Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons going???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was just going to say the same about the govt Berty, increasing taxes, taking the easy way out with cutbacks, why dont they do us all a favour and feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tile Market gone bust

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ninty9er wrote: »
    City rates fell last year and didn't increase this year. It's still an issue, but if they didn't pay them you'd have to pay rates on your house.

city rates are going up by 2.8 percent this year.

county rates were frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Berty wrote: »
    Well like the government of this country they feel (i guess) that whilst the money is low to hike up rates and that will cure the problem.
    The opposition controls Limerick City Council.;)
    city rates are going up by 2.8 percent this year.

county rates were frozen.
    My bad....did they not fall in recent years though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Tile Market gone bust
    they've been struggling for years though, Im surprised they'd lasted this long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lunar_Wolf

Everything is closing down. Soon we will be doing sexual favors on the side for a sweet look at a pair of jeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ripperie

i paid 10k for tiles which tilemarket havent delivered. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Contact them directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I would imagine the parent company Menzies do not feel that Limerick is now a viable option as it may wish to concentrate on its stronger stores, Limerick not being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

oh dear god. when did you pay, and how much tiles were you buying?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

I would imagine the parent company Menzies do not feel that Limerick is now a viable option as it may wish to concentrate on its stronger stores, Limerick not being one of them.

Menzies are the parent company of whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

lasno wrote: »
    Menzies are the parent company of whom?

Menzies don't have anything to do with Eason retail. They are only involved in a joint venture for the wholesale distribution of newspapers and magazines

jahalpin wrote: »
    Menzies don't have anything to do with Eason retail. They are only involved in a joint venture for the wholesale distribution of newspapers and magazines

If you are interested you should read the December edition of Irish Retail News(Trade magazine) which tells us they have taken over 62% of all operations within Easons Ireland, UK, Scotland, Africa and Spain & Portugal.

It does not mention that it is only wholesale distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

Lunar_Wolf wrote: »
    Everything is closing down. Soon we will be doing sexual favors on the side for a sweet look at a pair of jeans.

i'm screwed then, I believe I'm sexually repulsive. Ah well, I'll get out the potato sack..

If you are interested you should read the December edition of Irish Retail News(Trade magazine) which tells us they have taken over 62% of all operations within Easons Ireland, UK, Scotland, Africa and Spain & Portugal.

It does not mention that it is only wholesale distribution.

Easons don't have operations in Scotland, Spain or Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

baza1976 wrote: »
    I can never understand this.. The city centre is becoming a ghost town but yet the city council hike up rates ( is that the same as rent??) people warn them every year that the rates are high but up they go.. Would it no make business sense to have lower rates and entice people back to the city centre???
    Any opinions??
    Is it looking like Galway? Greedy Galway

Easons don't have operations in Scotland, Spain or Portugal

They do now they are a part of Menzies.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Not the retail part of Easons

lasno wrote: »
    Not the retail part of Easons

Yes Wholesale not retail yet it still makes them part of the bigger group and must share their profits with the parent company which means that if one element of the business is not performing as well as the other(wholesale) then when it push comes to shove who do you think will go first?

The under-performer which in this case "could" be Limerick.

Yes Wholesale not retail yet it still makes them part of the bigger group and must share their profits with the parent company which means that if one element of the business is not performing as well as the other(wholesale) then when it push comes to shove who do you think will go first?

The under-performer which in this case "could" be Limerick.

EM News Distribution is a joint venture company with Menzies. It is only involved in the wholesale distribution of news products. Menzies have no other involvement with Easons. Easons is still an independent company and is not owned in any way by Menzies

Menzies have no involvement in any retail businesses in either the UK or Ireland

• Advertisement

EM News Distribution is a joint venture company with Menzies. It is only involved in the wholesale distribution of news products. Menzies have no other involvement with Easons. Easons is still an independent company and is not owned in any way by Menzies

Menzies have no involvement in any retail businesses in either the UK or Ireland

Maybe you should pass this information onto the authors in Irish Retail News. I am only quoting from source.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

For the record, Menzies are also an airline handling agent in Dublin and the UK, possibily further afield.

Here is the most recent rumour from the manager to my mother to me. Dont you just love rumours but this appears to be first hand information.

They are selling off much of their stock on excellent bargains for the imminent take over by WH Smith of the building.

Ok Easons gone but at least we will still have a similar retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

WH Smith would be cool Limerick needs a good bookshop. Its only when your out of the country and you see the likes of Borders or Chapters in the states or some of the larger WH Smiths and the value within them you realise how badly screwed we are getting for books.

Cost wise we must only be behind Australia on book cost its a joke :(

As Berty said a like for like take over wouldn't be that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Bookstores in Germany: good section of foreign books, chairs and sofas everywhere to sit down and browse the pile of books you might want to buy. Sometimes even with a coffee... And not just in the big chain stores.
    Bookstores in Limerick: cramped, not a single chair, no amenities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Or places with a proper indexing system, where you can just search a title on a computer terminal and it will point you to shelf the book is on. Places like Borders are quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Bookstores in Germany: good section of foreign books, chairs and sofas everywhere to sit down and browse the pile of books you might want to buy. Sometimes even with a coffee... And not just in the big chain stores.
    Bookstores in Limerick: cramped, not a single chair, no amenities

Not exactly true; Easons have chair(s) downstairs in Limerick. There were two afaik. Big whoop, I know, but it's better than nothing.

I can't remember the name of the main bookstore in Waterford city centre, but it's class. Has a little café in the middle of the books where you can have a tea/coffee while browsing. It's a really nice bookstore.

Will be very sad if Easons go. That place, as cramped as it may be, is like an institution in Limerick cc. I always spend about an hour browsing in there whenever I'm in town. The staff are friendly as well, which is a novelty in Ireland at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Waterstones is the one in Waterford iirc.

As for Easons, its a good stand but a very poor layout imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well as long as its a company like WH Smith taking it over I have no problem with it, Easons is nothing short of a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Rineanna wrote: »
    Not exactly true; Easons have chair(s) downstairs in Limerick. There were two afaik. Big whoop, I know, but it's better than nothing.

I apologize! You're right! Easons appears in a completely different light now platsch.gif

;)

Advertisement