Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Forum v Soccer forum Sunday 18th Jan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Anyway, can we confirm this WONT be called off tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

One of my mates plays Hockey for UCD firsts, formerly Corninthians, I have been told this is a high level?

And Girly is not an adjective I would associate with it. At all.

Depends what team he was playing for. i.e. firsts, seconds, thirds etc.

EDIT: Just saw you said firsts. Firsts is usually a high level, UCD are a very poor side though. Still a high enough level. Championship if I were to make a football comparison...
    Anyway, can we confirm this WONT be called off tomorrow?

It won't be called off by me anyway, I'll be there regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Team Instructions:

Defending

I want our back line to hold 5 yards outside the box (assuming we play offside throughout). I want the whole line talking to each other to make sure the line is kept and that nobody gets left in playing people onside.
    The full backs are to tuck in tight to the centre backs so the only space available (if there is any space) is down the flanks, not through the middle.

In front of that our centre midfielders should try and break up their play and again the 2 wingers should tuck in tight to the centre midfielders. Ideally I would like the midfield to try and keep that line and make it very hard for our opponents to play through us.

Upfront - One forward will stay as far up as possible and one will drop to help out in the centre.

Reason:

We have a big team (back 4), if we force them out wide it forces them to cross the ball which we should be able to deal with comfortably.
    It looks like it will be windy forcing both teams to play short passing football. If we defend as outlined above it will be very hard for them to break us down.

Attacking/in possession
    When we have the ball I want the full backs busting a gut to get up the line to provide width and support to the midfield and forwards. Our starting full backs are full of running and can pick a pass.

The centre backs are not to join up with the play – they are to sit at all time and when they get possession I want them looking to play it to the full backs/wingers or forwards. I don’t want the ball fed into the midfield. I also want them to play the ball quickly – allowing for the receiver of the pass to have that couple of seconds extra on the ball.

When we’re attacking down the right flank the right winger is to hog the touch line and the left winger is to tuck close to the midfield/forwards and vice versa when we’re attacking down the left flank.

Steve is going to be the sitting midfielder backing up the play; I fully expect our full backs to be bombing up ahead of him when we’re attacking. Steve can pick excellent passes and is very strong on the ball. My plan is that he won’t venture to far up the field – no more than 10 – 20 yards inside the opponents half.

Donal if you can be the guy making the runs from midfield and also taking hold of that midfield when we’ve got good possession.

If you’re under pressure play the ball long into the forwards. Both Sam and I are reasonable at holding up the play, so if the ball is played to us we will hold it up a high % of the time.

Reason:

The majority of goals we’ve conceded in the last 2 games have come from people trying to play it out of defence; I want to cut this out. We’ve conceded 15 in 2 games don’t forget trying to play it from all angles. If we’re gift wrapping goals we make it very hard for ourselves. 3 of the 4 goals we’ve scored in those 2 games have come from the ball been played quickly to the forwards, giving them a little more time to try and do something.

I want us to play the ball in their half – I want us looking to hit the wingers/full backs and attackers quickly and want people up supporting. If we do this we can play the ball in their half and this is where I want our midfielders to take hold of possession and play it around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

once the opposition dont get wind of our team tactics, the element of surprise should be a major factor for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Played a full 90 mins today in cup match. Worst conditions ever. Could not actually see for 10 mins in first half. Pitch was cut up so bad it was unreal. Convinced the ref only played on to get his pay.

At least an astro pitch should be ten times better tomorrow.

• Advertisement

semibluff wrote: »
    once the opposition dont get wind of our team tactics, the element of surprise should be a major factor for us!

Just to add that semibluff is the key to our team - I hope the soccer forum don't get wind of that :p

lol

Can anyone with spare red jerseys please bring them tomorrow
    Cheers

are mouldy boots ok?
    and are shin guards mandatory? (i presume not)

are mouldy boots ok?
    and are shin guards mandatory? (i presume not)

Yes - but i'd recommend astros,

No - but i'd recommend them

• Advertisement

I'm bringing moulded boots to wear. But I'm gonna bring astro's aswell just incase.

And I'm wearing shinpads :)

Also lads can anyone who is able to bring a decent ball do so?
    May as well have as many as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I hope everybody is up and mentally preparing for this. Still very windy out there, thankfully no rain... yet.

shoutman wrote: »
    I hope everybody is up and mentally preparing for this. Still very windy out there, thankfully no rain... yet.

Indeed.

Weather doesn't look too bad atm but it could always get ****ty. You lads heading for pints after as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just had a champions brekkie (full fry) now doing some stretches (reaching for remote control)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Its pissing down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Ye, I havent drank in i dont know how long but somehow ended up on the beer in coppers last night and havent slept but ye been focussing on the game since at least 10 this morning so will be fully prepared by the time keith takes us for the warm up

Trippie wrote: »
    Ye, I havent drank in i dont know how long but somehow ended up on the beer in coppers last night and havent slept but ye been focussing on the game since at least 10 this morning so will be fully prepared by the time keith takes us for the warm up

Tut Tut Gordon

Tut Tut Gordon

Dont worry fran I'll still run all day and get myself into the box as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

normally I love it when the rain is hammering down, but when you can't slide tackle it seems a bit of a waste.

We picked the right day for it anyway ;)

• Advertisement

Dont worry fran I'll still run all day and get myself into the box as much as possible

Ok just make sure you are running in the right direction

Iago wrote: »
    normally I love it when the rain is hammering down, but when you can't slide tackle it seems a bit of a waste.

We picked the right day for it anyway ;)

Slide tackles are allowed are they not?

slide tackles on astro aint nice.... skint knees are no fun at all.

And yea its pissing rain here now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Its actually quite nice where I am. Is Fallon playing?
    Anyone driving over from the Southside?

[x] Things to keep to yourself
    [ ] Things to tell your team mates

[x] Things to keep to yourself
    [ ] Things to tell your team mates

as if you had a quiet night in yourself donal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Slide tackles are allowed are they not?

they're incredibly dangerous for both parties on astro turf. I thought they weren't going to be allowed, generally they're not in astro games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Iago wrote: »
    they're incredibly dangerous for both parties on astro turf.

we've been through this before and they're really not.

Disaster, I've just been called into work for the afternoon so won't be able to make this. What's worse is that I was giving Oscar a lift out so it sucks as much for him, anychance Keith would spin around by him in swords and bring him out?

Sorry again lads but really nothing I could do.

• Advertisement

Disaster, I've just been called into work for the afternoon so won't be able to make this. What's worse is that I was giving Oscar a lift out so it sucks as much for him, anychance Keith would spin around by him in swords and bring him out?

Sorry again lads but really nothing I could do.

Yeah, PM me his number and I'll give him a call

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement