Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009! resolutions and ambitions... got any?

Options
  • 31-12-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭

Happy new year to all the residents, lurkers, cranks and gents. i hope we all have a great one.

so... the scales have confirmed that my mirrors are not faulty; i am indeed much fatter than i was a couple of months ago. 4 weeks without turning a crank and eating mince pies, chocolate and pudding (sometimes for breakfast) have taken their toll. i did an hour on the turbo yesterday and have come to the conclusion that one of my lungs seems to have stopped working too - that's the best explanation i can come up with for my total lack of fitness anyway.

so, in the spirit of the day, i'm saying NO MORE!! stop the rot! so here they are; my cycling resolutions:

1) lose a stone.
    2) get fitter than i have ever been before.
    3) not fall off (the bike or the regime).
    4) complete as many sportives as i can get to, including (but not limited to) the ROK, SK challenge, the Leinster challenge, the W200 and (gulp) the Marmotte.
    5) be safe.
    6) enjoy it.

so folks what are your hopes for the new year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

They say don't start these things till February, January is apparently a depressing time of year and you're more likely to fall off the wagon.

I for one would quite like to lose a stone also and get rip roaring fit so I can look after the old ticker. I would also like to get on the bike far more often which thankfully makes the other two ambitions achievable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I wish to find the limits of my bike.. so i can have a good excuse to buy a carbon road bike.. I also wish that i can soon be fit enough to follow you on your Saturday Spins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Well ...

- My 1st resolution is to get that wrist working again ...
    - Spend the 1st 3 weeks of the year on the treadmill to get the lungs working again while i am still in the cast
    - Not break anything else
    - Beat niceonetom up a hill
    - Beat Tiny on a sprint
    - Finish 5th in a race
    - Do lots of sportives
    - Cycle up the Pyrenees AND the alpes ( the Marmotte being the tough one this year)
    - Lose 1 stone ... ( 5 lbs being what I have gainned this winter with the injuries and the exess of food )
    - Not be late in work ...
    - Pass my exams ...
    - Avoid Wiggle and CRC temptations ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Ah, you have to love new years lists :)

I want to:
    1. Get down to 80kg (about 14 to go after the xmas indulgence)
    2. Be as crash free as possible (no broken bones or head injuries)
    3. Keep my spending on bike stuff to an acceptable, sane level (like that's going to happen)
    4. Challenge myself -Marmotte, London-Edinburgh-London, Race Around Ireland and Tour of Ireland should see to that, and the W200, and other sportives should help too
    5. I can't think of a 5th

@niceonetom, there's a couple of flaws in your otherwise flawless list:
    1. The marmotte is same weekend as ROK
    2. You can't push yourself and get fitter than ever and still enjoy it -that's just cycling for ya :)

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I wish to find the limits of my bike.. so i can have a good excuse to buy a carbon road bike.. I also wish that i can soon be fit enough to follow you on your Saturday Spins :D

Only excuse to buy a road bike is having a big enough wallet! :)

• Advertisement

- Beat Tiny on a sprint

I'm sure you can manage that -if I beat Blorg up the Glandon (and I have the mug to prove it) anything's possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Only excuse to buy a road bike is having a big enough wallet! :)

I don't :( Thats why i need excuses :D Since i bought the bike i 've given LOTS of money to gear and stuff.. paying my credit card last month killed me :D (And you guys are a bad influence!)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Modest ambitions for 2009...

60km in 2 hours, 80km in 3 hours.
    70kg.
    Beating someone (anyone) up a big hill.
    No more back injuries, crashes, or examinations by endoscope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

@niceonetom, there's a couple of flaws in your otherwise flawless list:
    1. The marmotte is same weekend as ROK
    2. You can't push yourself and get fitter than ever and still enjoy it -that's just cycling for ya :)

1. well, that will be challenging, won't it.
    2. yes you can. it's what i did in 2008.

niceonetom wrote: »
    1. well, that will be challenging, won't it.
    2. yes you can. it's what i did in 2008.

1. Chapeau if you can manage it though :D
    2. Well, fair enough, but I still maintain if it's fun at the time, you're not pushing enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

my first century in a reasonable time.

that will do nicely for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I like the idea of the 1 - 100k per month.
    I also want to knock a significant bit of time off the ROK and Sk tours.

Suffering a bit from lack of enthusiasm for the bike at the moment ( I just cant face it for some reason ) - need to get that sorted first. ( A purchase might fix that though :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Saw this on the humour forum ... but my new year resolution is

1600 x 1200 :)

and I can't go any further on this monitor:D

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Ashamed to admit it, but I am a smoker :o, so my primary goal and one that I'll give every fibre of my being to achieving is quitting that digusting pointless addiction.

On a cycling note, train hard, eat well and complete my first [hopefully first of many!] 200km sportive :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Race a full season. Try to win something.

Do some sportives again. Maybe do the Marmotte if I can get the time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Well, having gotten into this cycling thing in 2008, it seems only right to set a few goals for 2009.

I'm hoping to get down to around 170lbs by the W200. Very do-able as I managed to get down from 214.5lbs (May) to 188lbs this year. The cycling was instrumental, but diet played a big part.

Events I am hoping to do for the first time are the W200, ROK, and SK. I will probably do the Tour of Kildare again, in order to beat last years time and measure my progress.

So, this means committing myself to regular training. Hoping to get three spins a month in, on the assumption that most of the time they will be over 100k. By the end of April I hope to be doing 200k for the first time.

If I can do all that I'll be more than happy.

Happy New Year everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

1. Do the club league races
    2. Do the national hill championship
    3. Do a cyclo-sportive on the continent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Give up the smokes and get the cash together for a lovely new road bike.

Raam wrote: »

I knew you were a bloody masochist!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »

Our club league has a hill climb TT. I´ll do it alright, but it will only be for the taking part that counts bit. Where are the nationals next year do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lose a few stone (i really need to ) get a new road bike might be a bit difficult after been put on a 3 day week.
    spend less time in fornt of a computer and more on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    Our club league has a hill climb TT. I´ll do it alright, but it will only be for the taking part that counts bit. Where are the nationals next year do you know?

Yeah, I've seen a few on the race league calendar. I don't know where the national race is this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Loose 10 pounds
    Complete W200, RoK, SK
    Half Ironman in Kenmare,
    Possibly Dub Marathon
    Complete Alpine Course on my I-magic cause with a nipper on the way in April I know it'll be years before I actually get to really climb L'Alpe Duez...:o

Just a few small ones...

* Cycle from Dublin to somewhere else (Galway or Cork is what I have in mind)
    * Stop being a wuss with the cold and get out a lot more during winter/spring
    * Keep my job so I can keep buying stuff from CRC/wiggle
    * Oh yeah, remember to pick up my boards gear from rogerb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

1. Finish off my damn build.
    2. Do W200 (maybe), ROK, SK160 and Tour of Kildare
    3. Try to get out more regularly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

niceonetom wrote: »
    Happy new year to all the residents, lurkers, cranks and gents...
    ...and taxi drivers.:o

Firstly thanks to all for a very informative and entertaining forum and best of luck in the New Year.
    Secondly, my meagre goals:
    1 Get my knee fixed and get back cycling.
    2 Get my Klein MTB finished.
    3 Join the Boardsies for at least one spin.
    4 Hopefully have some involvment in the Race Around Ireland.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

1. Do Wicklow 200 and associated training including century challenge
    2. Become a MTB guru and ascend 3 rock offroad with no foot faults and breaks and not fall off in Djouce.
    3. Beat everyone in a big climb on the road bike.
    4. Oh yeah, qualify and get job, live life etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

1. Tour of Ireland (May Ediion)
    2. Build a bicycle from scratch
    3. Wickow 200 in 8 hours
    4. French Climbs for a bit of fun
    5. Oh yes .. run the Dublin marathon and do a triathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Loads. W200 and as many long sportives as possible including some in the UK, partic the Exmoor beast...maybe just maybe an alpine trip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Raam, the Hill Climbs are in the North again this year I think. They are really not that bad. Usually 6 or 7 minutes of hell. But at least they are over quick. One of our lads can climb like nobodies business, turns the screw on most A riders (He's an A himself, but got beat by nearly a minute in the 07 hill climbs by David McCann. In other words its usually a small but class field - maybe 30 riders - plus a few from the host club).

You'll enjoy it though. You pervert.

My own resolutions, made up right now on the spot...

1. Start training again properly.
    2. Get weight to 140lbs (gone up from there to 150 since the summer).
    3. Win a race. Properly. Won one or two crappy eague races in 07 and 08, but they were just lucky breaks and to my mind, cheap.
    4. Get some use from the new TT bike when its built. Enter at least one TT / Triathlon.
    5. Survive an A race (just hang with the main bunch all the way).
    6. Don't buy any more bikes.
    7. Or wheels.
    8. Or nice carbon parts.
    9. Somebody take the credit card out of my hand please and block my access to CRC.

Advertisement