Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIE/Dublin Bus/ESB/Bord Gais - what are the alternatives?

Options
  • 31-12-2008 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

With CIE/Bublin Bus/LUAS set to increase their fares and ESB/Bord Gais keeping prices level going into next year, at a time when almost every other business in the country is reducing prices to stay alive, do we have any alternatives to these semi-state monopolies?

It seems that since there are no alternatives they can just increase their prices (or in the case of ESB/Bord Gais, not reduce their prices in response to falling fuel prices) without any real reason. It's crazy that the government can allow this to happen (but probably not surprising), when they should be pushing them to find cost savings (and act like a real company) instead.

Is there anything we can do about this? I can't see any alternatives to either at the moment. It really is frustrating :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I suppose the only thing the man on the street can do is not vote for TD's of parties currently in government as they appoint members to the boards of these companies and these people make the final decisions as to rise prises or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Bus Eireann prices have gone up over 10%,

monthly city bus ticket now €62 up €5

I think it is now cheaper to use a car, instead of the bus but they will probably now introduce a conjestion charge !!!

Advertisement