Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this the end of speeding forever?

Options
  • 31-12-2008 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Satellite controlled motoring.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7803997.stm

Madness, if you ask me. Or a "really, really bad thing", if you ask Quentin Wilson. Could cause more accidents than it prevents. The voluntary over-ride mooted might have merit. Probably mean tougher punishments though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I always stay within the stated limits (your honour).

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Aren't the speed limits just guide lines; like traffic lights and road signs and police cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

That's bull****!

I always keep to the speed limit but I don't want to be forced to keep to the limit, and that's how it starts first it's "voluntary" then it suddenly becomes mendatory.

Police state, soon you won't be able to take a **** freely cause you'd be producing more "emissions", why not just lock everyone up in cages that will prevent, accidents, murders, rapes, everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

F-Stop wrote: »
    Aren't the speed limits just guide lines?

Or targets? I've never timed it but it would be an interesting statistic to see how fast one can do 0 to twice the speed limit after a toll booth on an empty motorway?

(this GPS governor thingy will never happen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aghastlrbaboon

ah the granny state...3 days out of the week a white van parks 200m down the road from my house. i see it nail people every day. the justification i think is about a month before it started popping up the council installed these cheesy euro trash speed camera signs with a little girl on it that flashes a green thank you if ur driving below and a menacing red 'slow down' if ur tearing down the road.

The main problem i have is i live on a hill and the limit is 50 which if ur ballsy enough to reach 3rd gear is easy to slip over.

Im living in a state of constant fear now of being ass raped by the white van that lives at the bottom of my road. Somebody help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

A few problems with that system...

You can still break red lights, overtake dangerously, drink and drive, hit a pedestrian, take drugs and drive, skid on ice, not wear a seatbelt, drive with no lights on, fall asleep while driving, be an unaccompanied learner driver, be from a different country....

Speeding is not the only reason for accidents, what is done about all the other rules of the road? Nothing. Just catching people speeding mostly.

The government will never implement this because they make too much money from catching people driving over the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Death by dangerous driving your honour? How is that possible? I was under the speed limit. I should know, I was staring at the speedometer the whole time!

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Stupid as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

You can still break red lights,
    Or amber ones as many do.
    Speeding is not the only reason for accidents, what is done about all the other rules of the road? Nothing. Just catching people speeding mostly.
    True, but the kind of person who ignores speed rules is quite likely to have a general disregard for other inconvenient safety rules.
    The government will never implement this because they make too much money from catching people driving over the speed limit.
    Any profit from speed fines would be dwarfed by the savings in health care and a general improvement in the quality of life. But knowing, Ireland, there'll be a such a raft of exceptions added, it'll be ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

The following:

"She said truck drivers using speed-limiting devices had been shown to "go into fatigue mode or zombie mode" and stopped paying attention to the road. "

A lot of vehicles have cruise control these days - would it not have the same effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This has been claimed as 'helping emissions' - I wonder what % of the low total carbon emissions put out by cars are done by people doing 140 in 5th/6th on the motorway, and what % are done by grannies doing 70 in second gear in their Micra for their entire journey...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

*Sigh. Good luck to anybody who installs this device. In this country the digital tracking of our speed limits is faulty as it uses as outdated GPS to map Irish roads which if anybody knows the Sat Nav System(same system) is out of sync save for the major roads.

SOooooooooooooo, if I am driving on a regional road in Co Limerick where the roads are all over the place will my car stop because it thinks the speed limit is 0 or give me an unlimited speed because of the lack of road.

Judge "You killed eleven people and their dog out for a walk"
    Me "It was Google Earths fault"
    Judge "Fine, you are free to go, bring in Google Earth"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's bad enough already with speed restricted trucks taking 5km to overtake each other without doing the same with cars!!

Total waste of money that could be better spent on driver education through better traffic enforcement and punishment of bad driving imo.

I'm off to the shops and will probably kill 100 people as I drive along a straight unpopulated back road at 55kmh because we all know that being over the 50kph speed limit is terminal.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_yorkshire/2943380.stm

I wouldnt mind this;
    as long as;
    1) Its not too expensive
    2) Someone can make good maps and the councils dont change them every 2 weeks
    3) Its easily overridable if i want
    4) No data is stored or sent back on when i went over the limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Until someone can make available a 100% guaranteed correct map of Ireland (or anywhere else for that matter) with all roads combined with the correct speed limit (i.e. never) this kind of thing is a non-starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I think there's a serious case to be made for american-style driver's-ed classes in transition year, or some such......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

This is like DRM but for cars. If they go through with this or any other plan that involves a mandatory GPS type thing I'm moving to Antarctica

cjmcork wrote: »
    I think there's a serious case to be made for american-style driver's-ed classes in transition year, or some such......................

I did road safety / actual driving lessons in transition year... had to go to Goffs for it, but I suspect that seeing as theres now a private 'driving campus' 10 mins down the road from the school they'll be using there from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A possible scenario: You are driving on a road with an 80k speed limit, and you come up behind a car that's doing 60 k. There's a car coming the other way, but you have plenty of time to overtake and you move out to do so. Unfortunately the driver you are overtaking doesn't use his mirrors, and he doesn't know you are there. As the road is straight, he speeds up to 70k. Ok, no problem. You give the loud pedal some wellie to get past, and creep over 80 for a moment. The satellite speed limiter doesn't approve of that and it applies your brakes. As the driver you now only have one control -- the steering wheel, and you can use that power to either enjoy a head on collision with the oncoming car or you can sideswipe the one you are trying to overtake.

I'm sure any of us can think of many other scenarios where death or injury could be the result of an arbitary electronic system applying brakes or slowing the engine unexpectedly. And no, cruise control doesn't do that because if it brakes when you don't want it to a dab on the acellerator disconnects it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

ART6 wrote: »
    A possible scenario: You are driving on a road with an 80k speed limit, and you come up behind a car that's doing 60 k. There's a car coming the other way, but you have plenty of time to overtake and you move out to do so. Unfortunately the driver you are overtaking doesn't use his mirrors, and he doesn't know you are there. As the road is straight, he speeds up to 70k. Ok, no problem. You give the loud pedal some wellie to get past, and creep over 80 for a moment. The satellite speed limiter doesn't approve of that and it applies your brakes. As the driver you now only have one control -- the steering wheel, and you can use that power to either enjoy a head on collision with the oncoming car or you can sideswipe the one you are trying to overtake.

I'm sure any of us can think of many other scenarios where death or injury could be the result of an arbitary electronic system applying brakes or slowing the engine unexpectedly. And no, cruise control doesn't do that because if it brakes when you don't want it to a dab on the acellerator disconnects it.

well obviously they would have a mandatory gun installed in the back of the other guys seat so they can execute him remotely for speeding up to 70. or else take over his car and drive him to the next ferry to Guantanamo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

towel401 wrote: »
    This is like DRM but for cars. If they go through with this or any other plan that involves a mandatory GPS type thing I'm moving to Antarctica

Exactly.
    Would be the push a lot of us need to finally get out of here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Not saying this would happen, but a properly maintained and implemented system should be able to spot the collision about to happen and would force the other two cars to brake.

I would prefer a system that stopped cars breaking lights, rear ending other cars or just plain inattentiveness on the drivers part. Would be a much better use of our money. Coupled to algorithms for traffic flows and recommended cruising speeds I'm sure a free flow system could be implemented on main roads with blocks of moving traffic not having to wait at red lights while travelling on the road, others being queued to join at the back of the nearest block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

SteveC wrote: »
    I'm off to the shops and will probably kill 100 people as I drive along a straight unpopulated back road at 55kmh because we all know that being over the 50kph speed limit is terminal.:rolleyes:
    And while at the shops, will you do a spot of shop-lifting because 'we all know' it's covered by insurance?

You're either law-abiding or you're not.

Not saying this would happen, but a properly maintained and implemented system should be able to spot the collision about to happen and would force the other two cars to brake.

Impossible for two reasons:

1: GPS is not THAT accurate. Depending on vendor/calibration of the units, it could assume that car 1 is up to 10 metres in a different direction to car 2 and that no incident is going to happen

2: If both cars could brake and prevent the incident happening, they would. For such an incident to happen there has to be not enough braking distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Or you could cancel the limiter and speed up over the limit
    or you could break and then slide back in behind the other car

Advertisement