far behind zavvi.

Zavvi went under because they couldn't get credit after Woolworths, their main supplier went to the wall. WH Smith in the UK has woolworth's as a supplier of CDs and the like so they are having problems too.

Ladybird clothing, which if the cement between my ears recalls have an outlet in one of the shopping centres, is owned by Woolworths, so they will probably be in the ****ter as well.

Don't know about easons, but have hear the name Land of Leather being bandied about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

According to one woman these are the shop that are closing down or "pulling out" as she said:

Debenhams
    Tesco (AQ)
    Dunnes (Harveys Quay)
    Penneys
    Dalys

Tescos and Penneys will be the ones to do better out of the downturn because their stuff is cheaper, that is unless one of their major suppliers goes under like what happened to woolworths. I imagine if an employer as big as tesco were to find itself in trouble it would get a bail out from the UK government. too big to fail and all that.

Debenhams has performed piss poor in Limerick, any time i have gone in there it has been empty.

• Advertisement

Debenhams
    Tesco (AQ)
    Dunnes (Harveys Quay)
    Penneys
    Dalys

There just bickering/gossiping I'd say. Probably so bored and they love to talk so much that they just make up story's and "jaysus Chrisht that is shocking. What is the world coming too".
    Actually while we're on this kind of subject, whats the story with the builiding down by Aldi in castletroy? It was going to be a hotel and the investers pulled out. Now it a bit part useless toy store. Does anyone know if anything decent is going to go in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Enzos chips are lovely!

Roches stores was way better than Debenhams in all fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

TheLoc wrote: »
    There just bickering/gossiping I'd say. Probably so bored and they love to talk so much that they just make up story's and "jaysus Chrisht that is shocking. What is the world coming too".
    Actually while we're on this kind of subject, whats the story with the builiding down by Aldi in castletroy? It was going to be a hotel and the investers pulled out. Now it a bit part useless toy store. Does anyone know if anything decent is going to go in there?
    Its a nice enough building in my opinion, Hopefully it will be filled after this downturn is over...any year now

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Enzos chips are lovely!

Roches stores was way better than Debenhams in all fairness

Enzos have the best battered sausages in Limerick, and I'm of an age that remembers Donkeys being the best, havn't been to Debenhams since Roches closed...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Lobster pot still has the best battered sausies.

Anyway whens marks and spencers opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

donkey ford for that sausages and cheap as **** too .. as for easons they might be waitin to move into that big new shopping centre going into harveys quay

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The rumours about Eason stared last year and some of the staff in there say that it is not a case of closing down but that the company have looked at the option of relocating in either the Crescent (should a suitable unit become vacant) or to one of the other centres on the outskirts.

But at this point all it is, is just talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I really hope Easons doesn't close down, love that shop. I did hear from my Uncle @ the weekend that the rumours of Debenhams closing are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Aidric wrote: »
    I really hope Easons doesn't close down, love that shop. I did hear from my Uncle @ the weekend that the rumours of Debenhams closing are true.
    As with Roches the staff will probably be the last to go, but while I've heard the rumour, unless your uncle is Rob Templeman, which I would sincerely doubt it may be anything but the truth.

That said, they're selling Penneys quality at Brown Thomas prices, so what exactly did they expect ffs. They're only 30 months into a 57 month lease that the Roche's aren't going to refund.

That Eason is a goldmine, they'd be mad to move ti the Crescent as News Stop already has a customer following there and there's a bookshop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think they would clean up in the Crescent if they moved. You saw how well virgin/zavvi outperformed Golden Discs.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    As with Roches the staff will probably be the last to go, but while I've heard the rumour, unless your uncle is Rob Templeman, which I would sincerely doubt it may be anything but the truth.

That said, they're selling Penneys quality at Brown Thomas prices, so what exactly did they expect ffs. They're only 30 months into a 57 month lease that the Roche's aren't going to refund.

That Eason is a goldmine, they'd be mad to move ti the Crescent as News Stop already has a customer following there and there's a bookshop there.
    Yea thats what I think. Sure isn't cruises street the busiest street in town? It wouldn't make any sense to close that shop and move to cresent. I'm sure they would be very busy there too but sure they are constantly busy where they are. Maybe they will just open a 2nd shop in the cresent. That would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Maybe its an issue with rent? I imagine its not cheap in Cruises Street, and it might save a few million to move to the Crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mr E wrote: »
    Maybe its an issue with rent? I imagine its not cheap in Cruises Street, and it might save a few million to move to the Crescent.

Rent was very high for Barratts in cruises street which is why it closed. It was also due to some number crunching. My GF took over this store as manager and figures starting to climb back up but it was too little too late and they closed the store putting her out on her ear even though they hired her only 6 months previously. :mad:

Rent is similar in the crescent shopping centre but the income derived was 4 times that of cruises street and the crescent held identical stock and qunaities are cruises street. Footfall is the key and if you can get lower rent, even better.

It was around €500 per week for Barratts cruises street before services.

Berty wrote: »
    Rent was very high for Barratts in cruises street which is why it closed. It was also due to some number crunching. My GF took over this store as manager and figures starting to climb back up but it was too little too late and they closed the store putting her out on her ear even though they hired her only 6 months previously. :mad:

Rent is similar in the crescent shopping centre but the income derived was 4 times that of cruises street and the crescent held identical stock and qunaities are cruises street. Footfall is the key and if you can get lower rent, even better.

Yea it must be the rent issue then. Maybe it is a bit busier out there in the cresent too. I can't imagine by much.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Maybe even a method of renegotiating rent.

Eason has an O'Connell Street address. I'd be very surprised if it didn't own the building. If rent was an issue I doubt the massive one on O'Connell St. in Dublin would still be open.

It's a family company, so the details around this are difficult to establish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Berty wrote: »

I can never understand this.. The city centre is becoming a ghost town but yet the city council hike up rates ( is that the same as rent??) people warn them every year that the rates are high but up they go.. Would it no make business sense to have lower rates and entice people back to the city centre???
    Any opinions??

baza1976 wrote: »
    I can never understand this.. The city centre is becoming a ghost town but yet the city council hike up rates ( is that the same as rent??) people warn them every year that the rates are high but up they go.. Would it no make business sense to have lower rates and entice people back to the city centre???
    Any opinions??
    Yea it definetly would make sense. It's the same story with Superquinn. The amount of shops that have gone in and out of there is shocking. The rent is an absolute joke in there. Subsequently, the place is just crap. Superquinn and champions sports are the only shops that are busy enough in there. When I used to work in the supermarket, we were told that the place was taking a massive loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

baza1976 wrote: »
    Any opinions??

Well like the government of this country they feel (i guess) that whilst the money is low to hike up rates and that will cure the problem.

DMZ are the agents for Cruises Street and most of the main retail units and they are offering 2 years rent free as long as you sign an ironclad 5 year lease. Nobody in their right mind will do this and the local council cannot charge rates to empty properties so they put up the rates on the existing ones because its the easy thing to do.

It will cripple the city but along with everything else in this world we must wait for somebody to be hurt before anything is done.

• Advertisement

City rates fell last year and didn't increase this year. It's still an issue, but if they didn't pay them you'd have to pay rates on your house.

Advertisement