Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum vs. Poker Forum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

mayordenis wrote: »
    there's no fear of this being called is there?

I don't plan to.
    It's up to the masses though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Frisbee wrote: »
    I don't plan to.
    It's up to the masses though

I'll be there in short shorts and a belly top anyway as long as we get the A-ok

I'll be there in short shorts and a belly top anyway as long as we get the A-ok

Eh.... it's off.
    But if you hear it went ahead it's a lie. Just someone messing with ya :pac:

Eh.... it's off.
    But if you hear it went ahead it's a lie. Just someone messing with ya :pac:

I'd edit the highlighted bit. Villain 77 might think you were being serious and tell the golf forum team not to show up:pac:

I'd edit the highlighted bit. Villain 77 might think you were being serious and tell the golf forum team not to show up:pac:

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

kayroo what the f''''ks ur problem

Lads we can't get that kit for tomo.
    Can everyone bring a white t-shirt?

villains77 wrote: »
    kayroo what the f''''ks ur problem

I've a bit of a toothache at the mo but I'm seeing the dentist tuesday so I'll be grand then, thanks for asking.

Seriously though, it was just a joke. Take it easy.

Lads KaG has graciously offered us some green jerseys he has.
    So can whoever reads bring a green t-shirt aswell!

Cheers :D

• Advertisement

I've a bit of a toothache at the mo
    ouch know the feeling.

I take it back.
    We have the blue jerseys now. :D

no problem see you all tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

This weather sucks the big one. Really really hope it clears up. If it's still raining Laura will you cry off with your well known fear of water?

That's what I like to see... :pac::pac: If you say it enough irl it might actually permanently become his nickname from now on!

Anyone coming from around Blackrock?

My lift might not be able to make it so I'll have to get a bus/taxi otherwise. What bus would I get does anyone know?

Anyone coming from around Blackrock?

My lift might not be able to make it so I'll have to get a bus/taxi otherwise. What bus would I get does anyone know?

I've no idea what bus you'd get from Blackrock man.
    You'd probably be better off cycling assuming you wouldn't get blown away.

EDIT: Maybe the 17 from UCD as far as Nutgrove?

• Advertisement

I've no idea what bus you'd get from Blackrock man.
    You'd probably be better off cycling assuming you wouldn't get blown away.

EDIT: Maybe the 17 from UCD as far as Nutgrove?

The 17 goes to Nutgrove? If that's the case im grand. Will get that bus from Blackrock.

The 17 goes to Nutgrove? If that's the case im grand. Will get that bus from Blackrock.

Yeah it stops across the road from Nutgrove.
    Do you know where the pitch is from there?

Yeah it stops across the road from Nutgrove.
    Do you know where the pitch is from there?

I am sure I'll find it ;) . I'll print the map anyway.

I am sure I'll find it ;) . I'll print the map anyway.

Yeah, if you can't figure out how to get there gimme a buzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Best of luck tomorrow Frisbee & co.

Looking forward to seeing the pics and a positve result of course :)

• Advertisement

Landed awkwardly on my knee earlier and it keeps locking now.
    Dunno how long I'll last tomo so we'll need all our subs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bottling it?:pac:

Best of luck to yous all.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Bottling it?:pac:

Best of luck to yous all.

Nope, I'll still be there.
    Just dunno if I'll last longer than one period or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Ok lads pitch is booked for Sunday.
    Earliest I could get it was 4 o'clock as there's and FAI coaching course going on.
    However the guy agreed to do us a deal so we're getting two hours for the price of one, so it's only costing 140euro.

Here's the website of Leicster Celtic, it's pretty good, they have a google maps and a directions tab depending on which direction your coming from so it shouldn't be hard to find for anyone.

http://www.leicesterceltic.ie/

I want everyone there by half three to sort the team and get paid up.
    You don't pay you don't play, simple as.

Let me know if you don't know how to get there from the directions given on their website.

Ahh my local pitch! its grand, sheltered by trees so the wind might not have a big a factor as some may think!
    Its not the widest pitch but its long enough. I'd definitely bring an extra ball(s) as balls may get kicked into a "local" estate and its a pain in the arse to try and get them back.

