Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa

Options
  • 30-12-2008 10:13pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Will be buying a car in the new year (well I hope to anyway) and just wondering what people's thoughts are on opel corsas? Or opels in general. I was considering a yaris at first but I've a budget limit of €4,000-€5,000 (nearer the €4,000 mark if possible!) and I could get a much newer corsa for less so I'm considering one of those. I'm thinking a 2004 opel corsa since that would have been NCD-d in the last year as opposed to a 2005 one which would need to be NCD-d this year.
    Any thoughts or experiences with opel appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭marble

i had a '03 corsa...not a bad car to drive.the gearbox gave terrible trouble after 3yrs tho.got impossible to drive at 1 stage and i honestly dont think i'd ever go for another opel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

My cousin has one of these, 03.

Generally a nice car, but DO NOT get the 1.0 version.

It's a joke how underpowered the car is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Holsten wrote: »
    My cousin has one of these, 03.

Generally a nice car, but DO NOT get the 1.0 version.

It's a joke how underpowered the car is.

+1 i own one (01) soon to be getting rid of, its hard work to drive, going up any kinda hill is a nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

A Yaris -vs- a Corsa is a no brainer to be honest op....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 braf89

my girlfriend has a 1L 01 corsa ter a gud little car dont mind them previous posts if its a 1L your lookin for it is fairly nippy its not supposed to be rapid. ter not slow itl hit 80 in harly netime. well for a 1L. and b4 any1 says anything smart i do drive fast cars i had a 360bhp 300zx til bout 2wks ago and now have a mivec fto. but corsa is a gud car im not gone on the yaris's ter awful tinny the corsa's are much heavier and seem sturdier. best of luck anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No.. no it's not nippy, not by a long shot.

It's underpowered... VERY underpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Darragh29 wrote: »
    A Yaris -vs- a Corsa is a no brainer to be honest op....

+1

There is a reason why the Corsa is cheaper than a Yaris ....

The 98-00 Corsas gave stacks of trouble, and the newer model uses the same engine.

4000 will get you a 03 Corsa; you'll be lucky to get a 04 or 05 for that money ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP did you look at the Fiesta?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Hey there,

I'm a big car man myself, but generally rent an opel corsa for a month each summer... usually a 1.2, or a 1.3cdi...

all I can say is that these are great little cars... but not the 1.0's...

These cars (and I do prefer the 04 type) are great either in city or if your out on the motorway.. i've driven them flat out(165km/h) in autobahn (not quite unrestricted speeds, but it is to me as points are not a factor) -esque environments for over 350kms without a hitch.. bar having to refuel, as driving anything, even a mesely 1.2 at top speed uses up the juice quickly... you can even get these thins up to 175km, if you turn off the airconditioner and are lucky enough to be on a downhill section of motorway.

Anyways.. I love driving and cars... and my first impression upon hiring this car a few years ago was pessemistic... but once I had it for two weeks and had gotten it used to my style of driving.. i really liked it... and I returned a car that was driving far better than the one I had picked up...

considering that rental cars are driven by many different drivers with different styles, I found that the corsa is quite impressive... I've driven the new one... brand new... like a 1000 miles or so... and ones a near two years old with 75k kilometres on them, and they've been brilliant... relatively.... for the size, price etc... great wee cars alltogether... and as I said earlier.. the last generation is nicer in my opinion... especially the 5dr.

As I said I driven these cars intensely... 4000km's in one month type scenario... city, mountain, autobahn environments... the works, flat out, or gridlock in a heatwave... and there's nothing that I could fault them on... definitely gonna consider one of these when better half is in the market for her first car.

Good luck and have fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

.. in addition to my last post, I wanted to clarify something.

I was trying to make the point that rental cars are abused - not necessarily by high speed off road sort of driving, but by the fact that so many different people put the cars through their paces differently... I've often found that different drivers on a car is highly detrimental as clutching, gearing and acceleration, deceleration habits can vary enormously thus really testing a cars durability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

braf89 wrote: »
    the yaris's ter awful tinny the corsa's are much heavier and sturdier

There's only 33kgs in the weight difference. Theres always this Irish desire to have a car that is hewn from stone and weighs more than a small planet.....and then lob in an engine from a lawnmower.

Sure, isnt she fierce shturdy? Jaysus ha, sure she'll go on forever.

The Yaris is engineered to feel nippier than the corsa and so can feel less substantial as a result but its all down to perception. Id have the Yaris. Alternatively, what about a Fabia? Or a Jazz?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mr.David wrote: »
    There's only 33kgs in the weight difference. Theres always this Irish desire to have a car that is hewn from stone and weighs more than a small planet.....and then lob in an engine from a lawnmower.

You'd be amazed at the amount of people who buy a car based on if the door clunks, or makes a tinny sound when closed. My mother for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jaybagggy

im not sure if your budget allows it but the new corsas are a great little car,i bought one for my wife at the start of 08 after i test drove the 1.3 90ps diesel,they feel very roomy in the front,very sturdy ,good road holding,very nippy,and good fuel consumption,tax is only 150 euro per year,not much room in the back if the front passengers are tall but if you have kids ...lovely

Advertisement