Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car sales by county for 2008

Options
  • 31-12-2008 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Is this info available online anywhere? I'm curious as to how low a reg number I can get with an import.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I don't think there is but...

If you wanted to, you could go onto www.cartell.ie and we'll say if your trying to find 05-lk lowest number you could start high and work your way down. Don't go for number like 4000, because i think they skip them. If the number isn't in use it won't come up, if it is, it will... I hope you understand lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Ahh, nice work. Just below 9000 it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you're willing to pay for it, most interesting numbers are already reserved by the revenue each year, 333, 444, 555, 1111, 1000, and not all are taken by customers. Also, by default all numbers from 2-200 (Or it could be 250) are automatically reserved for sale.

So if you really want, and are willing to pay for it, you can have 0x-x-44 for example.

That would be quite interesting. Do you know how much it would cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

That would be quite interesting. Do you know how much it would cost?

It's €1,000 now :eek:

I'm sure the figures are split by county in the car sales guide, but as mine is in work and I'm not there till Friday I can't confirm, or give you any figures.

If you want a low number, I'd say Longford may be your best bet ;)

• Advertisement

It used to be 315 Euro, but if it hasn't already gone up, it's due to go up to around 1000 Euro. You can thank our retarded government and Gormless for that one. Fianna Fáil & The Greenies - Motor Enthusiast Persecutors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

The cso produce stats on all this type of stuff each year...takes a bit of digging but its in transport reports....

it breaks it down by county, car make, engine size etc etc....

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/transport/current/vehlica.pdf

What a joke. e300 was just about reasonable. Has it definitely already gone up? I wonder was it a budget 08 special?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

R.O.R wrote: »
    It's €1,000 now :eek:

If you want a low number, I'd say Longford may be your best bet ;)

Oy !!! Go easy on Longford ! Only marginally beaten by Limerick City !

Leitrim likely to have lowest numbers !

There's no point in suggesting counties to the OP AFAIK. When you register a car, and pay the VRT, it goes off your PPS number nowadays, which is linked to the address you provide too.

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote: »
    There's no point in suggesting counties to the OP AFAIK. When you register a car, and pay the VRT, it goes off your PPS number nowadays, which is linked to the address you provide too.

Yeah and I'd sooner have a 10 digit reg than have an LD one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ned78 wrote: »
    It used to be 315 Euro, but if it hasn't already gone up, it's due to go up to around 1000 Euro. You can thank our retarded government and Gormless for that one. Fianna Fáil & The Greenies - Motor Enthusiast Persecutors.

Plates like that aren't for motor enthusiasts. They're for overindulged idiots or people who know better than to be buying a new car if raising €1,000 is going to be a problem.

Screw people who buy these things for as much as possible. Nice touch and all, but they can make you look like a right pleb. Not a necessity as all.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Plates like that aren't for motor enthusiasts. They're for overindulged idiots or people who know better than to be buying a new car if raising €1,000 is going to be a problem. Screw people who buy these things for as much as possible. Nice touch and all, but they can make you look like a right pleb. Not a necessity as all.

Not that tired old argument again ... for f*cks sake ... if someone wants to buy one, let them. People who moan and groan 'oh sure they're an overindulged idiot' really need to get out more and stop begrudging the things that make other people happy. I must be a bigger idiot, and not a motoring enthusiast as I have 2 cherished plates, one for the car, one for the bike.

And who cares if it's a necessity or not ... upping the price of a cherished plate from 315 euro to 1000 means that less people will buy them, which means less money will enter into your government's coffers. Yet another idea not even remotely thought out by Fianna Fail. Sure we'll up the price on everything, road tax for pre-08 cars, VAT, cherished plates - that'll help the ailing economy for sure.

Did you know you can buy cherished plates in the UK for 49 Sterling? And here it's 20 times more because the Government decided that 6 times more wasn't enough, oh no. It had to screw the Irish Motorist for 20 times more. There is no justification for that, no motive that can explain it. It's down right exploitation on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Plates like that aren't for motor enthusiasts. They're for overindulged idiots or people who know better than to be buying a new car if raising €1,000 is going to be a problem

Let's step down and be humble for a minute. The more other people spend on plates like that, the less you and I have to pay in motor tax, income tax, etc. etc.

Live and let live. And fair play to all the folks out there who fancy a cherished plate and are willing to fork out for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

There's a form to pre book a registration that you fill out before the car is first registered in Ireland. And you pay the fee of course.

Advertisement