Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player to watch in 2009

• 31-12-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says who do you think will be the player to watch in 2009. Who will grab the headlines and make the armchair pundits across europe talk them up to the hilt. This is open for all leagues not just the premiership.

I will start it off and go with: Kun Aguero

This guy keeps up the way he is going then a big money move to a European giant is imminent with Barca looking likely if rumours are to believed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Aguero and Messi behind Eto'o would certainly be one of the most exciting forward lines in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Messi.

Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think this could be my breakthrough year. Watch this space.

Must be coming near Freddie Adu time aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Ronaldinho to keep up his improvement, help Milan win the league and get back to the same level he was at before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Luis Suarez at Ajax to get a bit more exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Benzema for defs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Eboue

He's gonna have a great 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Young up and coming talent - Gonzalo Higuain/ Aguero.

World Player of the Year Material - Messi.

Argentine bonanza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I dont think hes going to set the world alight or anything near it...but if Lucas keeps playing as he has in December, I think a lot more people will take note of him. Hes still only 21 and up until now hasnt looked like the player he was hyped up to be...but Ive been very very impressed with him of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've been following this young player for the last 12 months, he plays at Standard Liege and I expect him to make a jump to a bigger team by the end of the summer. His name is Axel Witsel.

The other one is at AC Milan, I seen him play in the Uefa Cup for them and he looks the business, his name is Alexandre Pato.

Who knows maybe Nani will come good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

world stage:

Aguero
    Benzema

Premier League:

Carlos Vela
    Krisztian Nemeth (top scorer in the reserve league last season, 13 goals in 8 games for Hungary U-21s. A class act)

Kevin Foley.

Giuseppe Rossi.

Nani.

Anderson.

Hamsik.

Ezequiel Lavezzi.

Daniel Sturridge.

Jack Collison.

Gonzalo Higuaín.

Kerrison.

Guy Assulin.

Sergio Busquets.

Jay Simpson.

Steven Defour.

Keith Fahey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Theo Walcott.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Luis Suarez at Ajax to get a bit more exposure.

think he was linked to Villa a while back, would love if he got his exposure there, though i doubt Ajax would want to let him go considering Huntelaar is now at Madrid, although they did pay a record fee for a striker only this season with that Sulejmani guy from Heerenveen.

he is exactley the type of player i think Villa need imo, would be a great signing and can play in a AM role too from what a dutch mate of mine says although maybe thats a mix between AM/suport striker as ive never seen him mentioned as a midfielder before. Still 21 too (turns 22 next month).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I thought this would be for relatively unknown or breaking through players. I'm sure most of us are already watching Aguero, Messi and the like.

Anyway, Daniel Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah Messi is the obvious one. He is clearly the best player in the world at the moment and one can only hope he stays injury free for as long as possible, he really is amazing to watch no matter who you support. Aguero truly is another class act as people have mentioned.

From an Arsenal biased point of view you can't look past Vela and Wilshere if they are given the chance. Wilshere may still be a bit young but Wenger says that when they turn 17 they are good to go so with a bit of luck he'll get his chance. Vela is just class and hopefully he'll burst onto the scenes in the new year á la Eduardo last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    I thought this would be for relatively unknown or breaking through players. I'm sure most of us are already watching Aguero, Messi and the like.

Anyway, Daniel Sturridge.

Fair point but the majority on here dont follow la liga and only know about the likes of Aguero from the odd article linking him with Chelsea. I did not mention Messi as he is already a global phenomenon and the best player on the planet at the moment in many peoples eyes . Hence why I asked player to watch 2009 meaning a new up and comer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

from what ive heard from a mate that now does my old job covering the south american leagues on Tran World Sport and from my experience of him from FM id say should anyone sign him Luilinha from Corinthians will be huge, he is still young though so might not make the move this year.

Unknown talent? Then I really think Hernanes will blossom, as well as Zarate, Lavezzi, Gai Assulun and finally Xavi Torres (how the fcuk could he fail with a name like that... :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

eZe^ wrote: »
    Unknown talent? Then I really think Hernanes will blossom, as well as Zarate, Lavezzi, Gai Assulun and finally Xavi Torres (how the fcuk could he fail with a name like that... :pac:)
    classic:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

thought i was in the football manager forum for a bit... :pac:

personally, i second the Luis Suarez nomination. Now that Huntelaar has gone from Ajaz, Suarez should get a lot more exposure. tbh, from my experience most Ajax fans seem to rate him very good, as good as Huntelaar if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Depending on how well Bayern get on in europe, i'd keep an eye out for Toni Kroos, young attacking midfielder, looks a cracking player, shift over Ballack.

thought i was in the football manager forum for a bit... :pac:

personally, i second the Luis Suarez nomination. Now that Huntelaar has gone from Ajaz, Suarez should get a lot more exposure. tbh, from my experience most Ajax fans seem to rate him very good, as good as Huntelaar if not better.

