Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

That doesnt answer my question

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jetski wrote: »
    That doesnt answer my question

Jim Power of Friends First has estimated falls at between 1.1 and 1.5% per month at present. This is contradicted by the Permanent/ESRI index which indicates a cumulative nationwide fall of just over 16% since September '06 (though it does acknowledge that the falls have been accelerating).
    The Permanent/ESRI fall is based on asking prices, as opposed to sale prices. The IAVI does have the sale prices- however have refused to release them (as indeed they have also refused to release their report on the property sector which was completed in early September '08).

The data on which accurate reports could be made does exist- but is not in the public domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 EnoughSaid

According to that website average price for a 3 bedroom house has dropped by over 9% in the last 12 months. That's just a national average, I'm sure it's more and less pronounced in different counties.

Much more relevant is that 64% of properties have been on the market for over 6 months and the average time on the market is now 8 months.

Prices are irrelevant if nothing is selling.

The prices on that website are asking prices and they therefore only show reductions in asking prices. In reality the sales prices will have fallen much further because the prices that properties will have sold at will be much less than the asking prices. In this country the actual selling prices are not freely available, like they are in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

EnoughSaid wrote: »
    In this country the actual selling prices are now freely available, like they are in the UK.

where are the actual selling prices available, and is there a site such as http://www.nethouseprices.com which details the property and sale price?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 EnoughSaid

Blackjack wrote: »
    where are the actual selling prices available, and is there a site such as http://www.nethouseprices.com which details the property and sale price?.

Sorry, that was a typo..."now" should have been "not". I have now corrected it. Sorry to raise your expectations! That information would be very useful but it seems that the VI's do not want this to be made public.

• Advertisement

EnoughSaid wrote: »
    Sorry, that was a typo..."now" should have been "not". I have now corrected it. Sorry to raise your expectations! That information would be very useful but it seems that the VI's do not want this to be made public.

That's a Bummer.

I wonder does the land registry or its equivalent hold or release this info?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I don't think so. It seems to suit the powers that be to keep us all in the dark as to what houses are actually selling for (as opposed to the asking price)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

That's a Bummer.

I wonder does the land registry or its equivalent hold or release this info?.

The IAVI have the data, but are unwilling to release it, as they feel it would cause further problems in the housing market.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

smccarrick wrote: »
    The IAVI have the data, but are unwilling to release it, as they feel it would cause further problems in the housing market.

"Jesus, if they're not releasing the report it must be shocking! No way am I gonna buy now!"

Yeah, way to help the market...

You would think that the IAVI would be thinking "a percentage of something is better than a percentage of nothing" at this stage....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Regarding making offers for houses and taking into account the current economic conditions/ outlook what would be considered reasonable/ unreasonable? For example I came across the below on Irish Property Watch

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=405053

The property was uploaded onto daft on the 14th of September, 2008 at 259,000. The price was dropped to 249,000 on the 21st of September and further dropped to 240,000 on the 16th of November. As such I am thinking the property is generating little interest or the seller although perhaps testing the market is eager for a quick sale. In this case would an offer of 200,000 be completely unacceptable and way too low or would it be a good starting point. On the other hand would an offer of 200,000 perhaps be too high? Not buying yet myself and just merely using this one as an example. What are yer thoughts on this folks?

Also does anyone find daft is not a fantastic site. It would appear to me that the same photos are used for different properties and incorrect photos are used. For example photos of semi detached houses are in for properties described as terraced. Are there any better sites out there?

Also does anyone find daft is not a fantastic site. It would appear to me that the same photos are used for different properties and incorrect photos are used. For example photos of semi detached houses are in for properties described as terraced. Are there any better sites out there?

In all fairness to the folk in DAFT- the photos are those which are supplied by the estate agents/auctioneers/private sellers- if the incorrect photos are either uploaded or duplicated elsewhere- for the most the fault does not lie with DAFT. If you look at the likes of myhome.ie- duplication of photos for multiple properties seems to be rife (along with many examples of appalling photography :()

Re: what to offer? Its already been reduced a few times- which indicates a lack of interest in the property. In such a context an offer 15-20% below the asking would appear to be a reasonable course of action. You may get it for less- but its as likely that the seller would tell you to take a flying leap.

It would be helpful prior to making an offer if you found out what the position of the seller is (e.g. if its an executor sale or a developer sale- they are far more likely to bite a low ball offer than someone who hopes to trade up and buy elsewhere).

S.

smccarrick wrote: »
    In all fairness to the folk in DAFT- the photos are those which are supplied by the estate agents/auctioneers/private sellers- if the incorrect photos are either uploaded or duplicated elsewhere- for the most the fault does not lie with DAFT. If you look at the likes of myhome.ie- duplication of photos for multiple properties seems to be rife (along with many examples of appalling photography :()

Have to say the quality of some photos is shocking - if you're interested in getting people in to look at your home that's for sale, then at the very least give the place a good tidy. How people expect to generate interest when the place is like a kip when the photo's are taken I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

I was going to buy last year. Very glad I didn't now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Have to say the quality of some photos is shocking - if you're interested in getting people in to look at your home that's for sale, then at the very least give the place a good tidy. How people expect to generate interest when the place is like a kip when the photo's are taken I'll never know.

Daft is the poor cousin when it comes to houses for sale. Myhome.ie is leagues ahead of them.

However, Daft cant be beaten for renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

What are the totals for sale between myhome and daft?

how many are duplicates etc?

I never knew there was such a big difference

any stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

321654 wrote: »
    Daft is the poor cousin when it comes to houses for sale. Myhome.ie is leagues ahead of them.

Dunno would I agree. There certainly seems to be more houses on Daft...Well where I'd be looking to buy (in Limerick city). Perhaps this is not the case in other parts of the country though. Myhome.ie may well be better at not posting incorrect pictures (based on my quite narrow search).

Something tells me though that neither of them can compete with calling to the estate agents. I have drove past quite a few houses with for sale signs up in recent weeks and not a sign of them on either Daft of Myhome.ie. No doubt that may be simply due to the fact that estate agents don't provide either Daft or Myhome.ie with all properties for sales in their dealings

321654 wrote: »

However, Daft cant be beaten for renting.

Not sure there is much of a difference with the Photos to be honest, you can often see the same on both.

Who normally takes these, is it the EA or the seller?.

In all fairness, they can be gash at times.

Not sure there is much of a difference with the Photos to be honest, you can often see the same on both.

Who normally takes these, is it the EA or the seller?.

In all fairness, they can be gash at times.

Myhome.ie tends to be estate agents, Daft tends to be private individuals (a generalisation- but a pretty good assumption).

Advertisement