Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Wrestler

• 31-12-2008 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Please post who you thinks are the top three wrestlers of now and of all time going on pure wrestling ability.
    NOW
    1.Kurt Angle
    2.Randy Orton
    3.Shawn Michaels

ALL TIME
    1.Bret Hart
    2.Ric Flair
    3.Shawn Michaels

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Purely based on my own tastes

Current
    1. Brian Danielson
    2. Chris Jericho
    3. Naomichi Marufuji

All Time (while I have been watching)
    1. Bret Hart
    2. Chris Benoit
    3. Brian Danielson.

I just want to point out also, that I am basing those purely on the fact of my seeing the majority of their careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

All Time
    1. Hulk Hogan
    2. Jake "The Snake" Roberts
    3. Randy "Macho Man" Savage

Wrestling ability is more than just technical skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

NOW
    1.AJ Styles
    2.Kurt Angle
    3.Randy Orton

ALL TIME
    1.The Rock
    2.Bret Hart
    3.Shawn Michaels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

All Time
    1. Hulk Hogan

There's no denying that the man was the absolute master of getting the maximum out of the minimum, could put on a great match when he needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

There's no denying that the man was the absolute master of getting the maximum out of the minimum

Lol, outstanding description!!

Aside from that, in terms of charisma and working a crowd, there are very few who are on a par with him.

My list-

Current
    Shawn Michaels
    Aj Styles
    Kurt Angle

All time
    Shawn Michaels
    Ric Flair
    Undertaker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

NOW
    TRIPLE H
    SHAWN MICHAELS
    EDGE
    ANGLE

OVERALL
    RIC FLAIR
    HULK HOGAN
    RANDY SAVAGE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭OrtonViper

By the way if anyone says John Cena or Batista I think they should be banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Company Sgt

Now
    Triple h
    Shawn Michaels
    Edge

Alltime
    Stone Cold Steve Austin
    The Undertaker
    Bret Hart

OrtonViper wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Im getting deja Vu from a thread like this a little while ago:...

But do you mean on the ability to wrestle, (moves, stamina etc)
    Or their professional wrestling abilty (working the crowd, mic work)

or a mixture of both?

Because for the latter im sorry im going to have to say Cena would be my number one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

NOW
    1.Kurt Angle
    2.Shawn Michaels
    3.Samoa Joe

ALL TIME
    1.Owen Hart
    2.Bret Hart
    3.Shawn Michaels

Im getting deja Vu from a thread like this a little while ago:...

But do you mean on the ability to wrestle, (moves, stamina etc)
    Or their professional wrestling abilty (working the crowd, mic work)

or a mixture of both?

Because for the latter im sorry im going to have to say Cena would be my number one....

Try just base in on actual ability rather than there work on the mic an all.

Why?

Because neither of them can wrestle to save there lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I was going to put Jericho in the NOW list but I dont watch WWE anymore so I dont know if he is as good as he was back in late 90's early 00's

Now:

Kurt Angle
    AJ Styles
    Samoa Joe

All time:

Curt Henning
    Roddy Piper
    Ric Flair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hard one to call.

Gary Albright, Kurt Angle, Taz, Sakuraba.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

All time:

Curt Henning

ohhh.. good choice.

all time:
    The Rock
    Triple H
    Ric Flair

i think these 3 have done the most in wrestling. u could argue hogan too but i just dont like the guy. sure the other 3 there are a$$holes but they are likeable a$$holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭herewegoagain

Triple H in the year 2000...Sensational

The Rock

Edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Such a selection to pick from. Think it would be a much easier task to pick more who are all round the"greatest" of all time than 3 guys.

Today
    Shawn Michaels
    Kurt Angle
    A J Styles

All Time(in no particular order)
    Shawn Michaels
    Bret 'Hit Man' Hart
    Ric Flair
    Hulk Hogan
    Mick Foley
    Stone Cold Steve Austin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Today
    AJ Styles
    Kurt Angle
    Edge

All Time
    Ricky Steamboat
    Mick Foley
    Kurt Angle

Try just base in on actual ability rather than there work on the mic an all.

That "work on the mic an all" is as important (if not more important) a wrestling ability as technical wrestling skills. A wrestler can do as many moonsaults or innovative suplexes as they want but if they can't link it all together and tell a story or work the crowd and have sufficient charisma to interest a crowd, then it means nothing!

I would have thought you were aware of this (and maybe you are) given the choices you've made in both top 3s! All of the guys you've picked were able to tell a story in a match, work the crowd and cut a good promo!
    Because neither of them can wrestle to save there lives.

