Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens if an EPL team goes bust?

• 31-12-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

What happens if an EPL team goes bust mid-season?

Are the results against them removed?

Do the remaining games become 3-0 walkovers for the opposition?

Which is fairer?

Say "Bust Team A" had beaten Team X and lost to Team Y, doesn't Team Y gain in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Could it actually happen mid season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Could it actually happen mid season?

Doubt it would, I'd imagine the league would do what they did up in Scotland with Gretna (think it was them) and helped fund the team until the end of the season before they were dissolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Platini and Blatter will have orgasms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

All results have to be void surely to be fair (though would this include cards picked up in those matches also? :)).

It's not a desirable situation, and unavoidable unless the teams sign some sort of indemnity at the start of the season declaring they have the funds to pay the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Did it not happen a team in Scotland last season ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

redout wrote: »
    Did it not happen a team in Scotland last season ?
    Doubt it would, I'd imagine the league would do what they did up in Scotland with Gretna (think it was them) and helped fund the team until the end of the season before they were dissolved.

Read the thread ;)

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Des wrote: »

We get first refusal on Robinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Stekelly wrote: »
    We get first refusal on Robinho.

:D This happens in Junior Soccer a good bit and usually the results depend on the stage of the season, sometimes it voids the results and sometimes it goes to 3-0 walkovers. It is a very harsh way for teams to get ridden rock solid sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

LoI fans gloat? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If two clubs go bust simultaneously:

Sky will call it Ford Super Meltdown Sunday.

Sky will insist that one club admits the receivers at 12; the other club at 4.

Gray and Tyler will do a live commentary outside the grounds as weeping, topless fans, stunned kitmen, and the receivers arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Also what happens to us? If it's my team do I go and support another team or just start watching a new sport?

I'm all worried now.

Oh it's alright...just remembered I don't support West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

stovelid wrote: »
    If two clubs go bust simultaneously:

Sky will call it Ford Super Meltdown Sunday.

Sky will insist that one club admits the receivers at 12; the other club at 4.

Gray and Tyler will do a live commentary outside the grounds as weeping, topless fans, stunned kitmen, and the receivers arrive.

With analysis from Jamie Redknapp:"The fans'll be disappointed with that".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think it's fairer than the results are voided which involved said busted team. Whether one team beat them and the other lost wouldn't mean anything as the league then would exist as if the other team never was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It would be almost impossible for a club to go bankrupt midseason.

If a club has unsustainable losses, then a fire sale at Christmas will greatly reduce wages - the primary outlay - as well as reducing debt directly.

Far more likely is for a club to sell all it's players and get relegated and keep plumetting. (Plummet...?)

Eventually, if they cannot begin to make a profit, the club would go into administration and possibly just get liquidated.

But anyway, teh transfer window means it should be impossible to go bankrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It would be almost impossible for a club to go bankrupt midseason.

If a club has unsustainable losses, then a fire sale at Christmas will greatly reduce wages - the primary outlay - as well as reducing debt directly.

Far more likely is for a club to sell all it's players and get relegated and keep plumetting. (Plummet...?)

Eventually, if they cannot begin to make a profit, the club would go into administration and possibly just get liquidated.

But anyway, teh transfer window means it should be impossible to go bankrupt.

I would imagine the transfer window would make it more possible - not less. Things could look ok'ish in january, but something could go seriously wrong in Feb/Mar, and the club would be unable to sell anyone. If there was no transfer window, they could sell whenever they needed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's already happened. Remember Dublin City folded in 2006? They had at that point played 17 games of the 33 game campaign. All results against them were wiped and the league season finished on 30 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dublin City weren't an EPL team.

So, anything the FAI did is harldy a precedent.

I'm sure the FA/Premier League have their own rules.

Advertisement