Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Photos to local papers.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Congrats kensutz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

kensutz wrote: »
    When something is done properly it reaps rewards. Featured in 9 newspapers so far and a nice little earner.

It certainly does, here is one splash that earned me a few bob (It paid for a large chunk of my laptop :D) , story continued within... Altogether, about 12hrs work.

4190735700_37e3672fed.jpg

4190739094_3d6880457d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

You followed children in a car around Cork for 12 hours, for money?

charybdis wrote: »
    You followed children in a car around Cork for 12 hours, for money?

Nope, I followed a limo on a two mile route for approximately 3hrs on and off to get my images.

You got a problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Nope, I followed a limo on a two mile route for approximately 3hrs on and off to get my images.

I dont ! Need an assistant ??? :D:D

• Advertisement

In the last year a couple of friends of mine, in separate instances, have been harassed, followed, and generally intruded upon by "journalists" and "photographers" in a fairly harrowing manner over the course of several weeks. The way the press often acted was completely unreasonable and well beyond their remit. I should also say that in neither case did the people in question court the attention of the media or give cause for the use of any material obtained in this manner in a respectable newspaper.

So yes, when I see soft news furnished with surreptitiously or aggressively taken photographs, created at the expense of largely innocent parties (in this case, children), it raises my ire.

I'm just glad print media is suffering the long and slow death it deserves, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭quickg

First of all, there is a long and distinguished tradition of professional photojournalism in this country. I think a huge distinction must be made between those professionals and the squalid paparazzi activity we see above.

For a long time now we have been rabies free and paparazzi free in this country but with the advent of the ubiquitious DSLR, the long lens and the economic state the country is in, no guesses which of these scourges is going to take a hold.

It seems now that everything is open season and the worst type are the part time photographers who do have a paying job in another industry but are sniping at the profession in this way.icon13.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

To be fair I think it was a legitimate story and its well understood that people who are purposefully in the public eye are usually fair game. Don't particularly agree with kids in the media, but ultimately it was their parents behavior that put them there...

Just don't buy the newspapers in question and the paps wont get the money in the long term...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

It certainly does, here is one splash that earned me a few bob (It paid for a large chunk of my laptop :D) , story continued within... Altogether, about 12hrs work.

Have a link to the online article?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

quickg wrote: »
    Yes, i have to agree with a previous poster (PaulW), that the fees people are happy to get just for exposure is ruining it for professionals whose only income is photography.
    So apart from some nauseating self congratulation, what's the point of your post?
    For a long time now we have been rabies free and paparazzi free in this country but with the advent of the ubiquitious DSLR, the long lens and the economic state the country is in, no guesses which of these scourges is going to take a hold.

It seems now that everything is open season and the worst type are the part time photographers who do have a paying job in another industry but are sniping at the profession in this way.

Seems like you have a bad case of overly-exaggerated-sense-of-entitlement going on there.

If your self righteous comments and holier than thou rants above are in any way indicative of the 'long and distinguished tradition of professional photojournalism' that you presumably regard yourself as a part of then I think i'd go with the amateurs any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

So apart from some nauseating self congratulation, what's the point of your post?
    cracking shots ken of the eye gouging ,some people just cant help themselves and give genuine congratulations to someone who has achieved a perfect shot plus a very topical one with the amount of foul play that is currently trying to be stamped out(pardon the pun)..

First of all, there is a long and distinguished tradition of professional photojournalism in this country. I think a huge distinction must be made between those professionals and the squalid paparazzi activity we see above.

It seems now that everything is open season and the worst type are the part time photographers who do have a paying job in another industry but are sniping at the profession in this way.icon13.gif

This wasn't what I was describing at all, quite the opposite in fact.

In the circumstances I was talking about, the photographers and journalists weren't paparazzi, they were on staff at various newspapers or contracted to do work for them. "Photojournalists", if you will. They still behaved in an unreasonable and egregious manner for the purposes of padding column inches in a few rags.

I find it quite telling that all the fearmongering by "pro" photographers about the ubiquity of DSLRs and the threat it poses to their welfare is little more than an indication that their ability is, for all practical purposes, comparable to someone who has just picked up a camera. If you are in a professional setting and you cannot distinguish yourself from a beginner then you are no better than a beginner, you've just been doing it longer.

Judging by the responses, I have obviously touched a raw nerve. That speaks volumes in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Judging by the responses, I have obviously touched a raw nerve.

You really are obtuse, aren't you !

If a 'raw nerve' has been hit I suspect it's one of irritation at your general patronising tone and self-righteous attidude, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I'd be very careful about statements like the above. Everyone starts somewhere and having amateurs, in any business, keeps the professionals honest.

Many professionals get annoyed when "amateurs" start sniffing around their industry, any industry. And they always get p*ssed off and start ranting about being under cut or having their lively hood taken away.

But its a fact of life that people will try new things, that amateurs will be in the right spot at the right time. And its a fact of life that some amateurs will find that they have a nack and the skill to take it to the next level.

Competition is good for any business to thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

K_user wrote: »
    quickg wrote:

It seems now that everything is open season and the worst type are the part time photographers who do have a paying job in another industry but are sniping at the profession in this way.

I'd be very careful about statements like the above. Everyone starts somewhere and having amateurs, in any business, keeps the professionals honest.

Many professionals get annoyed when "amateurs" start sniffing around their industry, any industry. And they always get p*ssed off and start ranting about being under cut or having their lively hood taken away.

But its a fact of life that people will try new things, that amateurs will be in the right spot at the right time. And its a fact of life that some amateurs will find that they have a nack and the skill to take it to the next level.

Competition is good for any business to thrive.

Won't it be great to not have to start at the bottom and work your way up....in any any walk of life?

charybdis wrote: »
    So yes, when I see soft news furnished with surreptitiously or aggressively taken photographs, created at the expense of largely innocent parties (in this case, children), it raises my ire.

Ah, then you have a grudge due to your friends experiences. Well, as you can see in this case, these images were done covertly so no one was the wiser until the story broke.

I have no problem with it and will continue to do more, should or when the needs arise, whatever walk of life. I capture images & get paid to do so.

It raises your ire, it raises my bank balance.
    padocon wrote:
    Have a link to the online article?

No, just got the hard copy. Story broke last year.

You really are obtuse, aren't you !

If a 'raw nerve' has been hit I suspect it's one of irritation at your general patronising tone and self-righteous attidude, nothing more.

Ha, ha:D, I'm actually laughing now. Thank you. did you actually read what you posted.
    Mouth in fifth gear and brain in neutral comes to mind.
    I suggest we end this offensive crap before it gets out of hand. Lets just stay out of each others way eh?

........I'll let you have the last word, ..Go on, go on! I know you want to!!:D:D:D

@ Mods, may be worth closing this thread at this stage as it's way off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Use the report function to highlight it. Quicker response

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    Use the report function to highlight it. Quicker response

Done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

DK32 wrote: »
    @ Mods, may be worth closing this thread at this stage as it's way off topic

Agreed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement