Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you offer Sterling in Ireland?

Options
  • 30-12-2008 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Maybe this was asked before. If you go into a shop and they are using dual pricing on the label they are offering you two choice for payment? No? So if you offer the sterling cash, do they have to take it. Anyone with consumer knowledge here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Read on a thread here ... somebody went into one of the UK stores: Next/Warehouse/ ... dual price tag, was £60/€90 .. asked at the till about accepting £. Went round the corner to a bank and got £ and went back and made the saving.

It may not be accepted in all stores but its worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You can offer sterling but there is no legal obligation on the store to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

chilly wrote: »
    You can offer sterling but there is no legal obligation on the store to accept it.
    But if its Says 10 Pound. why can't we offer 10 Pound ( I don't expect you to answer that) Its seems ok to me.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

They're not legally obliged to, no.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Price-display/
    Q5. If prices are quoted or labelled in £ sterling does a consumer have a right to then pay in £ sterling?

No. Under current consumer legislation there is no obligation on a trader to accept payment in any currency other than euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

But if its Says 10 Pound. why can't we offer 10 Pound ( I don't expect you to answer that) Its seems ok to me.

Because it means that the store has a float of £ in a country where € is the currency. It means they cannot circulate it as easily. They need to transfer it and lose a tiny bit on converting it to € or transport it... it's hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Karoma wrote: »
    Because it means that the store has a float of £ in a country where € is the currency. It means they cannot circulate it as easily. They need to transfer it and lose a tiny bit on converting it to € or transport it... it's hassle.
    But you pay in £ and they give you change in yoyos

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

But you pay in £ and they give you change in yoyos

And where is the £? It's hassle for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

At the end of the day .. the £ is not legal tender here. So if they say no, nothing much you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maybe this was asked before. If you go into a shop and they are using dual pricing on the label they are offering you two choice for payment? No?
    No. dual pricing should result in lower prices for people on both sides, due to economies of scale. They just get one label printed up, they can sell it in € or £ zones, so can freely move merchandise around without the added cost of relabelling. I heard somebody saying they saw people in dunnes taking off the £ prices. This sickens me, when I now go to dunnes I know part of the cost of my items is to pay somebody to do this, just to appease idiots.

If you went into easons would you expect to pay for the NY times in the US$ quoted price on the paper? Or to be able to buy any magazine with a £ price on it in sterling, at that quoted £ price? This has been the situation for f**king decades! why are people suddenly questioning it about clothes without thinking about this...

Advertisement