I didnt signalling my interest earlier as i have a rugby match but seen as that may be called off, if your very stuck for players give us a shout!

Anyway enjoy and hope the Soccer forum can emulate uniteds incredible performance last sunday and hammer the Pokers!

Lads after a few concerned texts/PM's I've rang the pitch and can confirm it is playable barring a snowstorm.

See you all at 3.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Not sure if I can make it out today to cheer yis on lads (will know by around 3). If I can't make it, do the Forum proud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Well the less said about that the better! Roll on Feb 22nd!!

Well the less said about that the better! Roll on Feb 22nd!!

What was the score?

Turnout good?

It was 4-2 to the poker forum with a third to go and we fell apart - mainly due to fitness and organisation , couldn't tell you the exact final score but it wasn't good! Everyone turned up I think, we had 4 subs anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

We won 10:2 woohoo!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

yay, poker.

:D

I'll do a write up on my views after dinner.

Anyone notice if there was a bag left behind?

Were pints had?

Ok.

They deserved to win. No doubt about that, but the margin was flattering in the end.
    Their first three goals were well worked.
    The penalty I gave away wasn't a penalty. I would compare it to the challenge Ashley Young made two weeks ago in the FA Cup. I went for the ball and got the faintest of touches on it and the man went down over my legs.
    Now I'm not complaining Des gave it, because I'm sure it looked like a penalty from where he was, but it was not a penalty.

We got back into it the the second third and scored two goals, this was definitely our best period. However things really went to **** in the third and final period.
    While dfx- played well and wasn't at fault for the first four goals, and can't say the same about all the rest.

Their 5th, 6th, 8th. and 10th. goals were all banged in at the near post from a very acute angle. I don't know how that happened but that's just poor positioning from dfx-.

Their 7th was a 25 yard scuffed shot that trickled in at the near post, once again no idea how this made it into the net.

Their 9th. goal was a sublime finish and there was nothing dfx- could do about it.

I'm not having a go at you here man, just saying it as I saw it so we can hopefully improve. You played well aside from these little mistakes and blocked some good shots.

So that's 5 out of ten goals that never should have made it into the net and the peno, which I apologise for.

We also has the ball cleared off the line from a corner when the game was at 4-2 which would have changed things around really.

It obviously stood them in good stead that they'd played together before.

Colly10 had a great game at RB and was definitely our best player, with Gary up front coming a close second.

I think our best formation from what I saw today would be:

dfx
    colly10
    BastardPrince
    Dub13
    Geoff
    SuprSi
    KaG
    janets
    Voltwad
    Frisbee
    Iago

Just my 0.02

Des wrote: »
    no.

think a few are heading to the woolshed soon ish if you fancy it?

The first part of your answer made me go :), knowing I hadn't missed out.

The second part though has made me go :mad: knowing I will miss out. Would love a sesh, but I have to be up for 7 tomorrow, and I can't face starting off a week with fcuk all sleep and a hangover.

Who's heading?

Oh, cheers for the write up Frisbee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Don't worry lads, I'll play next time and sort everything out :pac:

Seriously though fair play to all who played/organised/ref'd etc. hopefully there'll be more in the future.

:eek: Laura pulls no punches!

tribulus wrote: »
    Seriously though fair play to all who played/organised/ref'd etc. hopefully there'll be more in the future.

There will be
    Charlie wrote: »
    :eek: Laura pulls no punches!

I'm not gonna lie to protect people's feelings :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hard luck lads.

I'll try make it out next time.(if yous are taking players:pac:)

• Advertisement

Whether or not dfx should have saved any of the last 4 or not is immaterial - the amount of time their mids got on the ball in the last third was shockng, they were allowed too shoot from anywhere. Purely down to fitness and the heads going down imo...

Whether or not dfx should have saved any of the last 4 or not is immaterial - the amount of time their mids got on the ball in the last third was shockng, they were allowed too shoot from anywhere. Purely down to fitness and the heads going down imo...

Yeah that's true, the midfield stopped tracking alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

First period and last period felt like the Alamo. Two middle periods, we were well in the game and the turning point was the chance to make it 4-3 in the third period.