That's complete rubbish in my opinion. Cena and Batista have both been involved in numerous good matches during their career and it's no co-incedence either. Both guys have a reasonable moveset and are very good at telling a story in a match and working the crowd. Both have exceptional pressence and huge charisma (Cena is particularly charismatic) and could easily warant a place in people's current top 3s. They ain't top stars for nothing!

• Advertisement

That's complete rubbish in my opinion. Cena and Batista have both been involved in numerous good matches during their career and it's no co-incedence either. Both guys have a reasonable moveset and are very good at telling a story in a match and working the crowd. Both have exceptional pressence and huge charisma (Cena is particularly charismatic) and could easily warant a place in people's current top 3s. They ain't top stars for nothing!

They are still terrible mat wrestlers.

dlofnep wrote: »
    They are still terrible mat wrestlers.

Batista isn't great technically, but Cena is quite good.

That "work on the mic an all" is as important (if not more important) a wrestling ability as technical wrestling skills. A wrestler can do as many moonsaults or innovative suplexes as they want but if they can't link it all together and tell a story or work the crowd and have sufficient charisma to interest a crowd, then it means nothing!

I would have thought you were aware of this (and maybe you are) given the choices you've made in both top 3s! All of the guys you've picked were able to tell a story in a match, work the crowd and cut a good promo!

The guys that I picked are great mat wrestlers also where as Batista can't mat wrestle to save his life and Cena isn't as bad but still isn't good enough to be called a good mat wrestler

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Now:

1) Shawn Michaels
    2) Chris Jericho
    3) Edge

All Time:

1) Stone Cold Steve Austin
    2) Ric Flair
    3) Bret Hart

The guys that I picked are great mat wrestlers also where as Batista can't mat wrestle to save his life and Cena isn't as bad but still isn't good enough to be called a good mat wrestler

Kurt Angle wrestles like a face even when he's a heel. That's just as bad as not being technically skilled in my opinion.

Kurt Angle wrestles like a face even when he's a heel. That's just as bad as not being technically skilled in my opinion.

Kurt Angle is a fantastic mat wrestler and no one can disagree with that leaving out the heel/face buissnes of wrestling

Ok going by pure wrestling skill IMO:

Today:
    Edge
    Cena
    Angle

All time:
    HHH(2001 over anything else)
    Angle
    Benoit

Special mention has to be made for RVD, there was never a dull moment with that mans involvement in a match.

comic book guy

If you are going to go by wrestling skill alone then why do you have Edge ahead of Kurt Angle. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Kurt is a machine.

DenMan wrote: »
    comic book guy

If you are going to go by wrestling skill alone then why do you have Edge ahead of Kurt Angle. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Kurt is a machine.

Ok first off that i dont have those names in proper order.
    And also its just my opinion. I dont think kurt is a machine as you put it, he isnt as good as he once was, in saying that, he still is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

All-time:

Jumbo Tsuruta
    Kenta Kobashi
    Ric Flair

Today:

Bryan Danielson
    Naomichi Marufuji
    Randy Orton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

All Time :)
    1. Ric Flair
    2. Kenta Kobashi
    3. C.B ( Don't think man deserves his full name to be acknowlegded but he was great technically)

Nowadays :(
    1. Samoa Joe
    2. Chris Jericho
    3. Randy Orton

I agree with that statement 100%! When Angle had that program with Cena a few years back where Angle was heel, he was getting cheered as a face and people were booing the sh*t out of Cena. This was the start of the hate-Cena culture and the primary reason for this was that Angle wrestled the matches as a face with big comebacks and fast-paced series of high impact moves. I still think that overall, Angle is a very good worker and that his skills in other areas make up for this weakness.
    OrtonViper wrote:
    Kurt Angle is a fantastic mat wrestler and no one can disagree with that leaving out the heel/face buissnes of wrestling

This is getting so frustrating. The "heel/face business of wrestling" is quite possibly the most important aspect of wrestling. It's what makes the entertainment part of sports entertainment. Essentially, it's what makes people care about the results of matches and allows the wrestlers to tell a story in a match.

Mat wrestling is only a part of the big picture of pro wrestling - if you want to see great mat wrestling, I suggest looking at amatuer wrestling from the olympics - it's mat wrestling and mat wrestling only - doesn't have any of the other aspects that you don't want to talk about!:rolleyes:

If I wanted to find out who the best heel/face and who was the best entertainer, I would of asked that but thats not what I asked people.Yes it is an integral part of the buissnes but thats not what I asked

If I wanted to find out who the best heel/face and who was the best entertainer, I would of asked that but thats not what I asked people.Yes it is an integral part of the buissnes but thats not what I asked

Your thread is entitled "best wrestler", the question you asked was who is the best wrestler. All of the areas I mentioned are integral parts to being a good wrestler - Well, pro wrestler anyway - afterall, this is the pro wrestling forum!

Ok ill ask....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58443326#post58443326

Ortonviper, what do you constitute as being a good wrestler?

• Advertisement

Your thread is entitled "best wrestler", the question you asked was who is the best wrestler. All of the areas I mentioned are integral parts to being a good wrestler - Well, pro wrestler anyway - afterall, this is the pro wrestling forum!

That's not wrestling, that's entertaining and has nothing to do with the technical aspects of "wrestling".

Has no one noticed that there has hardly been any sort of the wrestling you have been describing on wwe in the last 3/4 years.

With the exception of a handful of matches.

Has no one noticed that there has hardly been any sort of the wrestling you have been describing on wwe in the last 3/4 years.

With the exception of a handful of matches.

Which is why it's notoriously awful.

That's not wrestling, that's entertaining and has nothing to do with the technical aspects of "wrestling".

Yes it does. I'll throw in a perfect example: Josh Barnett. Technically he's very very good. He knows a ton of convincing looking moves and holds and he can switch between them really well. But on the face/heel thing he's clueless. He doesn't know how to pace a match at all. When he's being lead along by a good wrestler he looks great but when he's the one in control it falls apart horribly

I wouldn't call Josh Barnett a great wrestler because of that. There's got to be some sort of entertainment in the story of the match, otherwise it's just an exhibition of moves

Of course it does! Without pyschology, pro wrestling means nothing! It takes a huge amount of talent for a wrestler do their offense in way that tells a story. A top amateur wrestler could get into a WWE ring and execute 10 technically perfect suplexes in a row on a guy. What would that achieve? Nothing!
    Fozzy wrote:
    Yes it does. I'll throw in a perfect example: Josh Barnett. Technically he's very very good. He knows a ton of convincing looking moves and holds and he can switch between them really well. But on the face/heel thing he's clueless. He doesn't know how to pace a match at all. When he's being lead along by a good wrestler he looks great but when he's the one in control it falls apart horribly

I wouldn't call Josh Barnett a great wrestler because of that. There's got to be some sort of entertainment in the story of the match, otherwise it's just an exhibition of moves

Perfect example dude, says it all, i have nothing to add to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

NOW
    1. Shelton Benjamin
    2. HBK
    3. Matt Hardy

ALL-TIME
    1. Bret Hart
    2. Randy Savage
    3. Buddy Rogers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

and you have randy orton in your top 3, oh the irony :rolleyes:

when orton drags people like umaga and bobby lashley to 4 star+ matches and gets a decent match out of khali you can then put orton on cenas level wrestling wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fozzy wrote: »
    All-time:

Jumbo Tsuruta
    Kenta Kobashi
    Ric Flair

Today:

Bryan Danielson
    Naomichi Marufuji
    Randy Orton

Post more often for the love of god Fozzy.

Mine would be

EVER.
    1. Flair
    2. Kobashi
    3. Misawa

NOW

1. Danielson
    2. Marufuji
    3. Tie between Tanahashi amd Shingo Takagi

Honourable mention to El Generico.

Oh and the people mentioning Kurt Angle in either list made me puke a little in my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

rossie1977 wrote: »
    and you have randy orton in your top 3, oh the irony :rolleyes:

when orton drags people like umaga and bobby lashley to 4 star+ matches and gets a decent match out of khali you can then put orton on cenas level wrestling wise

Fair point but Umaga is no carry job, hes more than capable of having four star matches with anybody half decent.

I haven't seen much from Cena lately that I've liked. In 2007 he was great but he hasn't been nearly as good since from what I've seen. It's not like people are raving about any of his recent matches like they did about his matches with Michaels, Orton and others where they were expected to be bad

I have a ton of people who I could put on my list but I put Orton in there just so I wouldn't totally alienate most posters :pac: I haven't seen anything amazing from him lately but when I hear his music hit I have to admit that I get excited about seeing him. I think that he's the only WWE guy who I look forward to seeing at the moment

Yeah Randy didn't even have to wrestle last Monday Night.

I miss Bobby Lashley.

Wonder will the WWE try and take Joe away from TNA?

*pictures in mind an awesome feud between the Undertaker and a heel Samoa Joe*

I miss Bobby Lashley.

Why miss black lesnar?
    Wonder will the WWE try and take Joe away from TNA?

*pictures in mind an awesome feud between the Undertaker and a heel Samoa Joe*

Even if they made a crazy offer i cant see joe leaving his high position in TNA to become mid to high card in WWE

Advertisement