Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noel Hunt

• 31-12-2008 1:45am

The less ugly of the duo.

What do you think of him as a player, is he good enough for ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think he's good enough for the squad. From what I've observed most Reading fans seem to hate Long and they seem to think very highly of Noel Hunt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I thought he was great at Rovers, haven't seen him since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

good squad player. No harm having him on the bench ahead of Daryl Murphy and Anthony Stokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I think he's good enough for the squad. From what I've observed most Reading fans seem to hate Long and they seem to think very highly of Noel Hunt.

They don't hate Long. They think he's inconsistent and he hasn't had enough playing time to develop. Hate is such a strong word...

Noel is doing well for Reading and deserves to be in the Ireland squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Only time I have watched him play was for Rovers and the Poland game.

He obviously deserves a place in the squad.

• Advertisement

Pure Cork wrote: »
    They don't hate Long. They think he's inconsistent and he hasn't had enough playing time to develop. Hate is such a strong word...

That's not the sense I've been getting. From message boards that I've read, most fans want him sold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Hes regular for Reading and is banging in the goals. Can we really afford not to include him? Folan, Stokes, Murphy and Long can't even make it into thir club sides so really Hunt should be one of the first names of Traps squad after Keane and Doyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

That's not the sense I've been getting. From message boards that I've read, most fans want him sold on.

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82989

The majority of people there think he should be loaned out to get some playing time, experience, and confidence. Some people think he should stay as their third choice striker. Sure there's a couple who think he should be sold or released, but "hate" is hardly the word.

Pure Cork wrote: »
    http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82989

The majority of people there think he should be loaned out to get some playing time, experience, and confidence. Some people think he should stay as their third choice striker. Sure there's a couple who think he should be sold or released, but "hate" is hardly the word.

As you say there's people on the thread who want him gone and here's some comments from Reading fans on the BBC boards:
    Shane Long is not good enough - sell him

I have to say Shane Long is just not good enough for Reading. Did not pay attention whatsoever, gets the basics completely wrong, caught offside loads of times, the list goes on and on.

Why on why is he still with our club? SC said he is expecting more of him this season & that he needs to deliver - but sorry I can't see it.

Another user:
    About time people cottoned onto Shane Long..... I've been saying he should go for ages!!!

And another:
    Long should be dropped, not just from our team but down about 3 divisions.

As I say I read comments like this all the time. Hate is a strong word but I feel it's appropriate in this case. I get the sense most of them don't like the guy.

If you disagree fair enough but this is the impression I get. I'd personally not be bothered if Long gets his spot in the Irish set-up taken by Hunt as Hunt is doing the business on a regular basis for Reading.

whats good about Hunt though?

is he fast, strong, a good passer/finisher, good technique?

or is he similar to his brother, not great but puts in ****loads of effort

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

whats good about Hunt though?

is he fast, strong, a good passer/finisher, good technique?

or is he similar to his brother, not great but puts in ****loads of effort

he scores goals . regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

He shares his brother's work rate but has a much better end product. Definitely no harm in putting him in the squad and using him as an impact sub, then see how he developes from there.

Advertisement