Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiweb modem/wifi configuration

Options
  • 31-12-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

hi folks

I'm trying to help out a neighbour getting his wireless network goin. hope you can help

He's on digiweb broadband and has one of their modems. He's now gone out and bought a Philips SNK5600 wireless router.

When I go through the installation as per the cd we get as far as testing the settings and it says the device is not connected and check the cables. I have connected the modem to the wan port of the router and the router to the pc then via lan port 1 as per instructions , and I know the cables are ok.

I can actually get it online if I plug the modem into the router via Lan Port 1 and then connect the PC using Lan Port 2. The problem is that I cant log into the admin page of the router then to configure the wireless settings

Its such a pain in the a$$, can anyone tell me where I',m going wrong?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Power off the modem and the router. Connect the modem to the router. Power on the thomson modem and wait a minute. Power on the router. If the router is working properly it should then get all the network details it needs and be able to serve any other computers connected behind the router.

Generally you can power up the modem and router at the same time, but there's always the odd device that doesn't behave normally and needs a live connection the second it's booted.

If none of that works, it's a configuration issue with the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

just some more information;

I've brought it home to my own setup, I have UPc broadband modem and when I connect up here I was able to log into the admin page of the philips router. I was able to configure the wireless network on the desktop and I was thn able to connect to it on my laptop. My laptop then acquired a public IP address whereas my desktop had a local IP address. I was not able to get online from my desktop but I was able to on my laptop.

I presume the problem is all IP related. anyone know the settings for digi web broadband, do I need to give the router a static IP or wil it take it automaticaly from the modem

thanks for any help

Moriarty wrote: »
    Power off the modem and the router. Connect the modem to the router. Power on the thomson modem and wait a minute. Power on the router. If the router is working properly it should then get all the network details it needs and be able to serve any other computers connected behind the router.

Generally you can power up the modem and router at the same time, but there's always the odd device that doesn't behave normally and needs a live connection the second it's booted.

If none of that works, it's a configuration issue with the router.

thanks for the suggestion moriarty. I think I did try that. I'm pretty sure its just not configured properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Does it have
    1) 4 ethernet sockets and one separate ethernet socket for the modem?

OR

2) 4 ethernet sockets and a smaller 5th socket for ADSL/Phone line?

A search seems to suggest it is (1) which is correct, but you still must connect the Modem to the 5th special ethernet socket, not one of the 4 regular ones.
    Also you must power off the Modem before connecting it or it will still be looking at IP it gave out to PC and won't re-issue one for the Router.

The Router's WAN ethernet port should be set to Automatic/DHCP and Automatic DNS, not PPoE or PPoA or Static.

got it going anyway and you guys were right it was just a matter of booting the router first and the modem after that

thanks for the help folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement