Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Forum v Soccer forum Sunday 18th Jan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ok lads not great news.
    Rang up to book it there and the girl said there's Super LEague rostered all that day on the pitch.
    However it might not be on as Super League is only usually played when the students are in term and UCD aren't back then. She didn't know for definite but I have to ring up after 5 tomorrow and the girl who organises the pitches will be there and she can give me a definitive answer.

I'm back in UCD on the 19th so the Super League could well go ahead, it's 50:50 really.

If I can't get that pitch would you have any objections to playing on this?
    It's not synthetic grass now, it's a hockey astro.
    I know from reading the threads from the previous matches on the Poker Forum that some people seem terrified of playing on this.
    So would anyone mind playing on this instead if we can't get the other one?

(Personally I have no problem playing on the hockey astro. Play on them three times a week myself and alot of the fear directed towards them is completely unfounded. But to each his own.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I can definetly play this if numbers are short? I meant to sign up for the previous games but the dates didn't suit. I played before in Waterford Floodlit Soccer League for 4 years at centre half/right full but am open to playing where required!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

For some reason I thought it was on this Sunday. I'll play if there is still room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I think the pitch the last few games were on were like the hockey pitch. It's not terrible but really makes you reluctant to slide tackle, some might consider this a good thing...

Obviously I think everyone would prefere grass type surface but playing on a different type of surface wouldn't stop me from playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Go with the hockey pitch if you cant get the main pitch, if a few people want to drop out over it therell be people willing to step in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

"Fixtures will resume in the New year on the 17th/18th January."

-superleague website

http://beamsystems.ie/ucdsuper/

It looks like it will be booked out for that day.

Frisbee, there is a sweet sythetic grass pitch in Templeogue Uniteds grounds if you can book that? Its just off the M50 behind the Spawell? If that fails, Im sure all the grass pitches in any area will be reopened that weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭adzer86

why are these games organised so far over the southside? Joke if you ask me. The last one was stillorgan if im not mistaken. More central would be preferable

adzer86 wrote: »
    why are these games organised so far over the southside? Joke if you ask me. The last one was stillorgan if im not mistaken. More central would be preferable

Right well you organise the pitch then

adzer86 wrote: »

You organise one for you and the people who want to play on the northside so.
    I love the way people who are too lazy to organise anything complain when whatever is organised doesnt suit them. ffs, get off your arse and organise it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Dont mind him, hes just upset because he lives on the Northside (understandable really)

• Advertisement

Ive no problem with the games being on the southside as long as theres easy access to public transport. UCD is fine, a 30min walk past Stillorgan LUAS isnt.

Lads I picked UCD as alot of people know where it is, there is a large range of buses that run to it from many directions. And if your in the area and not quite sure where it is you can:

(A) Ask someone where it is and they will probably be able to tell you. Whereas stopping someone walking their dog and asking them where a pitch is probably won't be as likely to be successful.

(B) I get a student discount off the price of the pitch and it's a quality pitch.

(C) If your in the area and can't find it you can just keep heading towards the watertower

bohsman wrote: »
    Ive no problem with the games being on the southside as long as theres easy access to public transport. UCD is fine, a 30min walk past Stillorgan LUAS isnt.

The point is Oscar, and not to sound like a complete prick, its completely irrelevant whether or not you, or anyone, have a problem with it. If it doesnt suit you, dont play or organise a game that does suit you, closer to your location. Whinging about it wont help anything since the majority of those showing the greatest interest find it easier to have on the southside.

I know you dont whinge or whatever, well not that much, but its a general point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

The place we played in last time was less than a ten minute walk from the Luas stop

The point is Oscar, and not to sound like a complete prick, its completely irrelevant whether or not you, or anyone, have a problem with it. If it doesnt suit you, dont play or organise a game that does suit you, closer to your location. Whinging about it wont help anything since the majority of those showing the greatest interest find it easier to have on the southside.

I know you dont whinge or whatever, well not that much, but its a general point.

Yea, absolutely. If its moved to the Spawell I wont play or complain about it, you should just realise that you will lose players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

If it's in spawell I can give you a lift Oscar (you still in Santry yea?) I'd be going M50 anyway so its not too out of my way.

bohsman wrote: »
    Yea, absolutely. If its moved to the Spawell I wont play or complain about it, you should just realise that you will lose players.

That's why I'm not inclined to move it to Spawell or the synthetic grass pitch Des said he could get.
    I'm trying my best to keep it in UCD.
    But if adzer86 or HectorJelly want to arrange a pitch on the Northside they're more than welcome to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I can pick 3/4 up from Sandyford Luas.

Thats if I am in of course. See post previous page ;)

Ok lads I'll ring up tomorrow evening when the woman who organises the Super League is there.
    However she's not in till 5 and I'm in work at five so I won't be able to let you know until after ten when I finish work.
    So is everyone happy enough to go with the hockey pitch if I can't get the synthetic grass pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Ye thats grand, as we said you organise it and we'll be there

• Advertisement

Right not great news.
    The synthetic grass pitch is booked up.
    Also the Hockey surface pitch is only available for one hour, from 3-4. However I couldn't book it as you have to book it in person so I'll get over to UCD tomorrow morning to do so.
    Is this ok with everyone?

Seems ok to me anyway but can I suggest a meeting time of 2:30 at the latest to get us set to go?

Seems ok to me anyway but can I suggest a meeting time of 2:30 at the latest to get us set to go?

I was gonna do another post after i had 100% got the pitch and a bit nearer the time but I was going to say I want everyone's money in my hand by 2.30 that day so I could pay for the pitch, i know this sounds stingy as it's only a euro or two each, but that all adds up to money out of my pocket.

Absolutely man, making a 2:30 deadline for money or you don't pay seems fair enough.

Ok lads.
    Was down in UCD there and have provisionally booked the hockey pitch from 2-4 on the 18th.

I didn't pay for it though as there is one drawback, we'd have to use hockey goals instead of 11-a-side football goals.

How does this sit with everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

For those that live in the nortside, i could probably get a pitch in Ballymun, with goalposts and nets.

By pitch, i mean a piece of grass
    By goalposts, i mean a pile of jumpers
    By nets, i mean a couple of kids that will chase the ball

Maybe thats why the games are played on the southside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Flushdraw wrote: »
    For those that live in the nortside, i could probably get a pitch in Ballymun, with goalposts and nets.

By pitch, i mean a piece of grass
    By goalposts, i mean a pile of jumpers
    By nets, i mean a couple of kids that will chase the ball

Maybe thats why the games are played on the southside!

Ah the good old days when it was a real game:D

I would prefer proper goals Frisbee but not bothered either way, thanks for sorting.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Ok lads.
    Was down in UCD there and have provisionally booked the hockey pitch from 2-4 on the 18th.

I didn't pay for it though as there is one drawback, we'd have to use hockey goals instead of 11-a-side football goals.

How does this sit with everyone?

Can we not book Raphaela's? We've used that pitch before and it seems handy enough for most people to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Can we not book Raphaela's? We've used that pitch before and it seems handy enough for most people to get to.

I think we'd lose a lot by only having hockey goals.
    I think trying to book Raphaela's would be a good idea. It's a decent pitch for what it is......

• Advertisement

I think we'd lose a lot by only having hockey goals.
    I think trying to book Raphaela's would be a good idea. It's a decent pitch for what it is......

I just sent Jeff and Lloyd a PM about it. I found the school's website but I dunno how they go about booking these things. Trippie just told me he text Jeff too so hopefully we'll have a result soon enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement