Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulse dialing with NTL (UPC)

Options
  • 31-12-2008 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

(I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please move it if needs be)

I'm curious if NTL support pulse dialing on their network, as I have an old rotary dial phone in the house that I'd like to keep in use (nostalgic reasons!) I already have have the cable 20MB broadband with them, and I want to go to them from Eircom as their line rental is far cheaper. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Many VoIP adaptors still support pulse-dialling for exactly that reason, there's still a demand for it as people want to hang on to retro / classic phones.

I suspect it's likely that UPC's VoIP box supports it. However, if it doesn't you can get a pulse to tone converter online :

For example:

http://02b619e.netsolstores.com/voippulsetotoneconverter1.aspx

You'll need to convert your old dial phone to RJ11 phone plug format ... Simplest way of doing it is to buy a simple phone socket like this one :

8765075.jpg

Just wire your old phone cable to this, and then plug a modern phone line from the back of the UPC cable phone box to the end of your phone wire.

Irish phones used very standard pulse dialling, same as US, UK, France, Germany etc.
    Just beware that there are a couple of countries that use weird pulsing : NZ, Australia, Sweden and a few others, so avoid any adaptors specified for those.

Advertisement