Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Highlight of 2008

• 31-12-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

What was it?

Mine has to be the win at Old Trafford for the first time in my life time (and over 30 years). Our fans at the game did us proud and we played superbly. I had tears in my eyes at the final whistle such was the pride I felt. We don't get many big moments being City fans but that was fantastic.

A distant second is the whole takeover buzz and the shit stirring we did by bidding for Berbatov and signing Robinho. Some of the posts on here at the time from United fans had me in stitches.

EDIT: Xavi pwning all to win Player of the Tournament at Euro 2008 was quality.

EDIT2: Sorry I have to add Robinho's free kick against Chelsea. All the hype, all the money, all the reputation justified in one swing of a right foot. For about 2 minutes we were the best team in the league. A fantastic feeling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shelbourne fielding a team, and going to the last day in a promotion battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

EMP-5971691.jpg

This. I ended up with a busted lip as I ran into someone's elbow celebrating like we won the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

22nd May - Celtic won the league after it looked as if they had blown it the previous month

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

being Irish and not a Brummie this probably could have been even better but when Villa beat Birmingham 5-1 last season, god that felt good, it was like we were emphasising you are no longer going to rival us because compared to us you are now Snit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

My first ever Shels match in May, which led to my subsequent "conversion" to LOI football
    Also- Euro 2008 was a really great tournament, definitely a highlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Schuster admitting it was impossible to come to the Camp Nou and beat Barcelona. The fact so far we have played Atletico Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia, Real Madrid, and Villareal, scored 17 goals and conceded 2, gathering a maximum of 15 points, yet people still haven't been convinced. :pac:

The one moment of the season though? Beautiful counter attack, Puyol (I think) heads it to Hleb, who plays a beautiful through pass to Henry, who just nearly fcuks up the pass to Messi, then BOOM, Messi chip. :D If only Cannavarro didn't destroy the aesthetic beauty of the chip...

And taking a less biased approach, this was my favourite goal at the Euro's, I love Nihat, and this was actually the perfect goal, lovely first touch with the little body swivel, and then the technique with the curler, it looked like it shouldn't have been allowed go in.. Nihat really is the man. It was so quick too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

falling in love........

fernando-torres.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Last game in Tolka, we are going home:

http://vimeo.com/2659864

Joseph Ndo single handedly beating Cork:

http://vimeo.com/1633795

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

City surviving and going on to win the Setanta Cup.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Turning around to my Arsenal Fan mate and saying something like "That goal was great, Ye deserve to go through now" when Walcott demolished our team and set up Adebayor for what surely was the goal to see them edge past Liverpool,
    In the end we turned it all around again and scored 2 late goals and because of my nice words my mate had no choice but to graciously accept that Liverpool are the Greatest club in the World :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That by a mile, 2nd best moment as a football fan.

1.04 soon as quigley rounded the keeper the roar from the crowd (only 2500 at it) and camera doesnt quite catch it. simply amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I know it's fairly general, but Euro 2008 was brilliant. The Arsenal-Liverpool (Champions League) match, and Arsenal-Spurs (4-4) matches were great as well.

Otherwise, obviously, the Champions League final & Scholes' goal against Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For me the highlight fo 2008 was watching an organised and well coached Republic of Ireland team in their first World Cup Qualifier and knowing after the game that we have a serious chance of making the World Cup.

Tom65 wrote: »
    and Arsenal-Spurs (4-4)

The fact that Spurs released a dvd of that was also a highlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Has to be this for me

terry.jpg

:D

Oh and of course

united-cl2.jpg

and

english-football-nc.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

25th January when TD were seen off for the last time.
    Sean O Connor's equaliser on a Tuesday night in Cork.
    6th May when work restarted.
    Riise's equaliser at Anfield against Chelsea.
    Getafe's winner in January at the Bernabeu ( :pac: ).
    Torres' goal at the San Siro.
    Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

being in a full Hillsborough on the final day of the season to see Sheffield Wednesday defeat Norwich 4-1 to survive the drop to Division 1.

