Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky viewers vote Liverpool players the best in all areas.

• 31-12-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

Dont know if anyone is aware, but over the last few days Sky have held polls with fans for the best players in the league. Liverpool won them all.

Carragher as best defender

Gerrard as best midfielder

Torres as best striker

I always knew Sky viewers were informed, clever people, but this just confirms it for me.

Well done SSN :)

ps:i should also add Anfield has been voted the most atmospheric stadium in football & we are top of the league. Good time to be a Liverpool fan......apart from the whole "captain/best player being arrested" thing! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Dont know if anyone is aware, but over the last few days Sky have held polls with fans for the best players in the league. Liverpool won them all.

Carragher as best defender

Gerrard as best midfielder

Torres as best striker

I always knew Sky viewers were informed, clever people, but this just confirms it for me.

Well done SSN :)

LOL!:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Oh god, this should be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

fun, cause its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

LOL Carragher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Who cares? Isn't there a Liverpool thread for info like this? Any reason why I shouldn't merge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

fun, cause its true.

Good bit of baiting there!

merge if you feel fit Mr Xavi. Just figured it was a poll relevant to all PL clubs as the nomniations were from all clus. Us winning them all doesnt really change that.

Personally, i think Carragher shouldnt have got it, but the other 2 are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

I always knew Sky viewers were informed, clever people, but this just confirms it for me.......that they are all Liverpool supporters. :pac:

ditto>> Caragher LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do they vote for keepers? Reina a shoe-in if they do!

Looking forwards to the contributions of certain Man Utd supporters who will belive
    Ronaldo, Rooney and Rio shudda won it :pac:

mike65 wrote: »
    Do they vote for keepers? Reina a shoe-in if they do!

Looking forwards to the contributions of certain Man Utd supporters who will belive
    Ronaldo, Rooney and Rio shudda won it :pac:

To be fair -

Rio > Carragher

Ronaldo > Gerrard over the last 18 months

Rooney is nowhere near Torres though,

• Advertisement

18 months in a year now?

tbf....Rio shoulda won the defender award. But I presume the reason Gerrard won the midfielder one was because he actually contributes to all aspects of the team as a "midfielder" should, whereas Ronaldo doesnt and he has been a lot better than Ronaldo the last 5 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Torres best striker? He hasn't kicked a ball in months. He's not even in the top 20 goal-scorers this year!

And Carragher? Man united and Chelsea have much better defensive records so far this season.

Stupid poll.

edit: is this over the last 18 months?

Here's a more accurate picture of this season - statistics. Liverpool actually have the worst shot accuracy in the league, interesting one that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

quarryman wrote: »
    Man united and Chelsea have much better defensive records so far this season.

Man United have conceded three less goals than Liverpool, and have played 2 less games. Hardly warranting the statement 'much better'. I do think that Carragher should be nowhere near the award though, and the fact that Torres hasn't played properly in about 4 months severely dents his nomination, but I can't think of a better striker in the PL over the past 12 months so I'll leave him off. Gerrard deserves midfielder too.

18 months in a year now?

Just further emphasising how long it's been since gerrard could be deemed better than Ronaldo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

does this just suggest that a lot more pool fans voted as even if I was to think player X was the best doubt id pay to txt in to say he was unless he happened to play for my team cos id like to see the players i support win.

nice to see Laursen came 2nd in the defenders catagory though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Erm it happens with everyone of these Sky polls as far as I can remember.

Xavi6, being a Mod gives no added protection from talking nonsense it seems! The issue is calander year 2008 so your point is er pointless.

Xavi6, being a Mod gives no added protection from talking nonsense it seems! The issue is calander year 2008 so your point is er pointless.

Fine I'll go on the calendar year then.

Ronaldo<<<<<<<<<<<Gerrard

That ok?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fine I'll go on the calendar year then.

Ronaldo<<<<<<<<<<<Gerrard

That ok?

well in the calendar year of 2008 there has been 2nd half of the 07/08 season and 1st half of the 08/09 season - Gerrard was defaintely the better in the 1st half of this current season, and again Gerrard had a very strong 2nd half of last season when his partnership with Torres really blossomed.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    well in the calendar year of 2008 there has been 2nd half of the 07/08 season and 1st half of the 08/09 season - Gerrard was defaintely the better in the 1st half of this current season, and again Gerrard had a very strong 2nd half of last season when his partnership with Torres really blossomed.

Very true but for it's really only been the last 6 weeks or so that Ronaldo has gone off the boil (aside from his period out injured).

For 2008 as a whole I really think it's impossible to see past him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

people saying that Gerrard deserved this over Ronaldo are retarded.

Simple as that.

Des wrote: »

Simple as that.

I'm not retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Meh, someone remind me what Stevie G, Torres and Carragher won in 2008 again please?

RasTa wrote: »
    Meh, someone remind me what Stevie G won in 2008 again please?

Sky Sports News Midfielder of the Year.

Sky Sports News Midfielder of the Year.

Indeed, close pointless thread.

[/end]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Of course Liverpool won, the voters were hardly at work when the poll took place :)

Ronaldo is a good player, but I'd imagine a lot of people find it difficult to vote for someone who isn't likeable (or English)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Jesus have these people nothing better to do. :rolleyes:

Over the last 12 months Ferdinand, Vidic and even Terry were miles ahead of Carragher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Meh, someone remind me what Stevie G, Torres and Carragher won in 2008 again please?
    comparing willies is a bit stupid too.

Is John O'Shea better than Stevie G or Carragher?
    zAbbo wrote: »
    Of course Liverpool won, the voters were hardly at work when the poll took place :)

brilliant. :D

• Advertisement

Indeed, close pointless thread.

[/end]

HTML Tags,
    you're doing it wrong.

HTML Tags,
    you're doing it wrong.

I use dreamweaver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ah, Liverpool, the Rick Astley of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who cares? Isn't there a Liverpool thread for info like this? Any reason why I shouldn't merge?

I agree, any thread not Stephen Ireland related should automatically be merged elsewhere and buried.

Is John O'Shea better than Stevie G or Carragher?

Of course, it's the way the world works.

Jii Sung Park is joint 2nd best player in the world with Ronaldo.

Josh wins it by a nose for haveing the "eddie McGoldrick, play anywhere, extra super winner" card in his locker.

Simple as that.

I wouldnt think Gerrard was the best striker last year eaither. Which is most likely why he wasnt voted best striker.

//can o' worms// Ronaldo has been playing as a forward for quite a while now //can o' worms//

Maybe if Rio was standing on his own two feet and didnt have a better centre half playing with him that makes him look better than he is, he might have won. It doesnt take a genius to work out that if a Utd defender had won it, it shouldnt have been Rio Ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

merge if you feel fit Mr Xavi. Just figured it was a poll relevant to all PL clubs as the nomniations were from all clus. Us winning them all doesnt really change that.

Personally, i think Carragher shouldnt have got it, but the other 2 are correct.

How do you reckon Torres deserves it. Has he not been injured nearly the whole season. I think he is the best striker in england hands down but cannot be this season.

quarryman wrote: »

And Carragher? Man united and Chelsea have much better defensive records so far this season.

So if your team conceeds more goals than another team , your automatically a worse defender?

All these one man defenses have a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement

You are all idiots. This is nothing to do with football. It's democracy.

In any poll, the victor is the one with the most votes (*).

In this case, Gerrard, Carragher, and Torres got more votes than anyone else, so they win. Unless someone can prove that they didn't win the poll they are wasting their breath debating for no reason. Idiots.

(* Notable exception - Lisbon Treaty Vote, no winner until the right winner appears)

spockety wrote: »

(* Notable exception - Lisbon Treaty Vote, no winner until the right winner appears)

We also voted no the first time divorce came around, should that mean that's the end of it? So don't start with that Lisbon crap.

We also voted no the first time divorce came around, should that mean that's the end of it? So don't start with that Lisbon crap.

Haha.. jesus.. ok.. relax.. twas a joke..

spockety wrote: »
    Haha.. jesus.. ok.. relax.. twas a joke..

I'm still pissed off about the no vote!

I still haven't a clue what the Lisbon Treaty is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

On the positive side of things, at least this will help fill a few spaces in that extra large trophy cabinet Liverpool bought in 1989! :D

Joking aside, this is an Internet poll and is about as valid as the one were the dubliners won that BBC best song of all time poll. I'd imagine we could find a Liverpool forum somewhere that had an organized voting syndicate going!

I agree with Xavi, this does not deserve it's an thread either.

Draupnir wrote: »
    On the positive side of things, at least this will help fill a few spaces in that extra large trophy cabinet Liverpool bought in 1989! :D

are you slaggin Liverpool about trophies won?! :p:D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p:D i'm pretty sure Liverpool have no problem filling any trophy cabinets you wanna throw at them.

you've made my night

Ah I was just joking and trying to make the point that these awards would be of any value to any of these players! It would be like us having a vote here and then thinking it as valid and important.

I still haven't a clue what the Lisbon Treaty is about.

Purple monkeys.

On the positive side of things, at least this will help fill a few spaces in that extra large trophy cabinet Liverpool bought in 1989!

The Champions league trophy is actually quite big. If filled up a good chunk of space. A few FA cups, league cups and a UEFA means another extention is due. We stuck the Super cups in a cupboard. The charity shield's take up a good chunk too.

I agree with Xavi, this does not deserve it's an thread either.

Lots of events (and some clubs) dont deserve a thread but still get them, so meh.

Stekelly wrote:
    The Champions league trophy is actually quite big. If filled up a good chunk of space. A few FA cups, league cups and a UEFA means another extention is due.

The extension is only due now? You had all last year to get it built, we knew in March what size it needed to be :p

The extension is only due now? You had all last year to get it built, we knew in March what size it needed to be :p

The plans were scrapped and are beign revised upwards due to recent results.:)

Stekelly wrote: »
    The plans were scrapped and are beign revised upwards due to recent results.:)

Well then the one you built in 2004 should be free since you were in the same boat then Nd ended up 4th!

Too many people are starting to think the season is at all near finished at Christmas, at this point Liverpool have achieved as much as Norwich in 1995!

Too many people are starting to think the season is at all near finished at Christmas, at this point Liverpool have achieved as much as Norwich in 1995!

Yeah but in 13 years we'll still be in the top flight.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yeah but in 13 years we'll still be in the top flight.

I'm pretty sure Leeds thought the same thing....

I'm pretty sure Leeds thought the same thing....

They were always likely to find their natural level after some over achieving years.

We'd have to go a few years without winnong anything at all before I'd even start to get worried.

• Advertisement
Advertisement