Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An irish meal

• 31-12-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭

Guys, I have to cook an 'Irish' dish to bring to a party where everyone brings food native to their country. Can anyone think of an easy to cook irish dish? Bear in mind I am living in buenos aires where I don't have much access to much lamb or pork but beef and chicken are widely available, especially beef!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Make a beef stew??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Here's my recipe for shepherd's pie although it's made with beef!!
    1lb of lean minced beef
    2 medium carrots, diced
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 pint of hot water
    2 red Oxo cubes (or any beef stock cubes)
    A teaspoon of tomato puree
    A dessertspoon of flour - any kind
    A dash of Worcestershire Sauce if you have it
    A pinch of mixed herbs
    Fry the onion and carrot in a little oil over a low heat until they start to soften. Turn up the heat and add the minced beef, fry until browned. Sprinkle on the flour and stir well over a low heat for a minute. Pour on the stock made with the Oxo cubes and hot water and stir well. Add the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and herbs then season with salt and black pepper (not too much salt!). Stir well and add a little more hot water if it looks too thick. Simmer for around 30 minutes.
    Place in an oven-proof dish and cover with potatoes mashed with real butter and milk until light and fluffy, and drag a fork across the top to rough it up. Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees, gas mark 5.
    For a change you can cover it with new potatoes sliced thickly and boiled until tender. Place them overlapping on top of the meat sauce and brush with oil. Yum!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Beef Stew - or casserole if you cook it in the oven:

1lb of rib steak, cubed, or steak pieces
    2 carrots, sliced or diced
    2 medium onions, diced
    2 sticks of celery, diced
    You can also add turnip if you like
    A heaped dessertspoon of flour
    2 red Oxo cubes or any beef stock cubes
    A good pinch of mixed herbs or some fresh parsley and thyme
    A tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
    Salt and black pepper
    A squirt of tomato puree
    A handful of barley
    Hot Water
    Put steak and vegetables into a pot, sprinkle flour on and crumble Oxo cubes in. Stir well. Add enough hot (not boiling) water to cover, and stir. Add all the other ingredients and stir well, then bring to the boil and simmer for 2 hours.

You can also do this in a covered casserole dish in the oven at 180C for 2 hours (leave out the barley and celery) and it tastes quite different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Just bring a barrow load of Guinness :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

Colcannon, Irish stew, bacon and cabbage,?

or you could just bring some brown bread and a pint of the black stuff !:D

Laura

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Thanks for the advice guys. In the end I was told to bring something that you could eat with your hands so I just breaded a load of chicken wings and legs and brought them! Not exactly irish but it didn't matter in the end. I have a nice recipe I created for a beef stew actually although I don't consider beef stew to be all that of an Irish meal! Anyway ty for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd say Black Pudding or Brown Soda Bread would fit the bill for the future, but making black pudding would be a challenge.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A spud out of the hand. Sprinkle of salt. A little butter if you're feeling adventurous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Rasher sandwiches would be an obvious one. And mugs of tae!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Dublin Coddle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Pigs Trotters:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

dont forget a nice bowl of irish spuds ! boiled !

Advertisement