Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heron Photo... C&C

• 31-12-2008 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Got this shot one afternoon at the end of the Summer. I'm an total amateur so would welcome my first C&Cs. Also would you have shot him differently (photographically speaking!)?

Taken with a Fuji s6500fd.

Thanks,
    Gary

hheron.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's a grand shot considering what you shot it with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Totally agree with Kenneth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

its a great shot -

in my opinion a heron pic - you want to see it in action - catching or eating something.

(only herons I photo'd are in the Zoo - near the owls)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Very sharp image, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Great pic - good camera too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

kensutz wrote: »

You know, i'd be a little peeved if I asked for a c&c on a picture and i got the above. Its a little patronising. Its like you actually think the picture is a bit crap, but, hey ! shot on a P&S, so not too bad considering. If you think the picture has flaws, then say so, or don't comment. Judge it on its own merits, not what it was shot with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

You've a New Years Eve hangover....admit it.

I don't think there's anything patronising in the comment. He did well considering heron's would fly off if you got anywhere close to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I don't think there's anything patronising in the comment. He did well considering heron's would fly off if you got anywhere close to them.

The value of a photograph does not lie in the camera they used to make the photograph. Your first comment was in my view, far short of recognising it.

OP, I think it's a great shot. The resolution available to me suggests that it's pinsharp, despite being shadowside, the eye is crystal clear and the depth of field is lovely.

Where I would have an issue is that the feathers on the neck of the heron are somewhat overexposed - if you use Photoshop at all, it might be worth seeing if you can adjust that. If not, let me know and I'll give you a few hints of what I mean.

While you have a super close up of him, depending on what else was in frame, I might have zoomed out a little, and that's my main thing that I would have done differently.

Otherwise a lovely photograph. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The s6500 and s9000 are fine cameras. I'v seen shots taken with them that rival some slrs only pity there not made any more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Thanks for all the comments!
    kensutz wrote:
    You know, i'd be a little peeved if I asked for a c&c on a picture and i got the above. Its a little patronising. Its like you actually think the picture is a bit crap, but, hey ! shot on a P&S, so not too bad considering.

Yeah that's the impression I got too! But eh - all comments and opinions welcome! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't diss the Fuji s6500fd, I wouldn't class it as a point and shoot... it has full manual control and a 28-300mm equivalent lens with twist barrel control etc etc. Check out it's full review if you're not familiar with it. Excellent camera for the price imo (cost me €220 new). Only downside sometimes is it's only 6MP... but having the same size sensor as it's 9MP brother means it can shoot great shots at 1/4000 sec!
    fuji.jpg
    As a young student a DSLR would be completely out of the question! Some day!
    PCPhoto wrote:
    in my opinion a heron pic - you want to see it in action - catching or eating something.
    Yeah very true. I might stalk him some day he's out on the corrib again. Would be great to get a shot like this;
    DrHermannBrehm.jpg
    Calina wrote:
    OP, I think it's a great shot. The resolution available to me suggests that it's pinsharp, despite being shadowside, the eye is crystal clear and the depth of field is lovely.

Where I would have an issue is that the feathers on the neck of the heron are somewhat overexposed - if you use Photoshop at all, it might be worth seeing if you can adjust that. If not, let me know and I'll give you a few hints of what I mean.

Thanks Calina! I don't have great editing software so if you wouldn't mind attacking it with photoshop that'd be great!

Here's the original photo
    . As you can see all I did do with the image above was increase the contrast.

Thanks for all the other positive comments! ;)

Oh sorrrrrry. (apologises) :rolleyes:

Advertisement