Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum vs. Poker Forum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

As I've said I'm, not trying to hang dfx- out to dry here, he kept us in the game for the first two periods.
    I've also said that the player's should have gotten into those scoring opportunities.
    The only point I was making was the near post thing. Ok if you concede one on your near post. But 3-4 is the only reason I'm asking questions...

I feel bad now because everyone seems to think I'm witch hunting him here, I certainly don't mean to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Frisbee wrote: »
    As I've said I'm, not trying to hang dfx- out to dry here, he kept us in the game for the first two periods.
    I've also said that the player's should have gotten into those scoring opportunities.
    The only point I was making was the near post thing. Ok if you concede one on your near post. But 3-4 is the only reason I'm asking questions...

I feel bad now because everyone seems to think I'm witch hunting him here, I certainly don't mean to.

don't worry first off I'd say dfx isn't hurt and I definately hear where you're coming from, no offence to dfx but yea a league keeper (and I mean amatuer) would of saved some of those no question,
    then again 12 months ago every 1st touch lay off I tried like the ones would of hit there man. (believe it or believe it not this time last year I was playing premier football in waterford (I know amazing!) but my old team-mates would of laughed me out of training if I was that ****e in just 1 session).
    I'm just raging over being **** tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Problem is, there is only one keeper on the pitch so everyone knows that one person and who they are. You can talk about the defence,mid or attack as a group and not single out anyone.....not possibly when you talk about the keeper.
    Thats one of the key difficulties of being in goal, pressure from all over and nowhere to hide....

mayordenis wrote: »
    don't worry first off I'd say dfx isn't hurt and I definately hear where you're coming from, no offence to dfx but yea a league keeper (and I mean amatuer) would of saved some of those no question,
    then again 12 months ago every 1st touch lay off I tried like the ones would of hit there man. (believe it or believe it not this time last year I was playing premier football in waterford (I know amazing!) but my old team-mates would of laughed me out of training if I was that ****e in just 1 session).
    I'm just raging over being **** tbh

I'm kind of in the same boat. I gave up playing competitive football 2 years ago, and aside from a half dozen 5-a-side's in the summer just gone, haven't really played.
    My touch has gone to shíte. Two in particular incidents I'd point out is the long range shot that I sliced a mile wide and the bouncing ball over the top that I cocked up that luckily went to Simon (someone else who had a great game for us btw).

kippy wrote: »
    Problem is, there is only one keeper on the pitch so everyone knows that one person and who they are. You can talk about the defence,mid or attack as a group and not single out anyone.....not possibly when you talk about the keeper.
    Thats one of the key difficulties of being in goal, pressure from all over and nowhere to hide....

Your dead right.
    dfx- , I apologise if any offence was caused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

After reading yous got thumped I'm defo up for the next one if dfx can't make it or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yup really looking forward to the next game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well done on getting the whole thing organised anyway folks - only the first outing to dont worry too much about the score. I'll definately be up for the next one since its a saturday anyway, can give a lift to any other Corkonians that wanna go up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    can give a lift to any other Corkonians that wanna go up too.

Hi friend! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Colly10 had a great game at RB and was definitely our best player

Agreed. He is seriously fast and has some engine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I must apologize for my sh*t first touch today, I've been out of the game nearly a year and it showed through my fitness, timid ways and ball control

If everybody else is assessing their own performances I suppose I oughta do so too.

1st third: Mixed bag really. Mad a couple of good blocks and decent clearances, however my positioning and judgement (especially with over head long balls) was quite suspect at times. I think my performance may have been flattered somewhat by Colly's ability to dash in and fill up gaps that I left (sorry man :o).

2nd third: Sat that one out. Played as lines man. Good game lads :)

3rd third: Came on and had to cover at left back. Never played there before so i was bit out of sorts. That guy in the full Liverpool kit had the beatings of me pretty much every time (you know who you are :P). That CB beside me was pretty good (the left footed guy), terrible shame he was injured and limping for most of teh final third. Nice guy to boot.
    Although for all my badness in this third, I made two blocks which would have went in otherwise so i can take taht much as a positive.

Sorry about my shocking lack of match practice but I havent played a game of football since college. I really need to work on my fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

10-2?!?! Jaysus lads.

Count me in 100% for the next one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Embarrassing lads - no other way to say it. Will write up my full thoughts tomorrow when I get to a computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

Firstly, thanks very much for the game boys. I was c mid - with the gay under armour under the old spanish jersey. (under armour was the best selection of the game!! freeeeezing)

Cheers for referreeing Des. Ya did a very good job, ty.

Thanks Frisbee for organising the game and pitch etc.

Few comments bout the game:

We had played together before, with today being the third time. This was also the strongest team we've had out over them games.

It was your first game together, and familiarity is a very important thing. You's were up against it from the off.

Frisbee, you shoulda had a bit more time on the pitch. Good player.
    Right Back also stood out alot too - wp.

Obv everyone who played today tried their best. Standards of players ae bound to vary from player to player. To blame any one position for alot of goals is stupid. For example, with 10 top class out field players, you's wouldnt have conceded a goal. This isnt realistic, and hence the whole team collectively takes responsibility for the goals. This is mainly aimed at the comment made regarding your keeper. He can only do his best, and it was unwarranted imo.

Also don't be fooled that we are way ahead of you's fitness wise. At our first game we had manys a lung out on the pitch. It'll come back after a few games.

Lets try and arrange another game. Wp all, it was a very enjoyable game.

Look forward to the next.

semibluff wrote: »

Frisbee, you shoulda had a bit more time on the pitch. Good player.
    Right Back also stood out alot too - wp.

Lets try and arrange another game. Wp all, it was a very enjoyable game.

Look forward to the next.

ty mate :)

I'll throw up a thread about organising the next game. Hopefully February 22nd as Xavi will be back then, will try sort it over the next few days

Galvasean wrote: »
    Although for all my badness in this third, I made two blocks which would have went in otherwise

Bastard...

Bastard...

Lol, be happy with 10!

Bastard...

Oi! Greedy... :pac:

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Oi! Greedy... :pac:

I only wanted one!!! Came wandering up for a corner, catch the ball really sweetly and the ****er sticks his leg out to block it. The cheek!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

To be honest while the game was fun to be part of i really didnt enjoy it that much, when i nutmegged the guy marking me with the back heel and then took off towards the goal my calf seized up and was acting up for the entire game so i couldnt really run around like the headless chicken that I normally am.

I was quite confused at right mid as well as the last game i played a right back i was picking up their right mid the entire time so wasnt sure if i should of gone with him or taken an attacking position waiting for the counter attack.

While i dont tinhk i played anywhere near as good as i should have it still was only my third ever playing a proper match so hopefully with more games i should feel a bit more comfortable on the field with my first touch and positional sense

but anyway thanks Ricky for the game time and i would be up for playing again if there is a chance

I only wanted one!!! Came wandering up for a corner, catch the ball really sweetly and the ****er sticks his leg out to block it. The cheek!!!

You were the black haired tall lad at CB yeah?

If so you were unlucky not to score, that was a great block

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Right I'm pre-empting the next game by putting my name forward (with added bonus of getting work off). CM is my best position. I play for a league team in that position every week.

I also have the added benefit of having played with the poker team (several months ago) and playing against them so have a bit of knowledge on their better players (like Ricky, Donal, Darragh, Sammy etc.) I can also confidently say having seen the fitness level in the previous games that I can easily go for the 90 minutes and keep up a good workrate.

//application submitted!

tribulus wrote: »
    Right I'm pre-empting the next game by putting my name forward (with added bonus of getting work off). CM is my best position. I play for a league team in that position every week.

