Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Forum v Soccer forum Sunday 18th Jan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You guys gave us far to much space in midfield to play the ball to our forwards. I have to say i was impressed with a number of players in our team

Keith/Neill played very well and held the defence together. Steve & Donal played excellent in the centre and spread some good balls out to myself and Sam on the wing. Dara had his shooting boots on and Ricky also played v well.
    Ah fcuk it ye all played well:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

jbravado wrote: »
    Very enjoyable game (then again usually is when your scoring and winning).

Obviously Donal and Steven were key to us having a solid base to build on. Fran had an incredible game and was involved in the bulk of our goals. With Hj and Chopper up front and that little bit of extra quality we had today we could certainly give the lane a much more competitive game.Kev was a class act at lb and great to play in front off. Would really like another stab at Jeffs team........we have the makings of a semi ok team imo.

more than a semi ok team IMO. Was very impressed with you lads as a team and individually. Played us off the park and the scoreline didn't flatter you at all. Some great players especially in the middle and up front(hard to judge your defenders since they had so little to do - but what they had to do they did superbly).

Anyway well played lads, great performance

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Congrats to the poker boys on what sounds like a deserved win. Infractions are currently being dished out to all those who sullied the good name of the soccer forum.

Hopefully see yis in Feb ;)

Frisbee I have your bag in my car.

Unfortunately I am framing your jersey as a tribute to our magnificent victory so you can have the rest of the stuff whenever you like:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Frisbee I have your bag in my car.

Unfortunately I am framing your jersey as a tribute to our magnificent victory so you can have the rest of the stuff whenever you like:D:D

Awesome man. Thanks a lot.
    Eh well would you mind hanging onto it till the next game?
    Won't have need to any of it till then :P

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Awesome man. Thanks a lot.
    Eh well would you mind hanging onto it till the next game?
    Won't have need to any of it till then :P

No hassles. Consider it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Congrats to the poker boys on what sounds like a deserved win. Infractions are currently being dished out to all those who sullied the good name of the soccer forum.

Hopefully see yis in Feb ;)

Could you approve my posting in soccer so i can gloat pleaesse :p

No hassles. Consider it safe.

Many thanks my man

Looking forward to the next game anyway lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

Wp lads, nice to get a good win! we played some good football in spells throughout. thought id get off the mark with the left foot strike, but the post got in the way!
    Some very good performance, with no1 playing bad at all. Really enjoyed playing in the middle with Steve and the defence were rock solid. two wingers did a fare of terrifying and we showed alot of class upfront too. All in all well done all. cheers for any effort went in our end organising it.

by the looks of it earlier, theresa will be bananas drunk by this stage!

Lads, as his fellow centre half, I would genuinely like to say thank you to Careca. He had a super game and it was a joy to play centre half with him. We'd never played together before and I think we found our rhythm in about 15 seconds.

If I am available for the next one Neil I certainly hope you'll be there too. Was a joy to play alongside you.

As for the rest of the lads:

Bohsman: Put in a great shift at left back and up front. No end of running and always moved the ball quickly.
    Jbravado: Turned their players so often it was comical. Some of those lads will be having nightmares about you Sam.
    Theresalwaysone: Man of the match imo. (Anyone who knows Steve and I will know how much I hate saying that) Absolutely ran the show with Donal, complimented each other perfectly.
    Semibluff: Brilliant in both directions. Top class all round game. Pipped to my MoTM award by Steve by a whisker (mostly due to his pass to HJ for that goal off the post). A real game changer in midfield.
    Kweeveen: Super game Kev. Never looked under any pressure in the game. Always found a simple ball. Great guy to have in defence with you.
    Trippie: Never seen you run that much man. Very unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. Played really well wide and up front.
    Jackyback: Couldn't believe how well you played today man. That goal was superb. You and Tonyc linked brilliantly in particular.
    Roundtower: First period you really shone Dave. Covered every inch of that line forward and back. Tiredness looked like it caught ya closer to the end but you were solid as a rock. Always enjoy playing with you.
    HJ: Came from his sickbed against doctors orders and brought the shooting boots. Excellent ball retention and brillant passing rewarded with a well deserved hat-trick. Best goal of the game went to you mate. Can't wait to see you healthy and shooting.
    Chopper: Brilliant in all areas Ricky. Brought people into the game well and gave their backs a horrid time. Hat-trick hero could've come quicker if you hadn't ballooned that peno but well done all the same.
    Tonyc: Incredible work rate. Great ball control and good range of passing. Always available in space to help the midfield. You and Fran linked really well (especially for your goal where Fran "dummied" it:rolleyes:)
    Troy: Played in his socks and had the funniest fall of the game that arguably cost us a goal as I was still laughing when they were running at us. With a pair of runners on and when you could feel your feet you'd be a great addition to the side mate.
    Breifne: Solid as a rock. Not a whole heap to do to be fair but made a great save when it was still 0-0 and controlled your box very well. Always makes a defenders life easier when you can really trust your keeper.

