Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is mySQL GUI

Options
  • 31-12-2008 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    In a previous life I've used MS Access with SQL Server and so have become quite used to it.

Now I have a series of MySQL databases. Im Told MS Access doesn't like MySQL but that I would like the same ability to graphically create queries, Forms reports etc...Not to mention Macros etc

I've tried using Open Office (Base) application but found this to be a bit shakey...

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Not that familiar with mysql myself but would mysql workbench be what you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

MySQL Control Center is the only one I'm familiar with but I amn't sure if it is as user friendly as you'd like. http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlcc/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rashersangitch

These seem to be very much back end DBA tools...Which is fine..
    I'm looking for a way I can, for instance, create a front end which will allow for easy data-entry capabilities...
    ...When I worked with MS Access and SQL server I was constantly moaning about it. now that its gone I miss it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

MS Access, as far as I know, will work with MySQL.

If you haven't actually tried, it might be worth a shot.

Edit: might try rifling through a few of these also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oh dear. You see, MS Access was designed as an all-in-one solution.

MySQL/PHP/Apache are independent products and while there is a large amount of inter-operability, there probably isn't anything free comparable to MS Acces. You will probably have to learn PHP.

Anyway, I would imagine you can put an MS Access front-end onto a MySQL database, though as a DBA, I would cringe at the thought of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

I've used this for many years - http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/try.php

Really the only way to go when using mySQL, especially when coupled with SQL workbench as mentioned earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

I think these are what you are looking for:
    http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

You can Link mySQL tables into an MS Access Database and then use Access queries/forms/reports against them.

If you create a mySQL ODBC DataSource and then link as external data

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Download MySQL Query Browser from duffman85's link.

It is a very easy to use solution for connecting to MySQL databases and writing queries or doing GUI insertions to databases. Used it a bit in final year of college to test queries.

Advertisement