I also have the added benefit of having played with the poker team (several months ago) and playing against them so have a bit of knowledge on their better players (like Ricky, Donal, Darragh, Sammy etc.) I can also confidently say having seen the fitness level in the previous games that I can easily go for the 90 minutes and keep up a good workrate.

//application submitted!

Keep an eye out for the next thread man

You were the black haired tall lad at CB yeah?

If so you were unlucky not to score, that was a great block

That's me yeah.

• Advertisement

That's me yeah.

Your CB partnership was very good.
    When I went on up front for the last ten you could see you had experienced heads at the back.
    Your other CB, careca I think?
    Well the one time I managed to get a run at you's he did a good job of pushing me wide and I could see you coming across to cover if I went inside.
    You had great CB and CM pairings which won it for you imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

2 at the far post, 2 at the near post, 1 through the legs and the fifth goal was past me before I knew it. I've no problem with accepting my part in the defeat to a point.
    kippy wrote: »
    How many shots roughly did the poker forum have versus the amount of shots ye had?

I play as keeper and its amazing how often an amateur keeper gets hung for goals that shouldnt really have gotten anywhere near him in the first place.
    Sounds like fitness was a key factor.

I lost count at 7 saves, 6 goals and three blocks/deflections in the last period alone..and about 5 one-on-ones included. It was 4-on-4 for most of the last period at the back and they exposed us badly. If the scoreline reflected the late dominance, it would've been 16-3.

Your CB partnership was very good.
    When I went on up front for the last ten you could see you had experienced heads at the back.
    Your other CB, careca I think?
    Well the one time I managed to get a run at you's he did a good job of pushing me wide and I could see you coming across to cover if I went inside.
    You had great CB and CM pairings which won it for you imo

Yeah, I agree with you there about CM. The two lads give us great balance, they play really well together. Careca (other CB) deserves a lot of the credit for us at the back. He is an excellent player.

Yeah, I agree with you there about CM. The two lads give us great balance, they play really well together. Careca (other CB) deserves a lot of the credit for us at the back. He is an excellent player.

That's what's most important, having a strong spine, and you certainly had that.
    I still have to give semibluff my MotM though.

dfx- wrote: »
    I lost count at 7 saves, 6 goals and three blocks/deflections in the last period alone..and about 5 one-on-ones included. It was 4-on-4 for most of the last period at the back and they exposed us badly. If the scoreline reflected the late dominance, it would've been 16-3.

To be fair mate, you were over-run in the 1st and 3rd period. We were sick we hadn't scored 5 or 6 in the first period. You made a rake of good one-on-one saves in that period.

I think people are forgetting how bad the rain was in your face at that post in the 3rd period. The wind and rain really picked up and the ball was shooting off the surface making it really hard to deal with.

In no way is this statement meant as bragging: We could've scored at least another 5 or 6 goals if it weren't for you. Bad day at the office man. Chalk it down to experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Well lads,

I was the other Centre Mid in the United Jersey,no pansy underarmour for me. The lesser of the two midfielders imo but we worked quite well together and that matters.

Firstly a few points about your team/game.

I really wouldnt worry about the scoreline/result. We get hammered by one of the poker lads club teams on a regular basis. Familiarity will come over time, remember we've had 3 matches together. Well not me and Donal, but different combinations of the same team.

I dont think all of you criticising yourselves is much good for you. It was ye're first game ffs, and many of you havent played ball in ages. Fitness and Familiarity are what won it for us more than anything else I think. That and keeping our shape.

Id imagine with a few more games under ye're collective belt it will be much closer.

Now my honest opinion, not trying to hurt/offend/annoy anyone.

Frisbee was very good. I hate myself for not closing him down quicker as I suspect his first touch is a little off, and I tried to, but when he got the ball ye ticked.

Your RB, I see him mentioned as Colly10 was a superb player. Cant emphasize that enough. Quality Defender, great on the ball and excellent balance.

Number 11, up front, small guy with Yellow hair? Who was he? His first touch was phenomenal imo. Id say he was quite a player when younger and fitter.

Your CB partnership. While we scored 10, I think ye can hold ye're heads up. Ye dealt with any aerial balls well, were clearing your lines very well but I think when we got it down we were always teh favourites.

Your right winger at the start? Big tank with white top? Scary man. Buckled me at one stage when we challenged for a header. He was quite decent. Ran with the ball well. Some dodgey distribution though.

Your number 10. Names Ian I think? I hated giving you time on the ball. Your passing was very good, any time you had any kind of space you put your team on the front foot.

If Ive forgotten anyone I apologise its late, if I think of anything else Ill come back to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Just to be an egotisical prick for a moment the one time I got turned and running towards there goal I produced a delicious run and ball that should of resulted in a goal . . . if a certain someone had of made the run :pac:

Lads I have to say I'm actually quite suprised at how people have reacted to Frisbee posting some negative comments. We lost the game 10-2 for god sake and in fairness nothing he said was personal or vicious in any way. After that game everyone should be able to air their views about anyone and everyone that was playing and as long as its constructive then I dont see a problem.

What are we gonna learn from yesterday if nobody is going to come out and honestly say what all the problems were? We are all grown men and if you cant take some honest criticism then you have to ask yourself why you put yourself forward for the game.

This isnt directed at dfx by the way or anyone else, just using the example of Frisbee's comments and the reaction to it.

I know it was a "friendly" game and all and also our first game together so there were obviously going to be problems with shape and communication. That aside I still think we were lucky to only lose 10-2. It could have been 10 - nil after 20 minutes.

I was going to write a long post outlining where I thought our main problems were. I dont think you can single out any one area of the pitch that was at fault for the performance. Each area created problems for others - nobody is blameless. You cant blame the keeper, who blames the defence, who blame the midfield, who blame the strikers etc etc but within that people should still stand up and take responsibility for their own performances and mistakes. This is not a holyier than thou speech either - I know what was wrong with my own performance and am my own harshest critic.

That kind of turned into a rant which wasnt my intention, I just feel that to improve on that game we need to be honest and open about not only our own performances but of the performances of those around you. Win as a team, lose as a team and all that.

As an aside thanks to Frisbee for organising the game, was enjoyable apart from the result and its always good to get a game of football - all too rare for me these days sadly.

Colly at right back was definitely our man of the match too - sterling performance.

Too many players to mention from the poker team but the two boys in the middle were class and it was like chasing shadows in there for a lot of the game. Well played lads

Can I just ask, if this fella colly10 was your best player (and it sounds that way) then what was he doing stuck at right back?

Thats where he said he played

Hardly stuck at rb, he cut out a lot of balls and made some great last ditch tackles where he seemed to come from nowhere, he also linked up nicely with the right wing and made some good runs out of defence - I'm not sure there was a better place to have him tbh...

Well it was very obvious for anyone to see that after that tackle I went into after only about 7 minutes I was practically limping for the whole game. That big fella on the poker team will remember it cause it took me a while to shake it off to be able to even run. I've had a thigh strain for the last few weeks and I am such a fúcktard that I haven't rested it to get it back to shape at all at all.

I didn't play terribly but I know I was nowhere near how I could play. I did however come on after my initial substitution whenever needed to give other lads a rest even though my leg was bollixed. 10-2 was harsh because after it was made 4-2 there was a slight chance of getting back into it but as we know it didn't happen.

It was obviously a deserved win for the poker forum & they had alot of decent players. The lads on our side that deserve a special mention would have to be Gary, Colly, Ian & Cillian. Did as much as they could.

Sorry again for my performance, all I can say is my leg is a leper.

Thats where he said he played
    Hardly stuck at rb, he cut out a lot of balls and made some great last ditch tackles where he seemed to come from nowhere, he also linked up nicely with the right wing and made some good runs out of defence - I'm not sure there was a better place to have him tbh...

