Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama calls on Dems to reject Blagojevich nomination to Senate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    What in the world is going on with Democratic Governors (and other Democrats like Charlie Rangle, Al Franken and his ACORN connection, and even Rahm Emanuel)? Governor “Let’s make a deal” Rod Blagojevich (D) remains in office as his pick for U.S. Senate, Roland Burris (D), heads to Washington today. And now New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson (D) announces that he is withdrawing his nomination to be President-elect Barack Obama's commerce secretary amid a grand jury investigation into how some of his political donors won a lucrative state contract. And recently we’ve seen contempt and scandal from the Governor of New Jersey, Jim McGreevey (D), and NY Governor Client-9 (D). Even James Carville (Bill Clinton’s former campaign manager) is predicting the Democratic Party will suffer a series of embarrassing scandals in 2009… NO WAY! Are there any honest Democrats left? Should we change the term Democrat to Corruptacrat? And who are the odds-makers saying is the next Democrat-In-Disgrace. My guess is Pennsylvania Governor Fast Eddy, as BONUSGATE probably goes all the way to the top.

Well Obama himself said that Democrats always find a way to mess up. With all this scandal from Chicago and now Richardson I don't know whether I should feel sorry for him or think he's a bigger idiot than they made Pres Bush out to be for not knowing any of these people were idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Right as in Legal? Yes. Scandal aside Burris does meet the requirements needed to be a Senator. Besides he's only going to finish Obama's Senate [which is about 3-4 years left IIRC] After that he has to run for election for his own term.

I wasn’t realy aiming at a legal point, I defer to your knowledge there. I was just reading Post 1 and of all the candidates they could have picked, nobody is bothered the potential next senator is 71.

Not an issue for most people it seems but something I’d think about if they were representing me though I realise there has has been older officals then that in all branches of government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

I would wait to feel sorry for Obama until after the press decides to do their job and some reporting on a whole bunch of shady things including Vera Baker and Cape Caribbean, LLC. But sure as hell won’t happen until after he takes the oath of office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

mikemac wrote: »
    I wasn’t realy aiming at a legal point, I defer to your knowledge there. I was just reading Post 1 and of all the candidates they could have picked, nobody is bothered the potential next senator is 71.

Not an issue for most people it seems but something I’d think about if they were representing me though I realise there has has been older officals then that in all branches of government.

No prob. Just wanted to make sure.
    Pocono Joe wrote:
    I would wait to feel sorry for Obama until after the press decides to do their job and some reporting on a whole bunch of shady things including Vera Baker and Cape Caribbean, LLC. But sure as hell won’t happen until after he takes the oath of office.

The press that were cheerleading for him aren't even covering the Blago scandal [and if they do they go out their way not to print his party affiliation] they won't mention any of this Richardson stuff or anything else that could negatively effect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Lovin' the sig, Mad Hatter :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

And now New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson (D) announces that he is withdrawing his nomination to be President-elect Barack Obama's commerce secretary amid a grand jury investigation into how some of his political donors won a lucrative state contract
    It would appear that Richardson is not much different than the current Republican leadership over the past 8 years? What's the old kid game called? Follow the leader? Connect the dots: Republican Vice President Cheney was the former CEO of Halliburton. Halliburton donates to the Bush-Cheney campaign. The US attacks Iraq, resulting in a lot of destruction. Halliburton gets a multi-billion dollar contract to rebuild Iraq (And does not have to worry about the typical competitive bid process for US government contracts! Never heard of government contracts being handed out without first going to competitive bid. I wonder why Halliburton didn't have to compete...duh!).

Republican US Senator John McCain receives campaign contribution monies over the years from convicted criminals G. Gordon Liddy (of the Republican Watergate criminal break-in scandal) and Charles Keating. And in the last case, McCain flies 9 times at Keating's expense to Keating's posh Cat Cay Bahamas island resort to frolic in the sun with the rich and famous (while McCain represents Keating before bank regulators that question the stability and potential fraud of Lincoln Savings & Loan, which became the largest financial institution failure in US history... up until 2008... costing taxpayers billions...). Follow the leader?

