Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viking Direct - Trusworthy? Registration issue?

Options
  • 31-12-2008 8:56am

Hey all,

I know this is conumer issues (which i associate with complaints) so im probably posting this in the wrong section. If so, mods can feel free to move, and sorry in advance.

Anyway,

i just found this site (vikingdirect.ie) about twenty minutes ago (via a boards' thread).

Long story short:

They have stuff i want, but because i've never heard of them i am unsure of whether i should bother with them or not.

so my first question is:

1. Has anyone here used them, and are they worth using?

My other question is, upon registration with them, i can't seem to register as a normal joe soap. The only options they give me are; am i a "home business", a "limited business" or "other".

I selected "Other" but the option for "business name" is still there. So my second question is:

2. How do you cheat the registration form, so you can just get items delivered to your home address without any messing around.

Oh, and i have a third question actually, is there any way to use Paypal with them? or must you register a credit card (just a little weary about giving out the card details, as it isn't my card)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

You can trust them alright - they are part of the largest office supplies firm in the world!

Just out your name in as the business name - its not cheating, its just their system. They don't accept paypal.

Thanks darc. I appreciate that.

First order with them, hopefully all goes well.

I ordered two of these:

http://www.vikingdirect.ie/catalog/catalogSku.do?id=QD1-978405

and one of these:

http://www.vikingdirect.ie/catalog/catalogSku.do?id=QD1-PVCC120150

Price for the chair seemed pretty good. The one im on at the moment was supposed to be dumped yesterday for a new one from Argos, but in the 10 minutes it took me to leave my house and go to the Argos store, someone bought the one i wanted :(

Although, Viking's one is much better looking.

Not a fan of the surprise VAT costs.

Thanks again darc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Viking Direct are a great business to buy from. I ordered something from them and it was delivered the very next day. Would highly reccommend

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Not a fan of the surprise VAT costs.

Its a business to business site and all B2B sites will quote ex vat and vat will be added at the very end.

The chair is perfect for home use and is amazing good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

I have used Viking Direct extensively without any major problem.

Returns are not an issue - once you follow their return procedure as explained on the site.

Great range of products including extensive range of laser printer cartridges.

More competitively priced (after VAT) than most of their Irish Competitors.

No hesitation in recommending them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yep, they're sound. Bought a cheapish office swivel chair off them 15yrs ago and it's still going strong, in fact I'm plonked on it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I find my local office supplier cheaper than Viking, who I stopped using about 4 years ago. They should be a lot cheaper when one considers their buying power, but unfortunately they're not. I also think that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. If ever I had a problem, I found myself having to repeat it to a different person every time - very time-consuming.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Buy ink from Viking Direct - excellent service, next day delivery and usually cheaper!

Well the majority of you guys seem to be in favor of them.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks a lot guys. When my order arrives, I'll reply to this with how i got on with them.

Can i ask though, has anyone bought computer/office chairs off them before? Are they classed as furniture?

Its just the email i got about my order says it'll be delivered on the 5th, but it says elsewhere on the site that if i bought furniture, then it takes 10-14 (working) days for delivery.

Anyone who bought chairs able to let me know which delivery i'll get? Not too bothered either way, but i'll just want to make sure im here for the time i'm expecting the stuff to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Well the majority of you guys seem to be in favor of them.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks a lot guys. When my order arrives, I'll reply to this with how i got on with them.

Can i ask though, has anyone bought computer/office chairs off them before? Are they classed as furniture?

Its just the email i got about my order says it'll be delivered on the 5th, but it says elsewhere on the site that if i bought furniture, then it takes 10-14 (working) days for delivery.

Anyone who bought chairs able to let me know which delivery i'll get? Not too bothered either way, but i'll just want to make sure im here for the time i'm expecting the stuff to arrive.

No, for some reason they're classed as stationery. At least that's what they told me before - I bought a chair and desk off them, they told me 3 days for delivery. When I took time off and they never showed, I rang them the next dayand they said that the 3 days was for the stationery (the chair :confused:), and that it would be another week for the desk, but that they'd hold off on the chair and deliver the lot together. Went home the next night and found the chair had been dropped over the side gate and left sitting out all day in the rain in a now soggy cardboard box. Wasn't very impressed with them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bought a chair off them a few years ago, next day delivery at the time :)

MOH wrote: »
    No, for some reason they're classed as stationery. At least that's what they told me before - I bought a chair and desk off them, they told me 3 days for delivery. When I took time off and they never showed, I rang them the next dayand they said that the 3 days was for the stationery (the chair :confused:), and that it would be another week for the desk, but that they'd hold off on the chair and deliver the lot together. Went home the next night and found the chair had been dropped over the side gate and left sitting out all day in the rain in a now soggy cardboard box. Wasn't very impressed with them at all.

That doesn't sound very impressive at all. Was it VikingDirect themselves or An Post/DHL/etc. that delivered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

That doesn't sound very impressive at all. Was it VikingDirect themselves or An Post/DHL/etc. that delivered it?

I'm pretty sure it was themselves.

Well i started off my order-related activities today by checking their website out of boredom.

Yep, today is the day they deliver the chairs, and they're already €10 less than when i bought them. Bastards.

Coulda saved myself €20 if i waited a little longer.

Anyway, at about 12:30 a truck pulled up. "Nightline" or something to that effect. Got the mat and both chairs. Assembled the chairs and put the mat down. Everything seems OK.

Mat is made for hard floors (apparently) but still has a "spiked" side to it. Can anyone tell me, will this do more damage than just having the chairs on the floor itself? I can't help but feel i wasted €60 by buying it (its a laminate floor though, so i dont want ot go too rough on it, just weary i may be quicker to damage it using the mat, although i've been using it for an hour or so now and nothing bad seems to be happening).

everything seems to be fine. Chairs are a little higher than the last one i used, so its a little awkward, but I'll get used to it.

MOH, Still sorry to hear about your crappy experience with them, but surely they'd be worth giving a second chance to? This is my first order off them, and it all seems to have gone down OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have worked for 3 law firms and we always use Viking so have no fears...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭euph

No complaints except the endless stream of sale catalogues you'll start to receive!

Advertisement