Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock Fees?

Options
  • 31-12-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

How much do the mocks usually cost/used to cost?
    Being told ours are dearer this year-113 yoyos
    What yas reckoon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

:eek:
    Ours are like 30-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Was thinkin this was ridiculous..
    ****in school is arse with money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Maybe it's 30-40 to get them corrected and the rest is a... "tip" ;)

cautioner wrote: »
    Maybe it's 30-40 to get them corrected and the rest is a... "tip" ;)
    Probably....a secret tuition fee!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Might depend on whether the school is ordering the papers only (and teachers correcting their own) or whether they're getting them corrected externally. Maybe they used to do their own and this year decided to send them off.

DEB pricelist is here: http://www.debexams.ie/exam_papers.htm

Examcraft don't seem to list the prices unless you're placing an order - which you have to be registered as a teacher/school to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ours were about 70 I think, and some of the papers took about 5 weeks to come back. Value for money wha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Ours will be 100 and something, but im not worried, i dont pay it ;) And its all cool because id prefer getting them corrected by someone else rather than the teacher

Might depend on whether the school is ordering the papers only (and teachers correcting their own) or whether they're getting them corrected externally. Maybe they used to do their own and this year decided to send them off.

DEB pricelist is here: http://www.debexams.ie/exam_papers.htm

Examcraft don't seem to list the prices unless you're placing an order - which you have to be registered as a teacher/school to do.
    Yeah they do send em away
    As regards the CD's price on the list. Is that per student or is the cost of the cd's split among all the students?

Ours were about 70 I think, and some of the papers took about 5 weeks to come back. Value for money wha.
    Here here.

Remember the JC mocks didnt get some results till nearly Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

huh? I don't remember having to pay fees in 3rd year.

• Advertisement

3rd year mocks had ta be paid for too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Heh I don't remember being told to pay at all....maybe a letter goes home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »
    Heh I don't remember being told to pay at all....maybe a letter goes home.

It goes home, my sister got one last year.

For me theyre either included in the fees or added on top.......my school are great for extra fees, 5 Year PPU membership and a "Graduation Fee" on top of the normal fee............ROBBERS!

Fad wrote: »
    It goes home, my sister got one last year.

For me theyre either included in the fees or added on top.......my school are great for extra fees, 5 Year PPU membership and a "Graduation Fee" on top of the normal fee............ROBBERS!
    Aye, cost of goin to school is arse these days.
    In the next 3 weeks I have to pay for me CAO, mock fees, had to pay for christmas exam stationary before the exams in December

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I thought education was free :rolleyes: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

mine were €100, and I'm paying 160 quid for night study after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Free education means not having to pay fees to attend school, other things needs to be paid for.

The reason there are so many different figures quoted is the mock exams are different in every school. There are several companies producing the exam papers. Some schools only order the papers, some schools order papers and pay for them to be corrected, others charge for the stationery. Some pass this charge onto the student directly, others include it in a fee at the beginning of the year or as part of the book scheme. No two schools are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

its 100 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

It aint a fare deal is it considering the leaving cert fee for 2009 is 109 euro? eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

JSK 252 wrote: »
    It aint a fare deal is it considering the leaving cert fee for 2009 is 109 euro? eh?

yes, but the mock companies are in it for profit, the SEC aren't

• Advertisement

yes, but the mock companies are in it for profit, the SEC aren't

They have to meet their overheads, staff fees like any other business while at the same time investing in the future. This is like any other 3rd party state body. It doesnt matter if its private or public.

I guess, its all fair points. But still letter coming home asking for that much was a bit of a shock. Specially this time of year. Either way thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.

*moves to what might come up in the mocks thread*:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

JSK 252 wrote: »
    They have to meet their overheads, staff fees like any other business while at the same time investing in the future. This is like any other 3rd party state body. It doesnt matter if its private or public.

But the bulk of SEC's funding is from general state funds (i.e. taxes). The fee only cvers a small proportion of their costs. This is from their 2007 annual report, available on their website:
    "The overall cost of running the examinations, including staff salaries and administration costs, in the period 1st January, 2007 to 31st December, 2007 was €64.8 million, of which €8.7 million was collected in fees." (p.28)

So, they'd have to increase fees about eight-fold if they actually wanted to cover their costs.

But the bulk of SEC's funding is from general state funds (i.e. taxes). The fee only cvers a small proportion of their costs. This is from their 2007 annual report, available on their website:
    "The overall cost of running the examinations, including staff salaries and administration costs, in the period 1st January, 2007 to 31st December, 2007 was €64.8 million, of which €8.7 million was collected in fees." (p.28)

So, they'd have to increase fees about eight-fold if they actually wanted to cover their costs.

8.7 million is still a good 15% ( there or there abouts ) of fee accumulation outside of state taxes. Im not denying that the SEC's funding comes from the exchequer. What I was just saying is its a bit over the top the fees people have to pay for the pres/mocks when they arent even the authentic examination! Well they try to be, but they arent. This is as a result of according to my teacher who is an advising examiner in geography ( which I probably have said 100s of times now please excuse me if I have:D) the oligopolistic situation of 2 pre paper companies in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Our school paid for our JC mock papers and we had to pay for the corrections, depending on which teachers wanted to send them away and whatnot.

Nothing has been said about LC mocks yet, but they will probably blame the recession and say we have to pay for the papers ourselves this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

ours are over 100 and when they do come back the grades are way different then what they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Nothing has been said about LC mocks yet, but they will probably blame the recession and say we have to pay for the papers ourselves this year.

Could be the situation in a lot of schools, seeing as the Dept of Education have cut a huge amount of funding to schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

deemark wrote: »
    Could be the situation in a lot of schools, seeing as the Dept of Education have cut a huge amount of funding to schools.

Likely. Every cent will be needed!

Cutbacks in education and transport costs increased. Bus fare has gone up from 1.70 to 2.20! Quite a jump! Getting an education just seems to be getting dearer and dearer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

It's €100 for me

Advertisement