Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

backpacking in asia

• 31-12-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

hey, so i was thinking of going to maybe vietnam or india for 3-4 weeks this summer. just wondering if anyone has done it and what are their experiences and their do's and dont's and stuff.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Have you been to Asia before? I think India would be quite tough if you haven't although it would still be worth visiting. It's a huge country though so which region to visit would depend on what type of things you want to see/do.

Vietnam is a cool place but I preferred other countries in SE Asia. Lots of people rave about it though. Some nice places are: Sapa, Halong Bay and Cat Ba Island, Hoi An, Mui Ne. Can't remember any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 quebec

I was leaning towards vietnam. Ive been to china, singapore and malaysia before, but they were with large groups of people.

In what way is vietnam set up for backpackers in comparison to going interrailing, ie do you stay in hostels etc. and is the language barrier a big problem

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've been to India a good few times, what questions do you have? I've been there mostly for work so haven't explored a lot of the touristy places.
    From the places I have been it's not incredibly well set up for backpackers. Only found dorm rooms in Calcutta, which are handy for getting to know people. You won't get the fun filled hostels with orange walls you'd find in South America, but it's so cheap you could get a hotel anyway. Are you going alone?

I haven't been to Goa or Mumbai which I expect would be more set up for tourists. Either way, it's my favourite country and I definitely recommend you go. Also, it's an ex-British colony so not much of a language barrier most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 wowwee123

Hey, can anyone tell me if you need a visa for Vietnam if you are going for only 1 week??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Projectvisa.org will tell you everything! I would check but it's very late...

• Advertisement
Advertisement