Cheers to Ricky and Darragh for organising it and to Laura and the Soccer lads for the game. Looking forward to the next one. Just on your side lads: Your 14 and 13 were your best players by miles. 14 made so many covering tackles it was ridiculous. Saved you at least 5 times. I'm a bit bemused though Neil. What happened to waltzing through the middle of our defence????:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Cheers to Ricky and Darragh for organising it and to Laura and the Soccer lads for the game. Looking forward to the next one. Just on your side lads: Your 14 and 13 were your best players by miles. 14 made so many covering tackles it was ridiculous. Saved you at least 5 times. I'm a bit bemused though Neil. What happened to waltzing through the middle of our defence????:pac::pac:

Can't remember who our 14 was, where was he playing/looked like?

Frisbee wrote: »
    Can't remember who our 14 was, where was he playing/looked like?

Right full back. Very fast and good feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

14 was your starting right back-terrific player. Owned my soul in the first period-felt I got a handle on how to attack him as the game went on.He was a little wasted at right back to be honest as was pretty ferocious in the tackle and could handle the ball Ok.

Oh yeah, Colly, he was our best player by a mile. Great player with a great engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Must have been Colly. He was great, saved my bacon a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

To be honest while the game was fun to be part of i really didnt enjoy it that much, when i nutmegged the guy marking me with the back heel and then took off towards the goal my calf seized up and was acting up for the entire game so i couldnt really run around like the headless chicken that I normally am.

I was quite confused at right mid as well as the last game i played a right back i was picking up their right mid the entire time so wasnt sure if i should of gone with him or taken an attacking position waiting for the counter attack.

While i dont tinhk i played anywhere near as good as i should have it still was only my third ever playing a proper match so hopefully with more games i should feel a bit more comfortable on the field with my first touch and positional sense

but anyway thanks Ricky for the game time and i would be up for playing again if there is a chance

Galvasean wrote: »
    Must have been Colly. He was great, saved my bacon a few times.

was actually shocked how he got over from right back to tackle me when steaming down the right flank. really fast and extremely capable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Sup Homies,

Great game today, I think we all played quite well in fairness, and I know everyone is saying it but its true. We played well. Nh all.

Since everyone is doing it I feel obliged to give my crappy excuse for analysis. I think I'll do it a little differently though. The Strengths and Weaknesses as I see it no offence intended to anyone.

Breifne:
    First time playing with you. tbh, I didnt even know you played ball. You were very dependable today which is very important for a back line and thus a team as a whole.

Strenth: Great under high balls, Owns his box. Solid and very dependable.
    Weakness: I wonder how you would do if people start actually shooting at you. Im not so sure you will deal well with balls across you as opposed to above you.

Dave:
    Second time playing with you and you've improved.

Strength: Really not afraid to get stuck in. Marks well as a FB.
    Weakness: Fitness is a big one. Easy to improve though.

Keith:
    Know you all too well. Clever player. Very good game today, I was genuinely impressed. gg

Strength: Great Communicator. Can pass well when required, Good in the air.
    Weakness: First touch a bit sloppy. Dont deal too well with awkward balls. Pace.

Neil:

Cant emphasize how good I thought you were. I think we missed you an awful lot the last time against Grovenor. Very very solid Centre half with skilllz.

Strength: Very strong in the air and on the ball. Clever passer out of the back line which is vitaly important to any team.
    Weakness: Pace is all I can think of.

Kweeveen:
    Played with you a fair bit. Still got that beaut of a left peg.

Strength: Unbelievably Sweet left foot. Very calm on the ball and under pressure. Looks for the easy ball first and foremost.
    Weakness: Im not sure if you are a LB at heart, positionally caught sometimes. Fitness to an extent to.

Fran teh durty scouser:
    This was a very good performance from you. You played very well imo, an unsung hero tbh. Did donkeys work down the right. Fitness worries tho.

Strength: When you have the ball at your feet you are very good. Good passer. Good vision.
    Weakness: Durty pool fan. Tunnel Vision at times. Head down, gogogogogo. When you look up you are at your most effective (see above re passing and good vision). Fitness.

Theresa:
    Tis I.

Strengths: I think I pass the ball well.
    Weaknesses: Short and Stumpy, cant compete in the air really. I think I need to be tighter quicker. Left peg is dire which is important for a midfielder. Fitness too.

Donal:
    First time playing beside you. tbh made it so much easier for me. Full of running and always there for the out ball.

Strengths: Very strong on/off the ball. Great in the air. When running with the ball Id say dispossessing you is a challenge.
    Weakness: First touch is sometimes wayward. Thats the only real one I can think of anyway.