Need I mention Republican US Senator Ted Stevens, the longest-serving Republican senator in US history? We could play a card game of sorts. I'll bid you one corrupt Republican Alaskan US Senator, one convicted criminal Republican Vice President Spiro Agnew, and one Impeachable Republican President Nixon against your currently under investigation Democrat Governor of Illinois and Democrat Governor of New Mexico. Do you see me? Do you want another card dealt from the bottom of the deck?
    Are there any honest Democrats left? Should we change the term Democrat to Corruptacrat?
    The same could be said about Republicans? Are there any honest Republicans left? I know! Maybe the corrupt Democrats and corrupt Republicans should form a new party and call it what you have suggested... Corruptacrat... dropping the "c" at the end, leaving "rat." With so many qualifiers from both parties, what was left would be so small that the current two-party system would wither away and the US would then have a one-party state just like the former CCCP or the current PRC.

Connect the dots: Republican Vice President Cheney was the former CEO of Halliburton. Halliburton donates to the Bush-Cheney campaign. The US attacks Iraq, resulting in a lot of destruction. Halliburton gets a multi-billion dollar contract to rebuild Iraq (And does not have to worry about the typical competitive bid process for US government contracts! Never heard of government contracts being handed out without first going to competitive bid. I wonder why Halliburton didn't have to compete...duh!).

LOL... quite entertaining! I’d love to see your version of the JFK “magic bullet” theory... I bet it would involve aliens, and of course George Bush and Dick Cheney.

And just one little question about Halliburton… Is there any other company in the world that does what they do in regard to our (USA) needs in the middle east? And remember Bill Clinton used Halliburton quite extensively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

And just one little question about Halliburton… Is there any other company in the world that does what they do in regard to our (USA) needs in the middle east? And remember Bill Clinton used Halliburton quite extensively.

I know it's hard to believe that there is another corporation on this planet that can do what Halliburton can do, especially if you believe as a matter of Republican faith that the GW Bush administration, through their beloved VP Dick Cheney (former CEO of Halliburton), was acting in the best interests of the American people. There are several US international corporations, including the Parsons Corporation, a direct competitor of Halliburton:

"Parsons is a leader in many diverse markets such as infrastructure, transportation, water, telecommunications, aviation, commercial, environmental, industrial manufacturing, education, healthcare, life sciences and homeland security. Parsons provides technical and management solutions to federal, regional and local government agencies as well as private industries worldwide." Source: http://www.parsons.com/

Bechtel Corporation is another (which, by the way, Daddy Bush worked for once upon a time). Source: http://www.bechtel.com/

Fluor Corporation yet another. Source: http://www.fluor.com/Pages/Default.aspx

Furthermore, in terms of the Fortune 500 ranking of US Corporations by 2008 revenue, Fluor was ranked #148 ($16.6 billion), while Halliburton was ranked lower at #167 ($15.2 billion). Source: http://www.fortunesmallbusiness.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2008/full_list/101_200.html

And the federal audit of Halliburton's contract work in Iraq exhibits the quality one would expect from the GW Bush Administration?

Updated 2/15/2007 12:27 PM

"WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. government is at risk of squandering significantly more money in an Iraq war and reconstruction effort that has already wasted or otherwise overcharged taxpayers billions of dollars, federal investigators said Thursday.

The three top auditors overseeing contract work in Iraq told a House committee of $10 billion in spending that was wasteful or poorly tracked. They pointed to numerous instances in which Defense and State department officials condoned or otherwise allowed poor accounting, repeated work delays, bloated expenses and payments for work shoddily or never done by U.S. contractors.

Of the $10 billion in overpriced contracts or undocumented costs, more than $2.7 billion were charged by Halliburton Co., the oil-field services firm once headed by Vice President Dick Cheney."

And last but not least, the following was so typical of your posts in the political forum, going completely off-topic and attacking the person rather than addressing the issue. Where have I addressed this "magic bullet theory" you mention in this thread, or the introduction of "aliens" as a part of my argument that corruption was rife in both the Republican and Democratic parties, and that what the Illinois Governor Blagojevich was accused of doing was business as usual in American politics?
    LOL... quite entertaining! I’d love to see your version of the JFK “magic bullet” theory... I bet it would involve aliens, and of course George Bush and Dick Cheney.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Oh Joe! Settle in there now and get nice 'n comfy for about... the next 8 years! :D

Blue Lagoon, quite an impressive bit of work there, kudos to you! I know there are other companies that do similar work to Halliburton, but won’t do them in “Hot Spots” as Halliburton does (that was the case in 2004 or 2005 when I researched it). But I might be wrong today, the ones you listed might now be willing to do work in areas where their employees have a high risk of being killed.

And weren’t you the one who went off-topic in response to my post about Democrat Governors... going into a rant about Republicans, Cheney and Halliburton. Complaints from the boards best spin doctor… you’re confusing me there girl!

Also you might be too young to remember, but the Democrats started their push back in 2006 to take back congress with “promised bipartisanship, cooperation, and a new level of honesty and integrity in Washington.” WHAT A CROCK!

And look at what Pelosi just did by pushing through a rule change to curb the GOP’s rights to affect legislation and new restrictions on motions to “recommit” a bill to the committee that approved it in order to add new amendments. It essentially shuts down open debate. Sure not the kind of openness and transparency that Obama promised. This rule change would create the most closed Congress in history. So, how are you gonna spin that to Bush/Cheney and Halliburton?

By the end of 2009 I think we will be longing for the Republican years… that is if we have any individual rights left. Better go pick up that Glock I've had my eyes on, before another Constitutional Right is taken away by the Dems.

- - - -

CtrlSource... 8 years??? I doubt it. Looking more and more like the Mayans were right... 12/21/2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

By the end of 2009 I think we will be longing for the Republican years

You keep on referring to "we" and the like. I think your trying to give impression that "we" is somehow everyone; but in truth "we" is only those who have benefited from Bush.

"We" are certainly not the Afgans and the Iraqies, who have had their country's invaded in the name of "peace".
    It definitely not the Palestinians who are still suffering from the American policy of "Israel is right full stop".
    Its not the Europeans, who are getting the tragic effects of American deregulation.
    And its not any one else, because in truth we are all going to be suffering from Global Warming as a result of American industrial selfishness and greed that is still allowed to ferment by dodging Kyoto.

Get a grip buddy.

CtrlSource... 8 years??? I doubt it. Looking more and more like the Mayans were right... 12/21/2012.

Aww don't worry, 'course it'll be 8. You just gotta have faith! :p

You keep on referring to "we" and the like. I think your trying to give impression that "we" is somehow everyone; but in truth "we" is only those who have benefited from Bush.
    Okay, “WE” is not an all-encompassing term. But many more people benefited from Bush than you may think. And I find it ironic that you then go on to group entire peoples into the rest of your post… pot calling the kettle black?

"We" are certainly not the Afgans and the Iraqies, who have had their country's invaded in the name of "peace".
    Some of the Afgan women who are given a death sentence by the Taliban just because they get an education might disagree. Some of the Iraqi Kurds, Shias, others and their families who where subjected to rape and torture rooms, gassed, or outright killed under Sadam Hussein’s regime might disagree.

It definitely not the Palestinians who are still suffering from the American policy of "Israel is right full stop".
    Arabs and Jews have been fighting for thousands of years. They have been fighting long before there was a GOP or even an America for that matter, and will be fighting longer after a Barack Obama.

Its not the Europeans, who are getting the tragic effects of American deregulation.
    Somewhat agreed (but to insinuate Europeans bear no blame in the global economic problems… HA!) by majority fault of the Democrats. It was the GOP that fought to have regulation on the lending institutions.