Isn't Suarez a winger? I say that because at the Emirates cup there was a winger who played amazingly for Ajax, and scored one absolute peach of a goal (and for some reason in that game there was another amazing goal a few minutes before or after Suarez's, it was Huntelaar from outside the box if I remember correctly). Fairly sure it was Suarez. Maybe I'm getting completely mixed up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Jay Simpson.

He's going on loan to West Brom so most people here will actually see quite a bit of him. It will be a good test for him as they are struggling to find the net and at the bottom of the league.

It's been a long time since Arsene Wenger showed so much faith in a English youngster, but he is an established force in Arsenal's reserves and some Premiership gametime will really test his mettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Mauro Zarate
    Steven Defour
    Roderigo Possebon
    Sercan Yildirim
    Mario Balotelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Emiliano Adrian Insúa Zapata looks the real deal to me. 2009 could be a huge year for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If its for young players making their breakthrough, it'd be Rafael I think. 18 year old just signed to first chioce RB for PL and CL winners. Fantastic achievement.

As for top players to watch, I think the rest of the season could belong to either Rooney or Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Chiellini could become a member of the World XI this season. Lavessi at Napoli is looking great and Felipe of Udinese is having his best season. Hugo Lloris to become massive too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

*just realised that age isnt really relevant*

he is still just meh, as Eze put it....never lived up to wat he could have been imo.

Plus, he cant really score this season.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    As for top players to watch, I think the rest of the season could belong to either Rooney or Messi.

To be fair, Rooney is going to have perform like he has never ever done in his career to overthrow Messi this season. Especially considering how good Messi has been the 1st half of the season, compared to Rooney being the epitome of meh so far. If Rooney is twice as good as Messi over the next 5 months then I'll admit I was wrong, but I think it's highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eZe^ wrote: »
    Isn't Suarez a winger? I say that because at the Emirates cup there was a winger who played amazingly for Ajax, and scored one absolute peach of a goal (and for some reason in that game there was another amazing goal a few minutes before or after Suarez's, it was Huntelaar from outside the box if I remember correctly). Fairly sure it was Suarez. Maybe I'm getting completely mixed up though.

thats the chap, he was brought in after they sold Babel to pool and plays pretty much that exact position, LWF, though can drift over and attack from the right as well, has a great sense of space and where to find it. Very good finisher as well, gets a load of goals despite being in a more withdrawn, creative role then the likes of Huntelaar. His youtubes are well worth a watch as well, frankly i'd kill to have him at pool, would swap Babel for him in a heartbeat (and i really like Babel!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought we were talking about 2009 Eze?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Aguero at Madrid seems to have it all. Time will tell i guess.

PHB wrote: »
    I thought we were talking about 2009 Eze?

Ah, from Jan 09 to Dec 09? My bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

either way, if rooney is in it i'll chew my own foot off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Sergio Busquets (20) is worth a mention. He has muscled his way into the Barca team this season and they just tied him to a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

JJ O'Toole :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

John O'Shea. This is going to be his year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pato, Yoann Gourcuff, Messi, Lee Trundle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Carlos Vela (if he gets a chance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'd add Wilshere, Ramsey, Possebon ,Giovinco and Zarate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

nathan delfouneso

Helix wrote: »
    nathan delfouneso

From my lurking in the Villa thread I really wanna see this kid play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Frisbee wrote: »
    From my lurking in the Villa thread I really wanna see this kid play!

he started against zilina and hamburg in the uefa, scoring in both

Helix wrote: »
    he started against zilina and hamburg in the uefa, scoring in both

Unfortunately the only English teams I saw in Europe were Citeh and Pompey.
    He certainly does sound good though, one to watch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Boggles wrote: »
    Berbatov.

Not hard to watch either as he doesn't move very much... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Park to find his finishing boots and get into double figures for season...
    Robbie Keane to just about keep liverpool in the top 4...
    Fellaini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

only1stevo wrote: »
    Robbie Keane to just about keep liverpool in the top 4...

Teee heee, you should take this show on the road buddy! Highlarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

If any of the English or Spanish teams take a punt on him, Arda Turan.

Would love to see him at the Toon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement