Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Essays

Options
  • 31-12-2008 6:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I'm doin history this year and was just wondering what ways you all use to learn essays?, cos im having trouble with it atm!

My teacher keeps telling us to learn the information itself, and not the specific essay, so then we can manipulate it to suit any essay, in an ideal world yes, but thats just impossible like!

I get through all my tests by using mnenomics (Richard of York Gave Battle in Vain...etc.) to memorise the titles of paragraphs. But i dont think this will work in the leaving, as i will never remember like 30-35 mnenomics off by heart, and what they all stand for

My teacher is quick to discourage my methods but its the only way i can work it!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

That's a pretty funky way to remember stuff. I just learn off stuff and try keep it in my head. Writing your own notes may help. I do this for other subjects, seems to work ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

With every essay we do our teacher makes up do a flashcard with the key words from each paragraph written on it. It really helps me remember the info

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Learn the key points and then you are prepared for a few diffrent questions to come up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I plan practically every essay regarding a specific topic in the past paper booklets. I always find that paragraphs overlap, the same basic info is needed for almost all essays, say on Parnell. I just learn those paragraphs and its not too hard to manipulate the information in say a test situation. Worked for me so far! ;-)

Advertisement