Last period we fell apart, no midfield pressure and they ran at us at will, through us, around us and it was a matter of time before their strikes went in.

I can't agree with some of the verdicts on the goals. The fifth was actually the goal of the night and symptomatic of what was to come in the final period. Simple ball through and simple finish off the post. All but one of the others were clinical finishes (with all the time in the world) except the one I tried to turn round the post and ending going in off both posts.

That they didn't score 10-13 in the final period was pure luck and some good fire-fighting defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

So when's the next one, Feb 15th? I'm going to try get work off now so I can make this.

Whether they were clinical finishes or not is irrelevant.
    They went in at the front post. That shouldn't happen

tribulus wrote: »
    So when's the next one, Feb 15th? I'm going to try get work off now so I can make this.

Feb 22nd I think.

Don't hold me to that though, cant confirm yet

• Advertisement

First goal was my fault I lost the ball cheaply up front, and went almost immediately to be subbed, I was pretty ****e throughout,
    I was definately better when I dropped back into the middle where I could get the ball down and move with it, but my touch troughout was muck.
    I felt almost ****in ashamed for playing that badly - I won't make excuses I didn't play close to the level that I'm capable of and there's no 2 ways about that.

Mayordenis 0.5/10 **** **** ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

There will be
    I'm not gonna lie to protect people's feelings :)

I think it's a little harsh to be that critical of one player, he did make a mistake or 2 but you could also look at it from the point of view that many of those shots should have got nowhere near him, there was at least 3 times where their attacker had to skin one of our players (just a direct run) to make those chances. Not much point in pointing fingers, they were the better side overall and deserved the win, the scorelines fairly irrelevant.

Found the first period very confusing, it was a bit disorganised with the picking up, like is he picking up him and ye find out he actually isn't, you'd be going to someones man and they'd be going to yours but it wasn't surprising as noone knew each other.
    Thought the second period was great and thought we'd push on to win it after that, it was probably the fitness that cost us in the 3rd. They had a few quick, handy forwards that caused trouble. The lad in the barca and milan jerseys caused trouble and it was a nightmare trying to keep the eye on the lad in the arsenal kit (think that ****er was actually looking for space to hide up front :D).
    Thought the match was good craic anyway, hopefully we'll get another going again and give them a better run next time :)
    Thanks to Frisbee for organising and to Des for reffing the match
    First goal was my fault I lost the ball cheaply up front

Ah they scored that many that we were nearly all at fault for one :) Hacked a lad down in the box myself

colly10 wrote: »
    I think it's a little harsh to be that critical of one player, he did make a mistake or 2 but you could also look at it from the point of view that many of those shots should have got nowhere near him, there was at least 3 times where their attacker had to skin one of our players (just a direct run) to make those chances. Not much point in pointing fingers, they were the better side overall and deserved the win, the scorelines fairly irrelevant.

As I said I wasn't trying to be critical. I was just saying it as I saw it myself.
    I've also stated that the midfield went non-existent in the 3rd period which was a big factor.
    My only point was that the goals went in at the near post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How many shots roughly did the poker forum have versus the amount of shots ye had?

I play as keeper and its amazing how often an amateur keeper gets hung for goals that shouldnt really have gotten anywhere near him in the first place.
    Sounds like fitness was a key factor.
    Its easy saying he shouldnt have gotten caught at the near post but its also easy saying that the player who scored managed to get past the last line of defence and get a shot off as well as whatever came from the midfield.

Well done to both teams and all involved though.

Kippy

kippy wrote: »
    How may shots roughly did the poker forum have versus the amount of shots ye had?

I play as keeper and its amazing how often an amateur keeper gets hung for goals that shouldnt really have gotten anywhere near him in the first place.
    Sounds like fitness was a key factor.

Well done to both teams and all involved though.

Kippy

I'd be on yourside more here dfx stopped plenty in the game, and the defence and I don't mean back 4, the midfield have to shield the defence and like I said above when I was up top I take full responsibility for the opening goal - it just wasn't good enough, Frisbee also should take credit more for just organising it - it was no conincidence that when he was in the middle that we scored both goals and conceded none.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement