Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a full license without spending a fortune.

Options
  • 31-12-2008 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Gonna cost me quite a bit to get insurance, even if I get it on my parent's car. Cost me about the same to get a enough lessons from a motoring school to pass the test.

Anyone know if there is somewhere off the public roads I could learn. Like some sort of carpark or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Where are you based?

I went through this same thing 18 months ago.

Got a cheap car that I was nice and embarassed about, with a low price. Made sure it had power steering. You won't be worried about getting a bump or two if it's your own car, and it didn't cost much to begin with.

Next, I actually went into the insurers in person. Because the parents have their own car insurance with Axa, I managed a deal to get fully comprehensive for less than €1500. This is on a first provisional licence, me as the main driver, and never having had any other experience driving.

The parents taught me the basics. I got lots of practice myself driving around private housing and industrial estates at the weekends, and I got 2 2-hour driving lessons to fix up all my problems. Applied for test, passed first time, 6 months after first sitting into the driving seat. It's all about practice. I don't know how anyone could do it without having their own car to practice all the time in.

Because I hadn't been insured for the full 12 months I had paid for, I applied for a refund, and got back ~€200 (though to be fair, I didn't apply for the refund for a few months after again).

You can do all of this for about €2500. Bear in mind that I would have been a high-risk candidate for insurance. 19, male, living on dublin northside - doesn't really help with the anti-boy-racer image.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement