Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway tonight

Options
  • 31-12-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi all.
    just wondering if any firework displays or like in galway city tonight..
    new to area so dont know what is the norm..

HAPPY NEW YEAR...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

try westside ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ya, I am not too far from Westside! Stayed in last NYE with a few mates, and only had to go to the door to see some local *ahem* pyrotechnic displays.

Don't expect 4th of July type, and if you have a hayloft, get a hose ready!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Is that true that everyone who want to firework must get some special permision from officials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Is that true that everyone who want to firework must get some special permision from officials?
    You can't import them, you can be arrested for possessing them, with a maximum fine of €10,000 and up to 5 years in prison.
    • If you ignite a firework or cause it to be ignited in any place, you are guilty of an offence. The offence of igniting a firework can take place anywhere and not just in a public place. It can include the garden of a private house.
    • If you throw, direct or propel an ignited firework at or towards someone else or at property, you are guilty of an offence.
    • If you have a firework with the intention of selling or supplying it to someone else (and you don't hold a licence to import it) you are guilty of an offence.
    You need to apply to the Department of Justice to get a licence to import fireworks, and this must be done at least a month in advance of an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

smokinp wrote: »
    hi all.
    just wondering if any firework displays or like in galway city tonight..
    new to area so dont know what is the norm..

HAPPY NEW YEAR...

So here's question: the Macnas parade happens in July and ends with fireworks. Yes it's the end of the Arts Festival. But really, what is it celebrating except itself. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the fireworks even in late October (Halloween) or December (New Year) when there is something happening in the world that's worth making a noise about?

Ok, maybe the weather's not so likely to be good at those times, so maybe there's a greater chance of cancellation. But it is really so much greater?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

JustMary wrote: »
    So here's question: the Macnas parade happens in July and ends with fireworks. Yes it's the end of the Arts Festival. But really, what is it celebrating except itself. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the fireworks even in late October (Halloween) or December (New Year) when there is something happening in the world that's worth making a noise about?

Ok, maybe the weather's not so likely to be good at those times, so maybe there's a greater chance of cancellation. But it is really so much greater?

You cannot be serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

what the f*ck? maybe you need to pay attention more and perhaps do some reading on how important the Arts Festival is to Galway...

what the f*ck? maybe you need to pay attention more and perhaps do some reading on how important the Arts Festival is to Galway...

Yes, I'm quite serious. And quite well aware of the economic benefits that the Arts Festival brings to Galway

But really, what's a bunch of fireworks got to do with the Arts? And yes, I'm quite deliberately linking the festival to the "high" arts - the folks who follow these are the ones who have the money to spend which brings the benefits mentioned above. Crusty's may look cool, but they don't bring cash with 'em!

And fundamentally, what meaning is being celebrated in people's lives when the AF ends (apart from the slow down in tourist $$$ for the rest of the year)?

But really, what's a bunch of fireworks got to do with the Arts? And yes, I'm quite deliberately linking the festival to the "high" arts - the folks who follow these are the ones who have the money to spend which brings the benefits mentioned above. Crusty's may look cool, but they don't bring cash with 'em!

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly..are you saying the Arts Festival is patronised solely/majorly by 'crustys'?

The Galway Arts Festival draws a *hugely* diverse population. Yes it has street theatre etc, typically more associated with students and 'budget travellers', but it also features world class theatre and music shows, which draw audiences from all over the world. And as for fireworks being apt for some occasions and not others..our 'New Years' is based on a Gregorian calendar, not the 'traditional firework day' of Chinese New Year.
    What about 4th of July? Guy Falkes :rolleyes: etc...

The fireworks are a celebration of a festival, that's how I see them.
    They are artwork in the air - so perfectly apt imo for a festival.

All that being said, I would of course love, in addition a Samhain/halloween parade and fireworks from Macnas..I believe funding is likely the issue.

And fundamentally, what meaning is being celebrated in people's lives when the AF ends (apart from the slow down in tourist $$$ for the rest of the year)?
    Emm the arts festival is just a warm up for the races in terms of $$$.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I understand you correctly..are you saying the Arts Festival is patronised solely/majorly by 'crustys'?

... features world class theatre and music shows, which draw audiences from all over the world.

Just the opposite: the arts festival is mainly patronised by "world class" audience members, who are the ones who bring in the big money. And somehow I doubt many of them would be watching the fireworks, which are a far more "populist art form.

...our 'New Years' is based on a Gregorian calendar, not the 'traditional firework day' of Chinese New Year.
    What about 4th of July? Guy Falkes :rolleyes: etc...

I didn't think we were allowed to mention Mr Fawkes here in Ireland :rolleyes:

4th of July has meaning for Americans. 14th of July for the French. 1st of July for the French. 6th of February for New Zealanders. Chinese New Year for the Chinese Etc etc.

But New Year in the Gregorian calendar does have some meaning for pretty much everyone. So IMHO it would be a far more appropriate time for a public celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Just the opposite: the arts festival is mainly patronised by "world class" audience members, who are the ones who bring in the big money. And somehow I doubt many of them would be watching the fireworks, which are a far more "populist art form.

What is a 'world class' audience member?

I didn't think we were allowed to mention Mr Fawkes here in Ireland :rolleyes:
    I was being bad:p
    But New Year in the Gregorian calendar does have some meaning for pretty much everyone. So IMHO it would be a far more appropriate time for a public celebration.
    I reckon that the streets way looked fuller after the parade than New Years Eve. You do mention a bunch of holidays, (Halloween, Bastille day, etc) but that list is much longer if we keep going globally...if we take in all international events (often tourist ones) that have fireworks.
    The Arts Festival is a *Galway* festival that invites people *in* - I don't think it needs to have a global 'significance'. If that were the case, all international festivals with fireworks would happen on the same day, no?

I have to disagree about who watches the fireworks. I actually it strikes me as one of those public events that draws all sorts, from the hippies to the punters to the kids (if they are up!),
    Why should art be separatist? The whole idea of the festival is that there is something for everyone (there are many free shows as well as 50 smacker shows).

I just happen to like fireworks (is that obvious? :P).
    I would have them 3 or 4 times a year if we could, but wouldn't do it at the expense of ending the Arts Fest/Parade display to be honest.

What is a 'world class' audience member?

Wealthy ;)

I reckon that the streets way looked fuller after the parade than New Years Eve.

Of course! There is NO public New Year's event in Galway. There is NO WHERE to go if you want to take kids. There is NO WHERE to go if you don't want to be around alcohol. (Ok, McDs/Supermacs don't sell the stuff, but there's so much oozing from the pores of their patrons that they may as well!) In fact, it's one night when I do agree with the complaint that there's nothing to do except go to the pub.

I would have them 3 or 4 times a year if we could, but wouldn't do it at the expense of ending the Arts Fest/Parade display to be honest.

IMHO, it shouldn't be an either/or.

Of course! There is NO public New Year's event in Galway. There is NO WHERE to go if you want to take kids. There is NO WHERE to go if you don't want to be around alcohol. (Ok, McDs/Supermacs don't sell the stuff, but there's so much oozing from the pores of their patrons that they may as well!) In fact, it's one night when I do agree with the complaint that there's nothing to do except go to the pub.

IMHO, it shouldn't be an either/or.

It is pretty well known that the population of Galway is hugely increased in July, so that and the fact that is usually f*cking cold, may *also* add to the reason for not as many people on the streets!:P

New Years (unfortunately) does have the rep of being a pisshead night on the streets, so many people also avoid town. Not saying there are not pissheads in the Festival (ha!), but town seems more family friendly because of sheer numbers of kids.

I think we are agreed now that it shouldn't be an either / or :)
    It did come across earlier like you were suggesting the Arts Festival fireworks be *moved* to a 'better' time.

We need to encourage more evening / alternative events, and start them ourselves if need be. More places like the Social Space (which is booze free AND had kids stuff Halloween night) would be welcomed by a lot of people and should be supported as much as possible by folks who want this.

Advertisement