Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill Hicks

• 31-12-2008 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Apologies if this has been discussed before (im sure it has) but ive looked trough the 2 pages on stand up and couldnt find an entry

I just finished watching Bill Hicks and i must say i think he is probably the best comedian ive ever seen very political and thought provoking

shame he died so young

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

thought he was alright. Nothing major imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The man is a legend.

Also, I hate Dennis Leary because he just strikes me as a major Bill Hicks wannabe without the intelligence to back it up. Simply shouting does not a funny make. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

just finished watching rentless and thought it was excellent i think the only negative point is his "goatboy" rant apart from that some very educated comedy

guess each to their own thats the joy of comedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I used to be a massive Hicks fan, still am but now not so much as a fan of his comedy.

Then I realised that most of what I was cheering wasn't because it was particularly funny, but because I agreed with it and admired his sheer passion when saying it.

Not the funniest comedian ever, but still a legend imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

Chinafoot wrote: »
    The man is a legend.

Also, I hate Dennis Leary because he just strikes me as a major Bill Hicks wannabe without the intelligence to back it up. Simply shouting does not a funny make. :)

go to youtube and type bill hicks vs dennis leary it shows how leary ripped off the majority of his material from hicks there is even a joke by hicks himself about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭magicass

hey guys, just wondering how did bill die in the end ive always wanted to know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

magicass wrote: »
    hey guys, just wondering how did bill die in the end ive always wanted to know?

Pancreatic cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Pancreatic cancer.

now that aint funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

anyone believe that the government had anything to do with his death?
    there has been an urban myth floating about this for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

sitout wrote: »

No

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

sitout wrote: »

Only retarded spas with no arms or legs believe that. FACT

FX Meister wrote: »
    Only retarded spas with no arms or legs believe that. FACT

so your mom likes bill hicks nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

anyone interested:
    google (video search) "dave tv + Bill Hicks"!
    you'll find a pbs programme called dave tv - hicks gave his last interview to his presenter friend on that show, answers call ins etc... you can see the cancer is beginning to wear him out, but he still has stuff to say!!!

Hicks is a legend, and Leary is not the only 'copy cat' - just the boldest! jack Dee... ah, heck, most under 40 standups have copied him at some point! And ALL are gutless cowards compared to him!!!
    well...in my humble opinion!

government did not kill him. why would they go to the cancer trouble and let leary live, or alex jones...

but then again?

sorry, I'm on a bad mobile connection - so no links, but watch the dave tv thing, and for g*dsake: watch 'one night stand' - the 30 minute ch4 special!!!!!!!!

so your mom likes bill hicks nice.

Watch it, that kinda crap isn't welcome here

orestes wrote: »
    Watch it, that kinda crap isn't welcome here
    it was meant as a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

it was meant as a joke

If it was a joke then it would have been funny.

I think it is the delivery that makes what Hicks had to say funny rather then the content.
    3167912365_8584acb0df_m.jpg

it was meant as a joke

That is irrelevant, it was still abusive and uncalled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

He was alright. As far as dead social commentators/comedians go, George Carlin kicks his ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

That is irrelevant, it was still abusive and uncalled for.

yea i agree, free speach is frowned on in this part of the forum. So cop on magic ass.

yea i agree, free speach is frowned on in this part of the forum. So cop on magic ass.

You do not have the right to free speech (or any rights at all) anywhere on this site as it is privately owned. If you have issue with my moderating take it to feedback or the help-desk, don't have a go in a thread and derail it.

If anyone posts another abusive or off-topic post in this thread it will result in a ban.

• Advertisement

He was alright. As far as dead social commentators/comedians go, George Carlin kicks his ass.

+1 from me on that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Flamed Diving

How can you say this about Carlin?? He is to Bill Hicks what Eddie Murphy is to Richard Prior.................a complete fraud and copycat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJQ2w77Z4wA

I rest my case m'lud.

frag420 wrote: »
    Flamed Diving

How can you say this about Carlin?? He is to Bill Hicks what Eddie Murphy is to Richard Prior.................a complete fraud and copycat.

I rest my case m'lud.

Carlin was performing that style of comedy about 20 years before Hicks started doing comedy, I find it kinda hard to see how he could have been ripping him off

Carlin was performing that style of comedy about 20 years before Hicks started doing comedy, I find it kinda hard to see how he could have been ripping him off

Pff. You can prove anything with facts.

frag420 wrote: »
    Flamed Diving

I rest my case m'lud.

See post 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I was a big fan of Hicks at the time he was out
    Still am to some extent, have listened to the two big cd's and thought they were great

Made the mistake of buying his live in philly one (pretty sure it was philly)
    Not edited like his others,
    Awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

it's a shame that these days he mainly has relevance when stoned students quote his material at 3am to justify their lifestyle choices despite overwhelming medical advice to the contrary.

other than that he did what he did very well, accessibly and unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

steof1984 wrote: »
    just finished watching rentless and thought it was excellent i think the only negative point is his "goatboy" rant apart from that some very educated comedy

guess each to their own thats the joy of comedy

The 'goatboy' *cough* monologue cleared about half a dozen folk from the front row of the Tivoli Theatre, when he played in Dublin. He really pumped it up with an extra dose of Pedobear, filthbag stuff.

I liked him, amazing how little of the material has aged, get the extended Oxford 2xCD if you liked the film. Also, get 'Sane Man' on DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm a massive fan of Bill Hicks. For me him and Pryor are up there as the all time greats. Maybe I'd give the nod to Pryor over him, just. I disagree with the above comment that Carlin is funnier than Hicks. No way. I like Carlin but I think Hicks blows him away. Some of his political stuff is scarily relevant twenty years on. Some of his work was really extreme alright, particularly when he goes into sex, but I think it's just as hilarious. Also love his joke about the LA Riots.

"Remember those pictures of people being pulled out of their trucks and being clubbed, was I the only one thinking to myself...step on the f*cking gas man. You're on a truck, they're on foot...I think I see a way out of this."

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

I'm a massive fan of Bill Hicks. For me him and Pryor are up there as the all time greats. Maybe I'd give the nod to Pryor over him, just. I disagree with the above comment that Carlin is funnier than Hicks. No way. I like Carlin but I think Hicks blows him away. Some of his political stuff is scarily relevant twenty years on. Some of his work was really extreme alright, particularly when he goes into sex, but I think it's just as hilarious. Also love his joke about the LA Riots.

"Remember those pictures of people being pulled out of their trucks and being clubbed, was I the only one thinking to myself...step on the f*cking gas man. You're on a truck, they're on foot...I think I see a way out of this."

:D

Totally agree with pretty much everything you said there!

Also to OP: try pick up Love All The People, it has the majority of Hicks' routines and a bunch of backstory in it, great book for any Hicks fan to own!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

I'm a fan of Hicks (this feels like starting a sentence with "i'm not a racist but. . .") but I think there was a bit of "I dare you not to find this shocking". A bit like a spoilt teenager.

Would he have been such a revelation if he wasn't an American performing to an American audience who were used to more homogenised comedy?

It takes balls and talent to pull off the angry young man bit for a whole show and still provide laughs while making some valid points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I'm a big fan of Hicks and his work, his work on satirising US foreign policy was funny and true.
    "I'm so sick of arming the world, then sending troops over to destroy the fucking arms, you know what I mean? We keep arming these little countries, then we go and blow the shit out of them. We're like the bullies of the world, y'know. We're like Jack Palance in the movie Shane, throwing the pistol at the sheepherder's feet.

"Pick it up."

"I don't wanna pick it up, Mister, you'll shoot me."

"Pick up the gun."

"Mister, I don't want no trouble. I just came downtown here to get some hard rock candy for my kids, some gingham for my wife. I don't even know what gingham is, but she goes through about ten rolls a week of that stuff. I ain't looking for no trouble, Mister."

"Pick up the gun."

(He picks it up. Three shots ring out.)

"You all saw him - he had a gun."

Sure it wasn't as well researched as Chomsky's analysis...

"Putting second order complexities to the side, for the USSR the Cold War has been primarily a war against its satellites, and for the U.S. a war against the Third World. For each, it has served to entrench a particular system of domestic privilege and coercion. The policies pursued within the Cold War framework have been unattractive to the general population, which accepts them only under duress. Throughout history, the standard device to mobilize a reluctant population has been the fear of an evil enemy, dedicated to its destruction. The superpower conflict served the purpose admirably, both for internal needs, as we see in the fevered rhetoric of top planning documents such as NSC 68, and in public propaganda. The Cold War had a functional utility for the superpowers, one reason why it persisted."

...but it sure was funnier.

Is there anybody doing this kind of comedy now?

I came across Robert Newmans History of Oil show a few years ago, and love that style of humour. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

Hi, to all ill informed people here, Carlin did not rip Hicks off, He ripped Lenny Bruce off. He picked up after Lenny died for the right of a comedian to speak the truth as they seen it. Any satirical comic that doesn't pay homage to Lenny is seriously lacking.

As for Hicks, he was a great comedian/social commentator. He died too soon & has yet to be replaced. No one comes close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

edanto wrote: »
    Is there anybody doing this kind of comedy now?

you should look up steve hughes, ive called him the living bill hicks a few times, and a friend of mine pointed out that with steve you are laughing from start to finish aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm a fan of Bill Hicks (probably moreso 10-15 years ago when it was still fresh). I have all his CDs, DVDs, bootlegs, published radio interviews, Letterman TV spots, and lot of other bits and pieces.

I've heard his material so many times now that its lost some of its sheen. Some of it will be always be funny, but I find myself skipping more and more tracks that I don't find very funny any more.

Having said that, its been about a year since my last listen, so I must throw some of the albums on my ipod for old times sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

you should look up steve hughes, ive called him the living bill hicks a few times, and a friend of mine pointed out that with steve you are laughing from start to finish aswell!

His bit about gay men being as hard as nails v's straight men being puffs is very funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thanks for the tip on Steve Hughes, enjoyed watching a couple of his clips.

Some parts are a bit similar in theme alright - the positive drug stories and the pointed satire about the US.

He's playing two gigs in Ireland in a few weeks - one in Cork and one in the Roisin Dubh.

Anyone got good links to his vids, the youtube ones seem a bit crap quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Thanks for the tip on Steve Hughes, enjoyed watching a couple of his clips.

Some parts are a bit similar in theme alright - the positive drug stories and the pointed satire about the US.

He's playing two gigs in Ireland in a few weeks - one in Cork and one in the Roisin Dubh.

they are tricky enough to find good ones alright but there are some in there somewhere! definatkley go see him! he is amazing live! ive seen him three times and he has me crying every time! such a cool guy aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

http://www.theworldstandsup.com/Comics-A-Z/Hughes.aspx

He has a few videos here

http://www.myspace.com/stevehughescomedy

Advertisement