Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports MGMT and Coaching

• 31-12-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Can anyone who is doing this course help me out? and advice me wheter or not its a worthwhile course or not etc.. and hours and all that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

You will struggle to get peoples opinions on this as the course only started this semester! One thing I know they do alot of gym work.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

I'm doing it now

Most people seem to really enjoy it, I'm not mad on it myself. It is a new course so obviously there will be teathing problems which can't be avoided, but some of the grading plans were just tossed aside as the semester went on.

If your anyway "lazy" with coming into the college from day to day you will be caught out, and be "recommended to reconsider if the course is for you", then handed a withdrawl form(no one took it up, just a scare tactic imo)

Do the usual anatomy(fairly difficult),accounting, Bis admin, Bis Info Studies, along with other coaching stuff and fundemental movement(basically overhead squat, advantages, disadvantages, weakness improvments etc)

The hours arn't bad i guess, two 9to5s, and basically three half days. At least four hours practical crap, so taking a coaching session or making up a ciruit yoke for upper body improvement. There is also swimming tiesday morning in the NAC, which you might think is a bitch but can be a really good laugh once the you forget about the freezing cold, and you do improve your swimming.

There are other coaching stuff done aswell, we did the FAI kickstart badge(i had to redo mine, thank you very much FAI for redesigning it)a cricket coaching course, and we should be doing both GAA and IRFU when we get back. THere is also a placement in either a school or something where you'll take a 2nd or 3rd class group and coach them in whatever sport you do.

Basically if you like a more practical course i'd recommend it, you'll have a laugh and the group as a whole are a really nice group.

Hope I helped, give me a shout if you've anymore question.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭samurai kebab

I'm doing this course. There's far to much business on this course for my liking which is really putting a lot of people in the course off it although I think they just had free class space they just wanted to fill up to be honest.

Besides that I think it's a good course and if you do the four years you'll have a good CV filled with thing like the F.A.I,G.A.A,I.R.F.U badges etc. They're also aiming at getting us our first aid and lifesaving badges by the end of the second year. These are among other things I'm just not thinking of so even if you only come in for two years and leave with a diploma you'll be well set for a job I'd say. I'm fairly sure you'll be able to go into teaching P.E and business after this course as you do get a business degree of some sort from it I believe.

Anyways I reckonyou could get a job in most sports assosciations (football,rugby,gaa,cricket etc) from this course but it would be at ground level like kids and schools coaching or you could easily get a job in most gyms,health clubs and such. Don't be getting the idea that you'll be walking out of here as a premiership manager or anything although I believe this course gives you a good grounding and a good few from it could certainly work their way into high positions in sport.

Thats my opinions on the course any more questions feel free to ask away.

p.s Drodan who are you? ha and how you finding studying for the tests?

I'm Alan, ya know the dude with the hair, haha.

Havn't studied at all, gonna start now since i now know whats going on in accounting.

Who's yourself??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Drodan wrote: »
    I'm Alan, ya know the dude with the hair

Narrow it down for the bloke :D

• Advertisement

I'm the only Alan in the course(i think)

Plus I'm the only guy with hair over 3inchs long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Really hoping I get this course. First option I had down on my CV. Just one question, Is the swimming optional?

No you have to do it. I know it seems like a bitch but it is actually a good laugh. Plus you learn all the proper techniques. If you can't swim either that's fine too, there are people who are really strong swimmers and others just starting out.

No you have to do it. I know it seems like a bitch but it is actually a good laugh. Plus you learn all the proper techniques. If you can't swim either that's fine too, there are people who are really strong swimmers and others just starting out.

Cool thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that it would be for average+ swimmers or something like that.

No worries

there's four groups prob should have mentioned

Group 1: the really really good swimmers

Group 2: the good swimmers but not as group 1

Group 3: the crapy swimmer, im in this group *sigh*

*Drowners: self explanitory really*

Little inside joke there for ya, haha

• Advertisement

No worries

there's four groups prob should have mentioned

Group 1: the really really good swimmers

Group 2: the good swimmers but not as group 1

Group 3: the crapy swimmer, im in this group *sigh*

*Drowners: self explanitory really*

Little inside joke there for ya, haha

:D I have a feeling I'll fall into that last category myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rocco.

Any boardsies presently doing the course.

Pretty much same questions as above, what is the weekly timetable like? Many full days etc, what is the course content like?
    Are you completing many of the badges run by Fai, life saving etc...

How good are the sports facilities at the college?

Thanks

You can see the sports hall & the gym here:

http://www.itb.ie/CampusStudentLife/virtualtour.html

Click on the 2 little roundy arrows on the big building in the middle.

AFAIK New equipment was put into the gym only this yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FB5

Hey, the course is great...there is alot of business ( its basically business management degree with sports context) so if your not interested in business....don't bother. Two long days and 3 half days, if you don't attend you won't make it very far!

Anyway, brillant course...great craic.

I didn't do the FAI badges but the rest did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

rocco. wrote: »
    Any boardsies presently doing the course.

Pretty much same questions as above, what is the weekly timetable like? Many full days etc, what is the course content like?
    Are you completing many of the badges run by Fai, life saving etc...

How good are the sports facilities at the college?

Thanks

I know this isnt my course but I am doing the Bus Sport & Rec in Athlone IT and it is another option instead of this course.
    http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/courses/highercertificateinbusinsportrecreation/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

After doing the course in blanchardstown for a year could I go then go into UCD's second year Sport management course?

Nope, tried that and they didn't seem too enthused about the idea. You can go into WIT 3rd year after 2nd year as you'll technically have a level 6, though it also means leaving ITB and applying to WIT with the chance of being turned down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Nope, tried that and they didn't seem too enthused about the idea. You can go into WIT 3rd year after 2nd year as you'll technically have a level 6, though it also means leaving ITB and applying to WIT with the chance of being turned down.

hmm, **** :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deand21594

Hi just a quick question, did any of you apply from leaving cert and if so how many points did you need to get this course?

deand21594 wrote: »
    Hi just a quick question, did any of you apply from leaving cert and if so how many points did you need to get this course?
    It was 345 in 2011, 345 in 2010 and 290 in 2009.

http://www.qualifax.ie/qf/QFPublic/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=31048&CSH_ID=18&AdvancedKeyword=&ResetCount=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deand21594

alri thanks, was just a bit confused because on the itb website there wasnt any mention about points, just said 2 higher c3 and 4 pass

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dado76

hi all!
    i just want to ask,i have been offered a place in this course as a mature student for level 8 and level 7, just thinking which option would be better as if you finished 3yrs you get ordinary degree so my question is :
    if you go for 4 yrs do you still get that degree after 3yrs even if you dont finish 4rd year?i hope this makes sense:)

As far as I know if you do a level 7 you can continue on after the three years to gain your level 8 but if you do a level 8 you'll need some form of extenuating circumstance to leave after three years, which you will then have to fill out the exit award form yoke.

So basically if your unsure do the level 7 and make your mind up after the three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

accepted this today level 8 hoping to leapfrog into H.Dip Ed afterwards, does anyone know if it is possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dado76

As far as I know if you do a level 7 you can continue on after the three years to gain your level 8 but if you do a level 8 you'll need some form of extenuating circumstance to leave after three years, which you will then have to fill out the exit award form yoke.

So basically if your unsure do the level 7 and make your mind up after the three years.
    thanks,thats what i did!

toc2012 wrote: »
    accepted this today level 8 hoping to leapfrog into H.Dip Ed afterwards, does anyone know if it is possible?
    You could probably go in as a mature student (if you 19/20 now, since a level 8 is a 4yr course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daragh16

Hi,

Anyone currently doing the course able to tell me what career opportunities there are afterwards? In my first year in college, but not enjoying the course and so will be switching next year. Was offered this course in the summer but turned it down (unfortunately). Parents reckon there's no real opportunities at the end of this degree, so :o

Any help/information would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭toc2012

i accepted this course but was subsequently offered sports coaching and performance in letterkenny, and as that being a bsc and this a ba, i decided on lyit

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Wizzy2011

You could probably go in as a mature student (if you 19/20 now, since a level 8 is a 4yr course).
    Incorrect! You must be a mature student from the start of the course, regardless of you meet the age criteria within the second day of your respective course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 thehammer69

Is the course good??

Advertisement