Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling flights

Options
  • 31-12-2008 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I have booked flights to go to the UK tomorrow and return next week. I have decided not to travel as I am suffering from flu. How do I go about cancelling the flights and do I lose much money? I can't seem to spot how to do it on the Aer Lingus website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Depends on the type of ticket you have, but most often you'll find the tickets are non-refundable. Reclaiming the taxes is subject to an "administration fee" which basically chews up the taxes, so it's rarely worthwhile. I believe though that Aer Lingus (like other airlines) will allow you to change the dates for a fee, so it's probably best to reschedule your trip...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bardcom wrote: »
    Depends on the type of ticket you have, but most often you'll find the tickets are non-refundable. Reclaiming the taxes is subject to an "administration fee" which basically chews up the taxes, so it's rarely worthwhile. I believe though that Aer Lingus (like other airlines) will allow you to change the dates for a fee, so it's probably best to reschedule your trip...

With Aerlingus you can't change the date within 48 hours of travel- but you do get the taxes and charges back (unlike Ryanair).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

smccarrick wrote: »
    With Aerlingus you can't change the date within 48 hours of travel- but you do get the taxes and charges back (unlike Ryanair).

I think Ryanair to give you back your taxes but you pay an admin fee which leaves feck all left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Surely if you get a doctor's note, you can submit this to your health insurer and claim back the cost of the flights... assuming you have insurance of course.
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

similar query:

i book flights for four to head off next week, but one pulled out, so Do i only check in three of us on the online check in yeah? Will that allow me to check in just the three ordo i have to check in the forth and have him not show up at the airport?

cheers,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Surely if you get a doctor's note, you can submit this to your health insurer and claim back the cost of the flights...
    Depends on the insurance, most will require it to be something fairly serious to refund it (i.e. a cold or flu will not be enough reason for a refund).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

similar query:

i book flights for four to head off next week, but one pulled out, so Do i only check in three of us on the online check in yeah? Will that allow me to check in just the three ordo i have to check in the forth and have him not show up at the airport?

cheers,

When checking in online, you can just select the 3 of ye instead of the four.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

smccarrick wrote: »

You can change your flight up to 2 hours of travel with Aer Lingus.

Advertisement