Sam:
    ffs, mess imo. That aside, have extensive gametime with you and am still sure if I was to mark you even with that experience, id get roasted.

Strength: Dribbling is top notch. Dizzying. Quick, good balance and can strike a ball very well for both crosses and shots.
    Weakness: Fitness. Also, and I know I roared at you today about it a few times. Sometimes you overdo the dribbling, easy ball is sometimes a much better option.

Daragh:
    Play with you weekly. Below applies to those games too. Overall though, I enjoy having you on my team.

Strengths: very strong. Very hard to dispossess. Runs off the ball very well. makes it easy for me. Brings the wingers into play effectively.
    Weakness: Reluctance to shoot. Jesus man. put the foot through it. Sometimes guilty of not releasing the ball early.

Ricky:
    I think you and Daragh are the same person. What I wrote about him applies to you.

Strengths: Similar to Daragh. Great feet also. Great shooting (not penos tho obv)
    Weaknesses: Unlike Daragh, you dont run off the ball nearly as much. Also guilty of not releasing early enough,taking too many touches a lot.

Oscar:
    Havent played with you too much.

Strengths: Will give it everything. Solid. Can pick a pass when needed. Not afraid to tackle.
    Weaknesses: First touch sometimes. Fitness too. Positionally lost at times.

Tom:
    First time. very impressed.

Strength: Great on the ball. Quick. Decisive and Strong.
    Weakness. Tunnel vision too. Guilty of not looking for the easy one sometimes.

Ah Gordo:
    You're improving each game considerably. This being your best.

Strengths: Can Run. Will Run. Deceptively quick. Work horse.
    Weakness: Lack of "football" experience.

Dont all hate me now. Just my honest opinion.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Any thought of trying to get a boards league going? 8 teams from 8 forums, 2 groups of 4, winners playing for the title.

5starpool wrote: »
    Any thought of trying to get a boards league going? 8 teams from 8 forums, 2 groups of 4, winners playing for the title.

Yes once the GAA forum is excluded because no doubt those lads will be fit as fcuk

• Advertisement

It's a good idea on paper.
    But in practice the logistics of trying to organise something like this with a number of games a week would be very very hard.
    I'd be more than happy if you could though!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The fouls they'd give away for handball would make up for it though I'd say.

Edit @ Frisbee - Ya, I see the logistical problems of it, but it need not be over the space of a couple of weeks though. There would only be 7 games to organise though, so as long as there were 8 reliable teams and no set order once they organise when is best for all, it should be workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Breifne

Sounds like a great plan. Really enjoyed the game this evening. I don't see why you couldn't organise a slot at that pitch for two hours, and have each group of 4 play an hour game each every second week. That means you would have the groups finished in 6 weeks with the semi finals and final the following weeks. People would have 5 games if they reach the final, and you'd only be playing every second week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Leave it til around easter time, I'll be back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Des wrote: »
    which fella were you?

The cb head to toe in Liverpool gear that wasn't Dub13! A tournament would be a great idea, nightmare to organize but I'm sure we could do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Number 11, up front, small guy with Yellow hair? Who was he? His first touch was phenomenal imo. Id say he was quite a player when younger and fitter.

splutters....

small guy? yellow hair?? when younger?? and fitter???

You know size isn't everything and..... well apart from that you're mostly right :D

to be honest I thought I had a fairly poor game, comes back to what I was saying earlier if I'd been fitter then I could have influenced the game more and some of the wrong decisions I made regarding shots and passes wouldn't have happened. We were dealing with scraps up front, but could have done more with them.

btw: replying here as I'm currently banned from soccer for having a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the gaa forum are up for a friendly :), thread just started there.

as regards a tournament, rather than 8 teams, have 4. much easier to organise and could be run off in one day, in a few hours in fact. wesley in dundrum has 2 full pitches, can play games off together. maybe 40 mins games or something. everybody throws in 20quid to cover pitches and prizes.

gaa forum
    soccer forum
    poker forum

maybe even boardeaux if needed, but would weaken one or 2 other teams as some players would be pencilled in for other teams maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Really enjoyed the game yesterday considering thats my first time playing since last August! Have a few things to improve on but will expect those to come back with fitness (training starts soon...:()

Was great to put faces to names - spent yesterday evening trying to put real world names to names here :pac:

Looking forward to the next game

Wp all gg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Congrats lads well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Trippie wrote: »
    Yes once the GAA forum is excluded because no doubt those lads will be fit as fcuk

it's true, any time I play a mess game with players I don't know I always expect anyone playing in a GAA jersey to be a better soccer player than someone in a soccer jersey. I think it's because there are lots of lazy soccer fans but anyone involved or interested in GAA probably plays or played it at some level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement