Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Integra type r - how to tell if it is not a replica?

Options
  • 31-12-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I was looking to maybe buy an integra type-r and was just wondering, how can you tell the difference between the replica's and originals by looking (im looking at getting a DC2)?
    Excuse the ignorance, but Im new to Hondas, last car was an mr2.

Also is there anything to look out for on type-r's that go wrong with them?

Are they a reliable car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

Firstly the colour, type r's are a different shade of white called championship white. next up does it have disc brakes all round. then check the wheels, i think only type r's had 5 stud wheels whereas sir's and dc1's only have 4 stud. check the engine code, if its a type r the engine should have b18c5 printed on it. also the black dashboard, type r steering wheel, red recaros, red carpet and rear seats all indicate if its a type r or not.

very little to go wrong specifically on a type r, make sure it engages vtec properly and doesnt burn oil when doing so. wipe the back bumper above the exhaust before driving, take it out for a spin and let it warm up fully, then drive it hard up into vtec and look in your rear view to see does it send black smoke out. then wipe over the back bumper again to see if theres any oil recently spat out.

rest is all usual car checks, any knocking from suspension or engine, any sign of crash damage, any leaks, and rusting or corrosion.

hondas are generally very reliable so once they're looked after will cause very little trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

p-nut wrote: »
    Firstly the colour, type r's are a different shade of white called championship white. next up does it have disc brakes all round. then check the wheels, i think only type r's had 5 stud wheels whereas sir's and dc1's only have 4 stud. check the engine code, if its a type r the engine should have b18c5 printed on it. also the black dashboard, type r steering wheel, red recaros, red carpet and rear seats all indicate if its a type r or not.

96-98 integra type r's had 4 stud wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

would type-rs have a rep for been rallied into the ground though like levins?
    basically hard to find a good looked after one?

so p-nut basically the vtech stuff is a posible failure point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

Bryn wrote: »
    96-98 integra type r's had 4 stud wheels

my bad, i'm not a honda man;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gline wrote: »
    would type-rs have a rep for been rallied into the ground though like levins?
    basically hard to find a good looked after one?

so p-nut basically the vtech stuff is a posible failure point?

Alot of them would be rallied, also there are 2 different type or DC-2 Type-R's.
    Jap spec (Square Headlights/ Slightly more power than the Euro spec) and Euro Spec (Round Headlights). Main thing to do when you get one is get a very good alarm because all hondas are pretty much crap when it comes to security.

If you go Jap, get an RSM (Takes the Jap speed restriction out of play).

Vtec goes through oil alot, your Vtec should be kicking in at around the 5600RPM mark, if not then something may be up with it but if it has a tonne of aftermarket parts then the VTEC point could be genuinley lowered to be more aggressive. (If your ever looking to get it lowered I would advise going to see Martin in Westward engineering).
    If the car is lowered take a good look at the oil sump as it will be seriously damaged.
    Easy thing to spot fakes aswell is that the rear wiper is not on the early DC-2's. also they won't have Recaro seats in them unless someone went to a real big expense in getting them. Also the second you open the bonnet and drivers door you will see the plate with the engine code etc on it and will tell you there if its a type-r or not.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the input.

they sound like a good car, its either one of these or a golf GT TDI im going for, not sure which yet though :D

thanks for all the input.

they sound like a good car, its either one of these or a golf GT TDI im going for, not sure which yet though :D

Definately get the integra.....but i'm slightly biased!

lol
    why would u say that? vw would be a bit better for mpg though, also i like turbos :) easy enuf to modify ;)

il prob have to just test drive both to judge though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Honda's are easy to modify aswell, with the possiblilty of adding a turbo into it!! ;)

lol id say that is a big job though :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Don't get a diesel..get the integra please.

There's nothing good about diesels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

type R's generally have the stickers removed... its rather role reversal...

non R's have the stickers...

Real's remove them...

quite weird but hey, thats just from my own exp with ricers. :rolleyes:

S.I.R wrote: »

oh ffs, stfu.

Real's remove them...

Why is it that you talk so much crap in this forum?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jesus i must take off my stickers now or people will think i'm driving a replica!

theres a good few differences between 96 and 98 spec integras too.

dont touch one that has had the VTEC point changed over, when its changed the fueling and air mix is wrong and the VTEC point is set at the optimum point from the factory anyway.

the ukdm version has 10 less bhp than the jap version but it does have a better final drive in the gearbox, better security as standard, air conditioning and is way easier to insure (€800 for me)

you should register on http://www.itr-dc2.com loads of information there

draffodx wrote: »
    jesus i must take off my stickers now or people will think i'm driving a replica!

theres a good few differences between 96 and 98 spec integras too.

dont touch one that has had the VTEC point changed over, when its changed the fueling and air mix is wrong and the VTEC point is set at the optimum point from the factory anyway.

the ukdm version has 10 less bhp than the jap version but it does have a better final drive in the gearbox, better security as standard, air conditioning and is way easier to insure (€800 for me)

you should register on http://www.itr-dc2.com loads of information there

Air conditioning was only an optional extra.....cos my ITR doesn't have it :( Which isn't fun on the warm days considering my car is black and the whole interior is black aswell!

Air conditioning was only an optional extra.....cos my ITR doesn't have it :( Which isn't fun on the warm days considering my car is black and the whole interior is black aswell!

yeh wasn't sure if it was standard or optional, some people take it out though because it weighs so much

yeh wasn't sure if it was standard or optional, some people take it out though because it weighs so much

I would happily have that extra bit of weight in my car if it meant i had air conditioning!!!

I would happily have that extra bit of weight in my car if it meant i had air conditioning!!!

might be taking mine out when i'm finished college in march, i'll pm ya to see if you want it! :D

might be taking mine out when i'm finished college in march, i'll pm ya to see if you want it! :D

Cool, let me know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Real's remove them...

Wheres you're Dodge/Mustang/Pontiac?

I wet myself when I read your post

diesel has good mpg though :)

so?!

they sound like tractors! even the 'good ones'.
    get a petrol if you're getting anything, please don't get a diesel. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

if your even considering for one moment an ITR or a TDi golf then imo you should take your time and really think about it.

you cannot compare the 2, so you need to decide what you want?

200bhp raw screaming spine battering vtecing fun, or a diesel golf.

best of luck in your decision!

kceire wrote: »
    if your even considering for one moment an ITR or a TDi golf then imo you should take your time and really think about it.

you cannot compare the 2, so you need to decide what you want?

200bhp raw screaming spine battering vtecing fun, or a diesel golf.

best of luck in your decision!

but both are around similar bhp no?

the gt tdi isnt exactly slow, just not as fast accelerating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

They might be similar bhp, but they are two totally different animals. As kceire: 200bhp raw screaming spine battering vtecing fun, or a diesel golf. The way the Type r delivers that power is totally different from the way a diesel golf does.

acceleration is where the fun is.
    diesels, no matter how powerful or fast will not be exciting or fun.

they rev to 5k if you're lucky ffs! just when you get going..it's all over

not many "cars" do rev to vtech standards, doesnt mean they are ****.
    i am just looking for something quicker than a standard car, doesnt have to be a high revving animal, i already had an mr2 and that was damn quick and fast accelerating and not at high revs, but i dont necessarily need something like that again, i got rid of it because of petrol costs.
    how bad are the integra's on juice? the mr2 used to be like 19-25mpg

not many "cars" do rev to vtech standards, doesnt mean they are ****.
    i am just looking for something quicker than a standard car, doesnt have to be a high revving animal, i already had an mr2 and that was damn quick and fast accelerating and not at high revs, but i dont necessarily need something like that again, i got rid of it because of petrol costs.
    how bad are the integra's on juice? the mr2 used to be like 19-25mpg

It doesn't mean they're shít, they're not. They're just boring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

golf is 150bho
    ITR is 197bhp

Advertisement