Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you change your subjects given the chance?

Options
  • 31-12-2008 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭

Ok it's 6.08am and I can't sleep!

Anyways, if you could go back in time back to 5th year, would you change your subject choices? I know I would! History for business I'd do.

What would you change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Been a while since I done the leaving cert but hell yes I would have changed.

It really wasnt clear to us that the subjects you choose to do in 5th year would be your leaving cert subjects, even as stupid as it sounds.

I would have done Art, Home Ec, and Business, 3 A's, no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I wish i had chosed geography instead of chemistry!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Long time ago, but in hindsight I'd have swapped physics for something less mathematical.

On the flipside, I dropped out of Honours Maths the Easter before the Leaving and got an A1 in Ordinary. I always wondered if I'd have passed (or got at least a C) if I'd stuck it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd probably change from German to Home Ec. I like German and all but I think I'd be able to get a higher grade in Home Ec.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Holsten wrote: »

You messing?

Home Ec and Art are supposed to be REALLY hard.

I did business though and ya....prob was easiest subject we did.

What subjects would you have dropped?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I would change from hist to business and from music to physics.
    Its a pity they dont tell you how bleedin' well subjective history becomes.If I had known that I would have chosen a more fact-based subject.Same with music.I can only ever get in the mid-70s for hist and mus!.ARGHHHHH:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah... Art is not a subject I'd see as an easy A. If I could go back I'd have done Tech Graph, but I would have done that in the first place had my school offered it. I still wish I could have done Spanish instead of French but my school also did not offer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Probably would have done Home Ec. instead of Physics.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

done geography instead of economics... geog supposed to be piss easy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

yes yes yes!
    oh sweet lord jesus
    YES!

chemistrty and history would be fecked out!
    music and geography would be in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I'm really lucky. I didn't choose Biology but that's what I got (Geo class was full) and it's now what I want to do in college. Also, I agonised between Music and Geo for quite a while but when I see my friends stressing out over 4-page Geo long answer questions I'm glad I went for Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I probably wouldn't change any of my courses but i wish now i had studied business outside of school as an 8th subject. Already doing pass irish so i know what 6 subjects will be counting for my points but im finding french pretty tough and starting to panic a bit as i need nearly 500 for my 1st choice course, so i wish now i had 7 honours subjects to give me some options and business seems 1 of the easiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

yes yes yes!
    oh sweet lord jesus
    YES!

chemistrty and history would be fecked out!
    music and geography would be in!

Well glad didn't do history... Supposed to be REALLY boring and REALLY time consuming... My mate does it and he has big huge essays like every 2 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I wanted to do Physics, French, Geography and Chemistry for my Leaving Cert.
    However Chemistry and Geography clashed so I had to pick just one; I chose Geography.
    Biology then became my 4th subject.

And in hindsight I'm delighted, because if I had picked Chemistry then I would have been made do LCVP. But having picked Geography I had no subject matches and therefore got a free study period whiule everyone else was doing their boring reports and preparing for interviews. :cool:

In hindsight it would have been beneficial for me to do Chem or App Maths as an extra subject, but at the time I was pretty fed up of school and didn't want an extra subject.

If we're going back to 1st Year I would have loved to have done Spanish instead of French, but our school only did French and German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gregbelvo

Would definitely not have chosen History,dont let any teacher tell you the new course is brilliant,its still too long,simply too much to cover well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I'd get rid of art and take up music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

Would have taken up business, I need it for college next year and I have no background on it bar JC Bus :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I would have liked to have done Music instead of Business. Business is so boring and long yet it is easy. Music seems more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

I'm still soo mad at myself for keeping on Accounting!
    Really wish I'd kept on music instead, so I wouldn't have 2 do it outside school...

I feel so stupid for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

I would dump bio in a flash!hate it so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I would drop French as apparently I don't need it anymore.

Such a waste. I probably would have done Business, Geography or Biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Holsten wrote: »
    Been a while since I done the leaving cert but hell yes I would have changed.

It really wasnt clear to us that the subjects you choose to do in 5th year would be your leaving cert subjects, even as stupid as it sounds.

Art has one of the (if not the lowest) year on year A ratio and deffinetly has the lowest A1 ratio most years.

Art is easy to pass but hard to get an A , kind of like English.

Would of swapped Biology for Business tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I originally wanted to do Accounting but the school wouldn't run it as it was only me and another guy that wanted to do it, so I ended up doing Biology instead.

If I could go back (and have the school jump at my every command), I would swap business for accounting and keep biology! I much prefer biology to business, and I was really good at accounting in JC (which is probably quite different to LC, but anyway) and I liked it.
    Or I would drop French and have business, biology and accounting.

I'd drop geography, I absolutely hate it. And perhaps take up... Classics, or something interesting like that, instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

I wish I could drop Home Ec. for something else. Have to do it because I don't do Irish (I know, what right do I have to complain? lol), but I'd rather do History instead. As it is, my three choices were Geography, Technology and Physics and I wouldn't want to change them at all. =P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

At the start of 5th year I chose Chemistry, Physics and History as my subjects, but the school couldn't run a physics class (Only 2 people wanted to do it) and history was put on at the same time as Chemistry, so I couldn't do that either.
    I ended up doing Biology, as I needed a second science subject for medicine, and Geography (As I had the choice between that and Economics or something. And I realllly don't like business related subjects!)

In the end, I got A1s in Bio and Geography!
    Still though, I'd have loved to do Physics and History...
    I was going to pick up Physics this year instead of Gepography, but thought it'd be a bit too much work for one year.. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

For me, I'd drop French because I don't need it anymore (I'm useless at languages anyway :o). I don't think I'd replace it, because I'm doing enough subjects as it is. If I had to though I'd probably pick Physics or Mengineering.
    Well as long as I have my music, I'll be happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Id do history instead of Chemistry!!
    And German for Geography cause dont german anymore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

given the choice again id choose to do business instead of ag-science!! or geography!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I couldn't do Economics and would defintely do it. I would have might have done History aswell. Geography isn't that easy but it is extremely annoying

Advertisement