Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Upgrade !

Options
  • 31-12-2008 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hello Guys ,

Fairly soon I will be buying all my parts for the upgrade I have been planning over the christmas. I would like to know what you guys have to say about the choices I have made.

Btw I have all the peripherals ( Keyboard , Mouse etc ) and already have a 320 seagate 7200 rpm hard drive and a q6600 CPU. I could be getting a new a CPU though as I have to see if I need to replace it with a new one as I think it may be fried from the last over clock I done on my old 650i mobo ( 2.4 GHz to 2.6 GHz then to 2.8 GHz it would not start up at this point ) My comp does not start up now and I tried resetting the CMOS and everything. I dont have another PC to test if its ok or not. I will just use things like the dvd drive , hard drive etc from it with the new upgrade.

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX CUDA
    PCI-Express 2.0, "Superclocked" 2xDVI, HDCP, Core 216, Graphics Plus, 55nm - € 279

RAM - Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5,
    Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's - € 58

Case - Antec Nine Hundred black miditower - € 94

Power supply - Corsair Powersupply 650W Black, ATX/EPS,
    120mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI - € 90

Motherboard - EVGA nForce-750i SLI, ForTheWin (FTW),
    Socket-775, DDR2, GbLAN, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)16 - € 175

Thanks for reading. :D

Any advice would be great :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be honest there's not much I could argue with there, personally. Do you plan on going the Sli route? Board could be saved on, if you're not going to utilize its features. And if you are going Sli, doesn't the 750i use dual 8x lanes instead of 16x on the 780i? Which might somewhat hinder SLI'ing cards of the GTX2x0 series. Not hugely or anything, but just a thought. Overall looks a solid build though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I highly doubt you fried your Q6600, they can take alot of punishment.

What have you tried?

Follow this procedure for resetting the cmos, do the usual jumper reset, however once you change the position of the jumper leave it for 15 minutes then, remove the coin battery and when you do this - make sure you take out the plug from the psu, take out the ram and after 15 then put in the coin battery again and put the cmos jumper back, plug in the plug to psu and boot up.Then turn if off again and put in the ram.

If this does not work, then maybe you have damaged your cpu/Mobo.

Buying a 750i for anything over €80 is crazy stuff and investing in a dated €170 Q6600, when you can move up to core i7 is also kinda mad.

X58 boards can be had for €200 now and core i7's are cheap enough, they are blistering quick, support both sli and crossfire and multi gpu scaling on them is incredible.

t4lxim44agafykxza7ep.jpg

9zoh8sz1oiqeivxs1pr4.jpg

a9dtsk0j853be8584jy.jpg

listfm24687h6gy390yn.jpg

v6vup21mxvgsw6198yc.jpg

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/14

This is what I would be buying.

kvhimey6dr97iz59txy.jpg

http://www.dabs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

looks good , rams a bit slow for my liking tho , get some pc8500 ram ,
    would be allot better for overclocking

Advertisement