And its not any one else, because in truth we are all going to be suffering from Global Warming as a result of American industrial selfishness and greed that is still allowed to ferment by dodging Kyoto.
    Kyoto-Shmyoto! Bush worked to address climate change by launching the Major Economies Process, which convened the leaders of the world's major economies, both developed and developing, to work on ways to further reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve energy security without harming our economies or giving any nation a free ride. Also, Bush set the country on course to stop the growth of greenhouse gas emissions below projected levels by 2025 and invested more than $44 billion in climate change-related programs.
    (more good reading on this matter: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/12/myths_and_facts_about_the_real.html)
    How have the other countries that signed onto the Kyoto agreement been doing?

Get a grip buddy.
    Grip gotten!

Update on the original posting of this thread…

NO BURRIS!
    NO WAY!
    NO HOW!
    Never Mind!

(Gotta love the Dems)

Blue Lagoon, quite an impressive bit of work there, kudos to you!
    Bad B!ue faints. Paramedics race in with oxygen, checking all her vitals. "She must of had a huge shock," they comment as they haul her off to hospital.

Try to give someone a compliment, and see what I get...

A short little poem for you to enjoy during your hospital stay.

A political junkie
    A biased view
    Young and misguided
    Her name is B!ue

Right wing
    Left wing
    Center too
    Conservative
    Liberal
    Don’t mess with B!ue

Try to give someone a compliment, and see what I get...

A short little poem for you to enjoy during your hospital stay.
    LOL! I'm just having fun. I guess you are too? You have a creative streak methinks you should show more often.

LOL! I'm just having fun. I guess you are too? You have a creative streak methinks you should show more often.

Yup, just having a little fun at your expense… hope you didn’t take too much offense. Your post made me laugh also.

And I once wrote a poem (a take on A Christmas Carol) lampooning something ESPN had screwed up royally, and it got national press and attention. It also got 25,000 nasty vocal amateur and professional bass anglers pissed at me. I guess I just have an uncanny knack for rubbing people wrong. I think I’ll just stick to being a GOP hack from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Oi! Back on topic: Blogojevich is going to be impeached.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Yeah, back on topic. Impeached just means Blago was indicted. He is only being charged with wrongdoing. I wonder if Blago is found not guilty by a court of law, will he get to keep his job? Or is he toast in the Age of Obama?

Seating Burris is the best thing for the GOP. Burris hasn’t been able to win an election in a number of years. Come 2010, if the GOP has a candidate remotely qualified, then they pick up another US Senate. That’s why the GOP is fighting to have him seated. Looks like Blago really stuck it to Obama.

Last month we were reading about what the GOP needs to do to become successful again. Looks like the GOP will get a lot of help from the Democrats infighting. They are now pushing some things through which hurts debate, the country as a whole, and the Blue Dog Democrats who have really improved their lot in the last few elections. Sorta looks like we have a new clique in congress… LIBERALS GONE WILD.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123146274483166511.html

(side note: As some here take offense to my often utilized term “The Liberal Elite,” in good faith and as a new year’s resolution I will try to refrain from using the term “The Liberal Elite.” I think “Limousine Liberals” is a pretty good alternative… don’t you?)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Buris might resign before 2010 setting up a fresh start for that seat. Unlikely though. Glad you are enjoying this corruption PJ. I suppose you have to hold onto something.

jank wrote: »
    Glad you are enjoying this corruption PJ. I suppose you have to hold onto something.

I hate corruption, no matter what side of the isle it comes from. Also have immense disdain for the mainstream media that is so biased toward the Democrat side that they fail to do their job as journalists. Yeah, I sort of take an Ann Coulter tactic in my posts, which usually leads to an attack of messenger, rather than the message. I must admit, I like here style. But I bet you hear things from me that make you say... Dang, why haven’t I heard that before, and why did I have to hear it firsthand from this wanker.

Nancy Pelosi and the far left are doing some things, that I listed previously, which should be reported with national alarm by the media... but how much have you heard about what they are up to since they reconvened? So until the media does their job, you will continue to get the reports and sarcastic comments from me about wrongs committed by the Democrats. I don’t have to report on wrongs committed by the Republicans… you are inundated with these, no matter how trivial, from the mainstream media.

Some good readin' and watchin':
    http://www.mrc.org/notablequotables/bestof/2008/welcome.asp
    http://www.mediaresearch.org/archive/realitycheck/welcome.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

the senate seat should be honored
    the governor has not been found guilty of anything
    and it is not the president's or the congresses choice to prejudge

I wonder what IL feels about loss of representation
    or is that just word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

But I bet you hear things from me that make you say... Dang, why haven’t I heard that before

:rolleyes:

what's the post above referencing?

Matt Holck wrote: »
    what's the post above referencing?

Did you look at any of my posts in this thread and click on the links I provided?

- - - - -
    Side Note: The new international symbol for dealing with Limousine Liberals.
    bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

Honestly Joe, all you do in most threads is replace one perceived bias with yours. Most of the posts i've read from you have a skewed political / ideological agenda laced through them. i respect your honesty though and that you don't try and dress-up your bias as some might.

However, i'm suspicious of people in your country that refer to the "mainstream media" as if they're some sort of evil far-left conspiracy. In reality they represent a huge range of opinions and generally seem fairly moderate (to me). They're not called 'mainstream' for nothing, you know :)

Ann Coulter? i have NO respect for that woman or the bile that spews forth from her mouth and from her writings. She has such an unhappy demeanour too.

i saw her interviewed on that twit Huckabee's programme recently and she just seemed sad and childish. The likes of her give Conservatives a bad name

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Honestly Joe, all you do in most threads is replace one perceived bias with yours.

So why don't you disparage some of the others on the other side of the isle? And I'm getting tired of being sent to the principal's office (a recent quote from Ann Coulter). :)
    Most of the posts i've read from you have a skewed political / ideological agenda laced through them. i respect your honesty though and that you don't try and dress-up your bias as some might.

True, I am biased as is everyone here... and thanks. Let me ask you a question, do you think anyone’s opinion here is changed by something another person posts, or is it just a way to beat our own chests and debate based on our own biases?
    However, i'm suspicious of people in your country that refer to the "mainstream media" as if they're some sort of evil far-left conspiracy.

Personally, I would prefer another word than "mainstream" becasue they are not mainstream, they are primarily liberal or far left. But that is the tag given to them, so as not to confuse, I also use it... often sarcastically.
    i have NO respect for that woman or the bile that spews forth from her mouth and from her writings.

Do me a favor, read her latest blog, or any of her blogs. See if you can disprove her facts and/or statistics. The problem with her is people can’t condemn her points, so they condemn her instead. Granted she is mean, but does being mean make her (or me) wrong?
    http://www.anncoulter.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Sorry PJ but Ann Coulter is a vile person who is as dangerous as is foolish. She is a wind up merchant and also a media whore. Who is her hero again, Joseph McCarthy. I need not say anymore.

I take your points on board but you dont seem to recognise anybody that doesnt agree with you and you draw the conclusion they are a far left liberal. I have some very conservative views but im always wary of people saying that this is the truth and that is the truth without giving the other person a due process to learn themselves the truth.

There are alot of moderates out there that stick to the centre. Just because im not here arguing with leftist ideas doesnt make me a lefty.

I dont take fox news seriously but cause I think CNN and time magazine try their best make me a liberal left loon? Who should i listen to then? you? Ann?:rolleyes:

Pointing fingers all the time only alienates and never changes peoples opinion. So why not try a different approach

• Advertisement

the governor of Illinois,
    Roda Blagojevic has not yet been tried for alegations
    that he offered to sell the Illinois United State Senate Seat...
    he has been impeached to be brought to trial by the Illinois Senate

the governor of Illinois appointed Lutsio Guerrero to replace Obama in the United State Senate.

This appointment was not approved by the Lieutenant Governor of Illinois.

Advertisement