Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2000 VW Golf

Options
  • 31-12-2008 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this...

Its a 2000 3door VW Golf btw

right......

The timing belt snapped on it and we got the whole head done. Drove for two months with no problems but then the oil light started flashing. Changed the shell barings, oil pump but the yoke is still flashing. If you drive the car hard at a high rev the oil light goes off but once you cruise or slow down the oil light come back on and beeps but if you take off the oil cap off and hold a steady rev you can see the oil circulating..........

What the problem?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd start by checking the actual oil pressure, if you're lucky it may just be a dodgy oil pressure sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

dlambirl wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this...

Its a 2000 3door VW Golf btw

right......

The timing belt snapped on it and we got the whole head done. Drove for two months with no problems but then the oil light started flashing. Changed the shell barings, oil pump but the yoke is still flashing. If you drive the car hard at a high rev the oil light goes off but once you cruise or slow down the oil light come back on and beeps but if you take off the oil cap off and hold a steady rev you can see the oil circulating..........

What the problem?!!

Not the end of the world OP. Sounds like whatever problem you have is a function of oil pressure. Try changing the oil filter first. You have to be very careful with this type of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd start by checking the actual oil pressure, if you're lucky it may just be a dodgy oil pressure sensor.

Why were the shell bearings changed?

Did the person who replaced the oil pump not check the oil pressure before / after the oil pump change?

I presume when the shell bearings & oil pump were changed, that the oil pick up point was checked, there's usually a metal gauze that can get gummed up...

If it is just the pressure sensor as is suggested above, someone's after doing a fair amount of work for nothing...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Not the end of the world OP. Sounds like whatever problem you have is a function of oil pressure. Try changing the oil filter first. You have to be very careful with this type of problem.

Not too familiar with this engine, is the oil pressure sensor before or after the oil filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

You don't specify which engine but I'm guessing it's the 1.4 ?

Failure of the oil pressure sensor is a known problem on these engines, much more so than other cars. One sensor is screwed into the side of the head, very easy to get at. There may be a second on these - VW typically have two sensors, one with lower sensitivity than the other.

Sensors can be colour coded by the plastic insulator. Best got from the main dealer using the chassis number to be sure you are getting the right one. Not expensive - last one I got was about 12 euros. Less than 5 mins to fit.

Because the sensors are a know weak spot on VW, and because they are so cheap, I'd try changing it first.

If you are still using the car, and if the oil pressure was genuinely low, the engine is unlikely to last very long.

On the 1.8 Turbo petrols, the gauze on the oil pump pickup can get blocked causing oil starvation, but havn't heard of this on 1.4.

Advertisement