Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prams Prams Prams Pushchairs & Buggies . . . . . .

• 31-12-2008 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Prams prams prams, What Pram? Three wheels or four? With or without pneumatic tyres? Turning front wheel needed? Maybe three big wheels is better? But is the four wheel Pram lighter? & cheaper? Or what about a four axle buggie with eight tiny wheels? Which is best? Pram, Pushchair or Buggy? & will it fit in the boot?

McLaren, Silvercross, Quinny, Craco, Britax, or Mamas & Papas? with detachable car seat thingy included? or not? detachable wheels maybe? maximum carrying weight? independent suspension, multiple parent trays :confused:

Its nearly like buying a New Car > can anyone please advise which Pram, Pushchair or Buggy for a first born.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Anyone heard of a shop called 'Euro Baby' and are they any good for Prams?

Where are they?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Eurobaby - http://www.eurocycles.ie/scripts/

I recommend going in to the shops,finding something you like and then buy it online.

I found kiddicare.com great.

I presume massive savings can be made if you travel up North or over to Wales.

We need everything, Pram/ Pushchair/ Cot Bed/ High chair etc.

Is it worth going to the UK ?

kiddicare.com is great, as is bimbomarket.it

they deliver to ireland...

I got my pram in eurobaby it was on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Camelot wrote: »
    I presume massive savings can be made if you travel up North or over to Wales.

We need everything, Pram/ Pushchair/ Cot Bed/ High chair etc.

Is it worth going to the UK ?

Yes,
    The UK is alot cheaper for buggies and cots and everyting after too,formula,nappies.....
    Kiddicares postage is 20 pounds to Ireland.
    I hear great things about http://www.bumpsnbabies.co.uk/ too,they are in Newry.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Yes,
    The UK is alot cheaper for buggies and cots and everyting after too,formula,nappies.....

Yeah we're so being ripped off for formula down here... I know higher vat and everything but just an example...

Box of SMA Gold in Dunnes Stores - €12.89 last time I was in...

Box of SMA Gold in Sainsburys - £7.00 when my aunt got it for me two weeks ago...

Now you say, the difference is in the vat, higher wages, higher overheads...
    then how can they sell a box of SMA Gold in Superdrug in the Omni Shopping Centre for €9.00???

I was flabbergasted!

So we should make a huge saving if we buy the Buggy etc in NI or Wales :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Yes,
    sometimes not always the case, if you haggle with them you can get a very good deal. But be wary, I am in sales and pram salespeople are fecking sharks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭VeryBerry

Camelot wrote: »
    Prams prams prams, What Pram? Three wheels or four? With or without pneumatic tyres? Turning front wheel needed? Maybe three big wheels is better? But is the four wheel Pram lighter? & cheaper? Or what about a four axle buggie with eight tiny wheels? Which is best? Pram, Pushchair or Buggy? & will it fit in the boot?

McLaren, Silvercross, Quinny, Craco, Britax, or Mamas & Papas? with detachable car seat thingy included? or not? detachable wheels maybe? maximum carrying weight? independent suspension, multiple parent trays :confused:

Its nearly like buying a New Car > can anyone please advise which Pram, Pushchair or Buggy for a first born.

Thank god I'm not the only one who's confused! I think we actually spent less time choosing the right car!

I'm starting to lean towards the whole baby-wearing thing. Pottering around with the baby in a carrier/sling is starting to sound a lot more attractive (and simpler!). I'll have been lugging it around for 9months by the time its born anyway...what difference will a few more make :D

• Advertisement

I love bringing baby around in the sling and she loves it too.I got a baba sling in TK Maxx for 30 euro which was a lucky find as they are twice the price normally.
    Though I don't bring her outside in this weather in it unless it is just from car to shop,I find the pram way better for walks at the moment.

http://www.babaslings.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

Do you have to get a pram and one of those travel system things?

Coz I was thinking maybe the travel system would be pretty nifty for putting baby in and out of the car would be great? But are they comfy enough to be taking them out for walks in? They don't have hoods or anything sure they don't?

I really haven't a clue :o

VeryBerry wrote: »
    I'll have been lugging it around for 9months by
    the time its born anyway...what difference will a few more make :D

lol, that's very true, never thought of it that way :D

Coz I was thinking maybe the travel system would be pretty nifty for putting baby in and out of the car would be great? But are they comfy enough to be taking them out for walks in? They don't have hoods or anything sure they don't?

Decide how much you can afford,decide what you would like and then make them meet:)

It all depends what you want.
    I got the maxi cosi mura 4 travel system.
    The reasons were -
    I do not like 3 wheelers.
    The terrain here isn't always the best and want to wheel it on the beach.
    I think babies belong in prams.
    One of the safest car seats on the market.
    It is easy to fold.
    I can lean on the handle and it does not topple.
    I forget the rest:)

I love my pram:)

Disadvantages -

It does not fold very small.
    It weighs about 17kilos folded.

The maxi cosi car seat has an integrated hood and I got a rain cover for it.

oooh thanks for that Moonbeams, just googled it....it looks nice alright, like a proper baby pram. One question, the car seat, does that fit into the pram at buggy position?

I saw another one on the mothercare website that goes from pram to buggy and then you slot the car seat in and folds down very neatly. By the looks of it, the kid'll still be using it at it's 21st :D

Yup,the car seat fits on to the pram frame too.

That 'maxi cosi mura 4 travel system' sounds like just what i'm after, its an 'all in one' right? from birth upwards, including the carry cot ~ nice :)

Looks a little expensive though, or is that the norm for an 'All in One' ?

Nah,it is a little expensive.
    There are much cheaper ones,have a look at the online4baby shop on ebay.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

The Mura Travel system is actually really heavy and a nightmare to fold down. I'd go with a Bugaboo, seems to have everything you're looking for and they're really trendy! Ebay is good, but make sure you test out the pram in a baby shop first. Appearnces can be deceiving!

The important thing is you get a buggy that suits you....there is no best buggy out there, everyone is different, therefore their needs when it comes to buggys is going to vary too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I researched buggies, travel systems and prams for months first time round. We really wanted a Phil and Ted's but they were way out of our price range and at that time we weren't planning on increasing our brood. If you are planning on having more than one child, I would highly recommend a Phil and Teds because most of them turn into a double buggy. We just bought a Phil and Ted's Sport which came with the cocoon (for baby 0-6 mths approx) and double seat for a great price. We get our baby stuff from kiddicare.com. Their service to Ireland is fast and reliable, we ordered a big load from them on a Friday night and we had it in NW of Ireland on Tuesday morning.
    Write a list of your specifications eg. do you go for walks on the beach? Do you have a small boot. Do you need to take baby on public transport etc.

Good Luck - you'll need it ;):D

• Advertisement

The Mura is really easy to fold and unfold it is just really heavy.
    It really depends where you live and where the buggy is being used.

http://stores.ebay.ie/Online4baby is great too.

Anyone used eBay to buy their pram?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Oh no, it's happening again.. I've always had a 'pram problem', but buying a new one at 5 weeks is a personal best (worst??). I bought a britax voyaga travel system when I was pregnant, and I do love it, but it is huge. The cloth on the hood was wearing away from being forced into the boot, it barely fit. I don't drive a mini, it's a toyota corolla! So I spotted the visio in TK Maxx during the week and bought it. Much, much smaller, perfect for the boot. I still prefer using the voyaga, though, seems more comfy for baby. Somebody please stop me before I strike again.

So you didn't buy it on eBay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

Hey we bought a bugaboo bee on www.pramworld.co.uk - was about €300 cheaper than full price here - was a package deal and inc buggy, baby nest, foot muff, adaptors and car seat. In the house now and can't stop checking up on it in the kitchen! We chose it cause it seemed really strong but light (7.7kg) which was nb for us as I want to be sure I can manage it around the city on my own. Also really liked the reversible seat idea. It's def a bit smaller than average too I think, just as well, we've a large enough semi d and it barely fits!

I hear the mclaren buggies are really good too. Am a ftm so have to admit i was dying for a glam buggy. whoo hoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Just to say,

The travel systems are great and all for short journeys to the shops etc, but if you're going to be taking walks of maybe 40 minutes or more, very young newborns need to be lying flat on their backs. Even the best carseat in the world means that they're sitting in a semi-reclined position. Newborns need to be laid on their backs as much as possible. They can't sit up and having them in a carseat will tire them out as their muscles are not developed enough to tolerate a semi-reclined position for prolonged periods of time. With that in mind, I would say that you should, as much as possible, restrict the carseat to the car only, don't lift it from car to chassis of buggy. You're better off having the lie-flat pram/pramette for a newborn.

I know my little newborn used to get cranky if I brought her around with the carseat clipped onto the buggy frame for too long. Eventually, I relented and I just used the pram until she was 4 months old or so.

HTH

Quackles wrote: »
    Oh no, it's happening again.. I've always had a 'pram problem', but buying a new one at 5 weeks is a personal best (worst??). I bought a britax voyaga travel system when I was pregnant, and I do love it, but it is huge. The cloth on the hood was wearing away from being forced into the boot, it barely fit. I don't drive a mini, it's a toyota corolla! So I spotted the visio in TK Maxx during the week and bought it. Much, much smaller, perfect for the boot. I still prefer using the voyaga, though, seems more comfy for baby. Somebody please stop me before I strike again.

You think you're bad... I now have the NeoNato Trio Sport travel system AND the Quinny Buzz travel system... both as presents... :s

You think you're bad... I now have the NeoNato Trio Sport travel system AND the Quinny Buzz travel system... both as presents... :s

We should start a support group :) Pushchairaholics anonymous.

I have a graco quattro tour de luxe buggy now too,it folds very easily and you can lie baby flat.
    I do not love it as much as the Mura but it is nice and a lot cheaper!
    I have the opposite car seat problem,she loves it I hate leaving her in it,the only time I have ever used it on the frame was when I had to get a lift to a train and a lift home on the other side.
    For tiny babies you really can not beat a pram.

A good e-bay shop is online4baby,
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Online4baby

• Advertisement

I have a graco quattro tour de luxe buggy now too,it folds very easily and you can lie baby flat.
    I do not love it as much as the Mura but it is nice and a lot cheaper!
    I have the opposite car seat problem,she loves it I hate leaving her in it,the only time I have ever used it on the frame was when I had to get a lift to a train and a lift home on the other side.
    For tiny babies you really can not beat a pram.

A good e-bay shop is online4baby,
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Online4baby

I feel better now knowing that it isn't just me who has this problem :)

Also, glad to hear that the quattro tour de luxe is a good 'un, as I just bought one for my sister, due two weeks today! Can't wait to meet my niece or nephew. For those of you still looking, I bought it in smyths in Sligo, 230 eurons including the pushchair, carrycot thing, car seat and base. No rain cover, which I found weird, thought they were fairly standard. Ah well!

Advertisement