Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my haridryer/GHD work in the US?

Options
  • 30-12-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

Some people say yes, others say I need a converter or else the GHD won't get very hot and the dryer will barely blow. Anyone know for sure?

Also, move this if it's in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure where to put it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

look at them and there will be a stamp in the plastic with electrical safety symbols and something like "AC 120/230 V 50/60hz" or some combination

if it says it will accept 110~120V and 60hz.. youre minted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Freddie Cork

The GHD is fine - just get an adaptor to change the SHAPE of the plug - but the voltage is okay. Anyone who told you otherwise is misinformed - the GHD will reach the same temperature, so don't listen to these idiots.
    My wife is just back from New York where she used her Pink GHD, and it worked fine. I checked the plug before she left and the input is 110v - 240v, so it's fine. This is what you need to check on your hair dryer. It'll be written on the plug, as per the previous post - but all GHDs do work fine abroad, as they're sold the same worldwide - they just change the shape of the plug on the end: not the voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is pretty safe to plug any 230-250V appliance into a US socket, since it will just possibly give it too low a power. While plugging stuff intended for 110V into 230V is the bigger problem/risk to be careful of.

Due to economies of scale it is often cheaper to make stuff just take 110-250V nowadays, with wider worldwide sales going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can't help you on the GHD thingy but when we were last there we had to buy a converter to charge our mp3 players, and possibly our mobiles as well - the charge was too low for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Just back from Cuba (same plugs as US) - the room had 110v and 220v - plugged it in to 220v and didn't work - brought it to electrical repair shop today and he says its fcked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement