Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops: New Years Day

Options
  • 31-12-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, does anyone know if the shops in Dublin city will be open tomorrow - new years day?

Had a quick look at the Arnotts website and could not find anything.

Thanks,

Tony.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Some are open others are (quite rightly) closed.

Why somebody would want to go shopping on new years day is beyond me. Retail staff deserve the day off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Every other day of the year not good enough for you? I hate this 24/7 attitude we've become so accustomed to, having worked in retail, HMV to be precise and our boss at the time opened the store at 8 AM on new years day one year, much to the disgust and protest of all the staff, we didnt serve a single customer until at least 1pm, same on Stephens Day, god that guy was a cock

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hannahmum

Wow, calm down. OP only asked if shops were open. Perhaps its one of the only days he is free to spend some time (and money). Nobody is forced to work in retail- if they dont like the opening hours- get a job elsewhere! You dont work for free- we all have days we would rather spend NOT working- but such is life.
    I spent many years working evenings, nights and weekends, in the 'service' industry (no- not a pro!), nobody felt sorry for me dealing with drunks at 5am. You chose your job, get paid for it, and put up with the hours. Business is increasingly tight for all those in retail (and everywhere else) so if a shopkeeper choses to open 24/7- good for them. If the staff dont like it they can leave.

Sorry for the rant but Jeez- OP just asked a question and got the head bitten off. For the record- tomorrow is one of the only days that I am free to browse the sales- so I will be delighted to find some shops open. Maybe make a New Years Resolution to relax a bit, and not be so quick to judge, hmmmm??!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

pithater1 wrote: »
    Some are open others are (quite rightly) closed.

Why somebody would want to go shopping on new years day is beyond me. Retail staff deserve the day off too.

If I had only one day off a year, I'd like to go to the shop.

It's not as if people in retail are the only people that work in this country you know. And they certainly don't work every other day of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agibbons

Guys, as it happened ther only day I had off over the christmas period was New Years Day.

Relax, I only asked a simple question. Anyway, the only big store opened was BT's. They had some great bargains with an extra 10% off for new years day only.

Happy new year,

Tony.

• Advertisement
Advertisement