Also included is the farewell to Dion Dublin - a great asset to football over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtHKizOpJso&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My highlights would be...

- Man United winning the Premiership

- Man United winning the Champions League

- Euro 2008 and the numerous thrilling matches plus the Apres Match skits.

- RTE's analysis which continues to beat out Sky and BBC comfortably

- The RTE pundits singing on Miriam. Unbelievable.

- The rise of Rory Delap and my tribute video of him getting over half a million hits plus a mention in the Irish Examiner. Also on the same day Americans were voting for their president, seeing it become like the second most watched video in the world for that day. As one Stoke fan said, "I can't believe on one of the most important days in American history that the second most watched video on Youtube is a video of Rory Delap." :D

- The great games of the Premiership including Arsenal vs Spurs, Arsenal vs Man United plus Everton vs Villa in recent weeks.

- Seeing the fantastic rise to prominence of Stephen Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Scholes goal against Barcelona in the Champions league semi-final was mine. I remember going nuts with some Real Madrid supporters (Who I loathe) in a bar in Madrid. Then recieved a smack from the Barca supporting girlfriend and watched the rest of the game with my heart in my mouth. Brilliant.

scholesgoalv2AH_468x281.jpg

5900494.jpg

xinsrc_08205050109182182644519.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wat a ****ing match this was......this is probably my highlight of the year in all seriousness.

Aldos commentary is deadly....."4-2, Have that Wenger! Out ya go!"

Phil Thompson

probably my goal of the year too.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Des wrote: »
    The fact that Spurs released a dvd of that was also a highlight.

Very true. In fact, I may well enjoy that fact more than the match itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

My highlight is quite simply

31_Dec.jpg

Losing the Champion's League final on a slip, Italy getting knocked out on penalties as well, losing the home record to ****ing liverpool.

Only really 2 highlights, Juve getting back into the Champion's League at the first shot and me getting post of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Well the Champion's League final didn't go so well, so why not this stunner from Riise;

riise-scores-a-last-minute-own-goal-against-chelsea_59.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

abelard wrote: »
    Well the Champion's League final didn't go so well, so why not this stunner from Riise;

riise-scores-a-last-minute-own-goal-against-chelsea_59.jpg

typical chelsea fan,
    for me it was being in Paris with a bunch of spanish lads for the Euro 2008 Final it was an immense night even in a random unrelated city, huge crowd took over the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Seeing the words Tallaght stadium on the new season tickets.

Thomas Davis taking the final beating.

Buying my 5 month old son his first rovers/united baby football kits (sad, I know.)

United lifting the Champions League again.

The Euros: a few great reminders of how beautiful and romantic football can be at the very highest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Was just watching a highlights show of Euro 2008 that was on RTE last week.

It really was a fantastic tournament. Definitely my highlight of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Spain winning Euro's was the main highlight.

Most enjoyable game of the year was Cup final Derry vs Bohs. Cracking football alround.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I know it's been said a few times already but:

....best night of my life. Just the whole atmosphere at OT was something I feel priveliged to have experienced and may never experience again :(

I'll never forget dancing around with some random bloke sitting beside me, falling to the floor with joy, with bruises on my shins for a week afterwards from accidentally kicking the row of seats in front (anyone who's ever been to OT knows what I mean).

The Stretty was something special that night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

The day we did the double

Bear with it... missing peno kicks all through the night gives way in the end :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm a Leeds fan, there were no highlights. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

5-1 over Arsenal in the 2nd leg of the Carling semis was a bit special. Walking past the entrance to the away end where there is usually a load of aggro, and a police cordon keeping the Goons in and the Spurs out :o, with not a red shirt in sight as they'd nearly all left after the 4th goal...:D Then do the High Rd towards my regular boozer, the place was buzzing, all the late night hairdresser/crack dealers were out on the street joining in the celebrations, the pub was jammed when I got back in.

Then on to Wembley in February, and a real emotional rollercoaster day before Leds went up to lift the cup. Back to pub again, for more mayhem down the High Rd, including some poor bastard falling off the top deck of a London bus...:eek:

Been mainly sh1t other than that...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Qualifiying for Europe after the season we had was the undoubted highlight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Has to be the return to the Premier for Dundalk :D The manner in which it happened will be a highlight for a long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Realising this song existed

oh right, football...

the whole of euro 2008 was class. spain finally did the business, and with style too

Beating United in the league for the first time in ages. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Keegan's Newcastle gaining a more than credible draw at Old Trafford on the opening day (having seen us ship 6 there the previous season), which also happened to coincide with one of the worst day of my life as I was busy getting mugged twice in Buenos Aires and later losing all my bank cards at a River Plate game - but THAT result cheered me up! Had me convinced we could achieve top 6 this season. Cheers Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

SectionF wrote: »
    The day we did the double

Bear with it... missing peno kicks all through the night gives way in the end :pac:

That was some night! Definitely the highlight of the year.

The night we won the league down in Drogheda was pretty special too. I finally warmed a little to Jason Byrne after that :p.

The whitewash of Shamrock :cool:.

Also the signing of Kalonas - a gem brought into the LoI by Nutsy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

gerrard%20arsenal%20pen.jpg
    Stevie firing us into the Champions League Semi-Final

610x.jpg
    Babel scoring against United to give us the win

_44789709_torres_getty.jpg
    Nando scoring the winner in the Euro 2008 final to win me a decent bit of money

Martin_Skrtel_and_R_417948a.jpg
    Our rock signing back in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Des wrote: »
    Shelbourne fielding a team, and going to the last day in a promotion battle.

Are/Were Shelbourne really in that much trouble???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Il Trap being named Ireland manager:

6a00d83451c83e69e200e5534470ce8833-800pi

Still can't believe we've managed to go from having a complete Donkey of a manager in Staunton to having one of the most successful European managers in Trapattoni in the space of one qualifying campaign. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Turkey equalising vs Croatia with about 0.03 seconds left to go. Jaw dropping.

The Dutch butchering Italy. I had wanted to see them get pasted after that dodgy free kick decision on which they beat the Scots.

Are/Were Shelbourne really in that much trouble???

:eek:

Yes.

Every season we field a team from now on, I will look on as a highlight. Anything else is a bonus.

We were a gee-hair away from folding in the 06/07 close season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Either Spurs stuffing Arsenal 5-1 or actually winning the League Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Ashley young winner against everton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nev6ZuSqiac

Villa fans might remember a few years back when Everton thankfully beat Villa to the signing of James Beattie the Everton Chairman said that 'Aston Villa got to realise they are no longer a big club'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Liverpool beating Arsenal in the CL quarter final.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kold wrote: »
    Either Spurs stuffing Arsenal 5-1 or actually winning the League Cup.

I was watching the League Cup Final with my dad when Spurs got that free kick. I said to him, "Watch this now, Woodgate to score with his head", just as the ball was kicked. Being proved correct was both amusing and worrying! :D

Bently's 40-yarder against Arsenal was another major highlight.

I'm a United fan, btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

An Fhile wrote: »
    Bently's 40-yarder against Arsenal was another major highlight.

Yeah, unfortunately he's done bugger all for us since =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

When we won the league, that was probably the highlight of the season for me. Nothing better than winning the league, much prefer it to any of the cups, even the CL.

But for me, Ronaldo's header against Roma was just something special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Football split between Ireland playing with shape and John Terry falling over. ('08 was a poxy year to be an Arsenal fan)

Seeing as no-one said specifically football (though it is in the soccer forum) I've gotta give a mention to Federer/Nadal. Sporting moment of the year for me.

Advertisement