Ah right fair enough.

Just that sometimes a guy says he's a right back then midway through the game you realise that he'd be more effective in breaking things up in midfield. Just wondered if that coulda been the case here.

Maybe yeah but his pace at the back saved us a good few times so it was a catch 22 situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Colly was superb. He was very quick, had very good positional sense, was able to handle the physicality of the game, and as a bonus could bring the ball from the right-corner of the pitch to midfield before usually off-loading to one of our players.

I think a couple of team orientated things that let use down were (naturally enough) familiarity, or lack of, with our team mates. It's frustrating seeing a gap but not knowing the name of the person who can get there. Also, as a team we lacked a lot of pace. The Poker guys had some pacey forwards and once a ball was played through to them that involved a sprint, we usually lost out.

Overall we can take a little heart from the fact that we won the middle period by a goal and played most like a team during this spell. Fair play to both teams for keeping it clean and continuing to play in some horrible weather!

• Advertisement

Just an observation lads that might help in future.

Obv I might be biased given my own approach to the game but I noticed that you had no organiser. There was no one person who took it on themselves to sort things out and keep people moving and doing their jobs. Obviously when you are playing with guys you don't really know it would take a hard neck to start shouting and roaring at guys but you really really needed someone to do that.

There have been a lot of people talking about "lack of familiarity" but I think you are missing the point. The first time I heard an inquiry going on about the midfield was 5 mins before the end of the game. TBH someone should have got the mother and father of a bollocking after about 10 mins of the first period. Frisbee's post pulled no punches but it's equally useful to have a word in the ear during the game.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah right fair enough.

Just that sometimes a guy says he's a right back then midway through the game you realise that he'd be more effective in breaking things up in midfield. Just wondered if that coulda been the case here.

Aye this could have been the case, but his pace and positional sense at RB was what kept the scoreline as it was. He was great at etting across to snuff out any danger.

If we're going to play the poker forum again do you think we should organise a get together beforehand be it 5 a side or whatever? Definitely would be good to get people more familiar with each others names and give anyone who wants to join the squad a chance to show what they can do before the game. Would mean we werent going into it as such an unknown quantity like we were yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Frisbee et al, when is the next game? Have you booked it yet?
    What positions was the squad short in?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Only getting to this now as I am mad busy,I have not read the thread yet so I will post up a summery when I get the chance.It was a good game,thanks to Frisbee for doing the donkey work and Des for reefing it.Also thanks to chopper on the poker side for organizing there end.

On a personal note this was my first time doing anything since mid December so I was maybe a yard or 4 off the pace,also MrsDub13 did not pack my asto boots so I had a couple of slides.As I said I will come back to this when I have time.

Vokes wrote: »
    Frisbee et al, when is the next game? Have you booked it yet?
    What positions was the squad short in?

I'm currently in the first stage of organisation.
    Keep an eye out for the next thread

Dub13 wrote: »
    also MrsDub13 did not pack my asto boots so I had a couple of slides.

Fecking wimmins....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

10-2 to poker forum? Shocking.

Maybe they should allow us post footy related threads over there for more expert soccer opinions!

If we're going to play the poker forum again do you think we should organise a get together beforehand be it 5 a side or whatever? Definitely would be good to get people more familiar with each others names and give anyone who wants to join the squad a chance to show what they can do before the game. Would mean we werent going into it as such an unknown quantity like we were yesterday

Great idea, names are very important! So many times yesterday a man would be free from a corner (which happened WAY too often) and I couldnt think of peoples names to call em in- very frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Great idea, names are very important! So many times yesterday a man would be free from a corner (which happened WAY too often) and I couldnt think of peoples names to call em in- very frustrating!

A better idea would be to have a thread with everybody sending in a pic/mug shoot,that way we get to know each others faces and give the ladies a bit of a treat.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement