Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Photos to local papers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

With so many people having cameras, and photography so open, the value of photography (news, sport, etc) is decreasing.

It can sometimes be hard to agree a decent payment for images.

Some papers, etc, will only use you when they are stuck and have no one else. So, you can't ensure you get regular work/business with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Anouilh wrote: »
    Do some photographers have agents who could do some of the networking, leaving one free to get on with the main photography work?

Don't know the answer to that one. In my situation I built up my contacts because I am lucky enough to know a few people in media/radio & I do most of my work with a journalist who, when needs images taken in the Munster region he calls me. Or I might put a story forward & he negotiates a price with the papers & sells it to the higest bidder, then he writes the story & I photograph it whether it is covert photography or pre arranged.

The majority of my images go to the Tabloids or Dailys & irresepective of what I think of the Tabloids or Dailys I'm still making money. That's the way I look at it.

Now, having said all that, the work can be very slow at times so it is not a weekly paying job, but it lets the camera pay it's way, and it is all declared to the Revenue as I am registered with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Don't know the answer to that one. In my situation I built up my contacts because I am lucky enough to know a few people in media/radio & I do most of my work with a journalist who, when needs images taken in the Munster region he calls me. Or I might put a story forward & he negotiates a price with the papers & sells it to the higest bidder, then he writes the story & I photograph it whether it is covert photography or pre arranged.

The majority of my images go to the Tabloids or Dailys & irresepective of what I think of the Tabloids or Dailys I'm still making money. That's the way I look at it.

Now, having said all that, the work can be very slow at times so it is not a weekly paying job, but it lets the camera pay it's way, and it is all declared to the Revenue as I am registered with them.

Your networking is exactly what makes it possible.

Basically I write. I haven't done so professionally for many years, but there is always a slot for new voices.

The digital revolution has made work possible for many more people than in the past, but as has been pointed out, remuneration is hard to organise.

The ideal would be to combine writing and photography, which would give freshness to the whole effect, but is very time consuming.

In fairness, there are enough people on here that there "could" be a boards agency - covering nationwide things - sports, photojournalism, etc.

Look at the number of people who cover major events - football, GAA, rugby, boxing, etc, all at a level that is quality enough for print usage. There are also a good number of people who have newsworthy photos (recent protests are a prime example).

I guess it just needs someone to organise and run it as a business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Paulw wrote: »

I guess it just needs someone to organise and run it as a business.

Is there really room for another agency? Doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Covey wrote: »
    Is there really room for another agency? Doubt it.

There's always room and competition is healthy though I would imagine it would be fairly tough to get a foot on the bottom rung.

You'd need to be prepapred to ride the storm and the investment for a number of years before there is any return.

Most media already have contracts with the agencies whether they be news, feature or sport and the difficulty would be in trying to compete with them.

Considering how many are doing freelance work, I don't see why there isn't room or business enough for an agency.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Trojan911 wrote: »

i'd have same mentality.... papers for the idiots and all that, but thats down to the articulation of the articles.... image standards are usually on par with broadsheets so I'd be proud

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭XLR8

I've done freelance work for papers in the past and to be honest, I'd rather sell my soul to the devil than do it again.

You usually get called at the last minute when for whatever reason, their own photographers can't do the job. You travel 20 miles, take 50 shots, do a little PP and get them off in time for the deadline, which usually means working until after midnight. You then buy the paper to find out they've only used 2 of your shots and you're going to receive €16 plus a few quid expenses for your work!

This isn't always the case, you do occasionally pick up the paper and find they've used 20 of your shots and it's a bit of a bonus but as a full time job, there's no way I'd ever consider doing freelance work for the papers, it's soul destroying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Sorry for digging up an old thread - but i have a question that is very relevant to this above discussion.......

What is the going rate for a picture used in the local paper? I emailed some relatively decent resolution shots to the paper over the weekend and they rang me today to ask could they use it on their front paper (congrats to me!! :D).

I sent in 3 images in total, but have no idea how many they will use yet. When on the phone i asked about sending an invoice to for my shots (thanks to this forum i would have previously just been happy for the acknowledgment). Was told that they have a look into it after they get it....

So whats the going rate for a weekly local paper that has a circulation rate of approx 21K (according to google searches)

Thanks guys. PM me if for what ever reason you would rather not make it public....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Front page... congrats dude!

Call them again and ask their editorial dept what the going rate for pics is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Whats the paper, I came across some happy to receive photos but have a policy not to pay? I would cement the deal re payment first, find out the rate and come to a compromise, looking into it afterwards seems to me they may try and say then they dont actually pay for photos as it is a free or local paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Whats the paper, I came across some happy to receive photos but have a policy not to pay?

I've come across this before with a local paper, and they've asked me for shots 5/6 times now... I don't think they understand the words "not without cash".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Tye Steve, last time they asked me for one I asked the person on the other end of the line did they work for free? Shut them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I have had paid pics in a few local papers, The most recent time was in January when I charged €50 an image, The Meath Chronicle and the Kerry Eye were the Papers in question!

steve06 wrote: »

Will do - its after hours now but will try again tomorrow after paper published
    Whats the paper, I came across some happy to receive photos but have a policy not to pay? I would cement the deal re payment first, find out the rate and come to a compromise, looking into it afterwards seems to me they may try and say then they dont actually pay for photos as it is a free or local paper.
    Laois Nationalist
    I have had paid pics in a few local papers, The most recent time was in January when I charged €50 an image, The Meath Chronicle and the Kerry Eye were the Papers in question!
    Cheers!

When i was on the phone i explain the whole scenario - it was regarding a house fire. I've probably dictated half the article to the journalist already! Pic's in question on front page of my flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

The Tallaght Echo use some of my images now and again, never got payment. Most recent one was today, I sent in 7 images of the DublinBus/Luas accident, they used one.

Ah well. At least they know I'm there and hopefully future references will come along.

This one made the front page:D the pic is about 5 x 5 inches
    3936846459_631848ebaf_m.jpg

So how much should i invoice for??

one2one wrote: »
    The Tallaght Echo use some of my images now and again, never got payment.

Did you invoice them? Why do you allow them to use your images without getting paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Nope, its a local paper, they don't make much money from it, and I'm happy enough with my name in the paper. Also, I wouldn't have a clue about how much a photo is worth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

The newspapers are looking at this very differently now. There are so many folks sending in images that are happy with just getting their names in the paper, and the standard of these shooters is climbing, that the papers are going to use the free ones instead of paid for ones from photographers trying to make a living.

Thats why I never send in images to papers for free / fun. yeah, there is a buzz on having your name in print, but you may have just taken between 10 and 50 euro out of some other photogs pocket....

By all means, if your going to do it, send in one or 2 for free if you feel you really want to, but after that, either charge or stop sending them. Even the free papers make money on advertising. Local parish newsletters or club newsletters - that's different, but papers in general - they can pay.

Merv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

one2one wrote: »
    Ah well. At least they know I'm there and hopefully future references will come along.

I kinda fell into that trap. Submitted photos at the request of a club I'm involved with. Eventually started looking for renumeration, and subsequently stopped sending in, as they constantly "forgot" to credit me, and when I start putting my name on the image they cropped it out again.
    Got plenty of references from it, but all expected something for nothing.

steve06 wrote: »

Just been onto the editor. Told me to send in an invoice for €15. Its not much but its the principle of paying.
    Happy days.

Just been onto the editor. Told me to send in an invoice for €15. Its not much but its the principle of paying.

Anything is better than nothing. Most papers have set rates anyway, depending on a number of factors.

What do you get for free? Nothing. Your name beside a photo won't buy camera gear for you, and may not do you any good in future either.

This one made the front page:D the pic is about 5 x 5 inches
    3936846459_631848ebaf_m.jpg

3950314706_a44d2038d2.jpg
    So how much should i invoice for??

Got paid today! Only €15 but its the principle that counts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭quickg

Yes, i have to agree with a previous poster (PaulW), that the fees people are happy to get just for exposure is ruining it for professionals whose only income is photography.
    I suspect tahyt many of out part time photographers on this forum may, at some stage in the future, hope to may a career in photography for themselves.
    Well, I suspect, with the going rates at the moment, there is no career prospects there.
    So please think when you are "selling' those photos. You may just be shooting yourself in the foot, if you will excuse the pun.

Its this condescending attitude from newspaper editors towards photographers that has me in a pickle at the moment.
    One of our big provincials used 6 of my photos in a two page spread recently without permission and I am having difficulties with them paying me, never mind achknowldeging my work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

11449_218358125824_723965824_3466054_7545645_n.jpg

When something is done properly it reaps rewards. Featured in 9 newspapers so far and a nice little earner.

So apart from some nauseating self congratulation, what's the point of your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

quickg wrote: »
    that the fees people are happy to get just for exposure is ruining it for professionals whose only income is photography.
    quickg wrote: »
    So apart from some nauseating self congratulation, what's the point of your post?

There you go! :rolleyes:I went through the correct channels as a professional. It may be some "nauseating self congratulation" but so is the nice pay cheque. Also how about the other posters who put up their work? Did you have a go at them? NO!

• Advertisement

:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement