Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem: New Stanley solid fuel cooker smoking!

Options
  • 31-12-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

We got a new Stanley solid fuel cooker in about 4/5 months ago. Everything was grand. But recently it has started smoking. It does so when I turn the by-pass knob to the left/anti-clockwise, where it says cooker. So the thing is I can't find the manual. Is it possible my mother disturbed something when she was trying to clean it? Or is it just blocked? Or is it something to do with the draft?

I got got some remedy solutions from the internet under the following heading "Cooker smoking when bypass damper closed". But I am right in saying my cooker is smoking when the bypass damper is open?

Your help is appriaciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

When was the last time it was cleaned properly?
    Depending on use and Fuel used, a Range can need cleaning twice a week..

Take off the top (careful they are heavy) and have a look see if anything is causing a blockage, soot build up etc...
    Open the small Soot Door in the middle of the range and make sure nothing is blocking it there, sooty build up etc...

Where the flue comes up out of the range open the Cleaning eye on the bend (if you have one) and check for any blockage there too...

Lastly when was the last time the chimmney was swept? no harm to run the rods up there and give it a clean too..
    If you don't have a set of Sewer Rods with a brush, get some it saves having to pay someone to come in and clean the chimmney for you...

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Hotwheels wrote: »
    When was the last time it was cleaned properly?
    Depending on use and Fuel used, a Range can need cleaning twice a week..

Take off the top (careful they are heavy) and have a look see if anything is causing a blockage, soot build up etc...
    Open the small Soot Door in the middle of the range and make sure nothing is blocking it there, sooty build up etc...

Where the flue comes up out of the range open the Cleaning eye on the bend (if you have one) and check for any blockage there too...

Lastly when was the last time the chimmney was swept? no harm to run the rods up there and give it a clean too..
    If you don't have a set of Sewer Rods with a brush, get some it saves having to pay someone to come in and clean the chimmney for you...

Best of luck :)

Thanks for the usefull advice, I shall takle it tomorrow. I cleaned the chimley a few months ago with me sewer rods (fortunately they only ever see the chimley now as we got a new septic tank) before it went in, and i gave it a good auld clean. The cooker is certainly not cleaned twice a week and we are using coal so I shall follow your advice and report back. Go raibh mile!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Ok she is all cleaned out and there's not a bother on her now. Thanks for the advice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gingerspice99

Malman what kind of coal are you using?

Advertisement