Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum vs. Poker Forum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gotta be two hours.
    Someone is always late.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Lads I'm gonna hold off booking this one as I forgot to ask a very pertinent question.
    Do we want the pitch for one or two hours?
    If we pick one hour everyone has to be there on time to get payment sorted out etc.
    Whereas if we go with two we have a bit of a cushion to getting the match finished and could go for longer maybe.

We'll be using this pitch.

So an hour will cost 50 euro without lights or 75 with lights.
    Depending on what time we get the pitch for we might not need lights but if we're stuck with a 3 o'clock start personally I think we should get the lights..

So what do you's want?

haha that's the pitch I played on yesterday. Really good & no one should wear studs cause you'll slip everywhere!
    Dub13 wrote: »
    I am easy

Yes you are
    Des wrote: »
    yeah, we know. :pac:

Slut ! :p
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    5(?) kids would confirm that! :D

Sure would, reactions Dub?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Sure would, reactions Dub?

I am not one to sit around complaining about things I go out and try to fix it,So at least I am doing something about the pensions crisis.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

2 hours would be best imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ok lads not great news.
    Rang up to book it there and the girl said there's Super LEague rostered all that day on the pitch.
    However it might not be on as Super League is only usually played when the students are in term and UCD aren't back then. She didn't know for definite but I have to ring up after 5 tomorrow and the girl who organises the pitches will be there and she can give me a definitive answer.

I'm back in UCD on the 19th so the Super League could well go ahead, it's 50:50 really.

If I can't get that pitch would you have any objections to playing on this?
    It's not synthetic grass now, it's a hockey astro.
    I know from reading the threads from the previous matches on the Poker Forum that some people seem terrified of playing on this.
    So would anyone mind playing on this instead if we can't get the other one?

(Personally I have no problem playing on the hockey astro. Play on them three times a week myself and alot of the fear directed towards them is completely unfounded. But to each his own.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There is absolutely no danger with the hockey astro.

wtf are them soft lads complaining about? :confused:

Boardeaux plays about 70% of our matches on Hocky Astro.

Although.

I might be able to get a synthetic grass pitch.

Want me to look into it?

There is absolutely no danger with the hockey astro.

wtf are them soft lads complaining about? :confused:

Boardeaux plays about 70% of our matches on Hocky Astro.

Although.

I might be able to get a synthetic grass pitch.

Want me to look into it?

I know, I've had less injuries on hockey astro than playing on grass. Some people here horror stories though and just think the worst immediately.

That would be fantastic if you could. Whereabouts?

That would be fantastic if you could. Whereabouts?

St Colmcille's School in Knocklyon.

Know it?

Know it?

Haha, about 3 minutes drive from my house :D

Easy enough if your coming from town aswell as the 15 drops you right outside, and the M50 exits right at it aswell!

• Advertisement

are you saying either way there will be no slide tackling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I find hockey astro safer than fake grass too. No idea what these people are on about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What kind of footwear is used on hockey astro..?we dont do hockey on the northside.

No slide tackles is a must on any kind of astro.

You can do serious damage to yourself otherwise.

I have no problem with tackling. I usually slide on the hockey astro about three times a game so losing a little bit more skin is, pardon the pun, no skin off my nose.

I'll be happy enough to treat this as a full contact game, however I can understand the concerns people will have with slide tackling on this surface as I highly doubt anyone is safe enough to slide tackle at this level without hurting yourself or the person your tackling.
    As I said, it's up to you's, but I'll have no problem about the slide tackles myself.

Dub13 wrote: »
    What kind of footwear is used on hockey astro..?we dont do hockey on the northside.

At the moment I'm just using regular astro's to play hockey in and their fine.
    You turn much sharper in hockey aswell.

No slide tackles is a must on any kind of astro.

You can do serious damage to yourself otherwise.

i originally thought we'd be playing on grass :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

"Fixtures will resume in the New year on the 17th/18th January."

-superleague website

http://beamsystems.ie/ucdsuper/

It looks like it will be booked out for that day.

Frisbee, there is a sweet sythetic grass pitch in Templeogue Uniteds grounds if you can book that? Its just off the M50 behind the Spawell? If that fails, Im sure all the grass pitches in any area will be reopened that weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Know it?

Definitely prefer that pitch..

The hockey astro is that stuff in 3 Rock Rovers isn't it? The 0-0 draw against Ravenhill was a nightmare pitch there after rain.

• Advertisement

Frisbee, there is a sweet sythetic grass pitch in Templeogue Uniteds grounds if you can book that? Its just off the M50 behind the Spawell? If that fails, Im sure all the grass pitches in any area will be reopened that weekend.

Aye I know wgere that is alright, played on it a few times, very nice pitch.
    If I can get the other UCD astro I'm going to go ahead with that though as people will moan that it's too hard to find (regardless of how close it is to the M50 exit)

Love playing on hockey. Ball moves nice n' slick.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Love playing on hockey. Ball moves nice n' slick.

You should play hockey then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Aye I know wgere that is alright, played on it a few times, very nice pitch.
    If I can get the other UCD astro I'm going to go ahead with that though as people will moan that it's too hard to find (regardless of how close it is to the M50 exit)

Would getting the astro not mean booking 4 pitches? They're all seven a side pitches as far as i know.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Would getting the astro not mean booking 4 pitches? They're all seven a side pitches as far as i know.

http://www.ucd.ie/sport/facilities_grasspitch.htm

The very first rate. You can book it as an eleven-a-side.
    However that could be problematic as if one section is booked we're fooked

meh dont care where we play as long as its serviced by decent public transport (dart/luas preferably ;))

• Advertisement

Is there going to be a ref?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I would definitely have a preference for playing on the synthetic grass over the hockey type surface, though it won't stop me playing either way. I think the pitch in Templeogue is better than in Colmcilles as it's slightly wider, but either is good.

You should play hockey then :D

Actually I did for my college's team for two years. Before anyone asks me to play in goal, there is a world of a difference...
    Example: I can't catch the ball.. EVER. In hockey this is a very good attribute as it enables you to parry shots further away from goal. In soccer as we know it makes you Gomez.

+1 I think there should be a ref.

is there going to be linos?

If not, then I'd recommend a no-offside rule, becasue refs can't call offside by themselves, without getting murdered.

is there going to be linos?

If not, then I'd recommend a no-offside rule, becasue refs can't call offside by themselves, without getting murdered.

hundreds of teams manage to get by each week without dead refs, i'm sure the ref will manage....

• Advertisement

hundreds of teams manage to get by each week without dead refs, i'm sure the ref will manage....

Hey guys, I was the organiser of the last poker forum match and I can say without a doubt the no offsides rule is seriously problematic. Either we trust the ref or we don't but I think we should have offsides. I know one of our goals in the last game was 5-10 yards offside following a slide rule pass out of defence by moi clearance.

Looking forward to this. I'd advise anyone wanting to get a little banter going about this to do it over in the thread on this in the poker forum.

If I can find someone to do it, yeah.

Not sure about the offside, very hard to keep track of in a game like this...

If I can find someone to do it, yeah.

Not sure about the offside, very hard to keep track of in a game like this...

Maybe not offside as Fifa rules dictate but maybe a ban on 'hatching in the box'?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Maybe not offside as Fifa rules dictate but maybe a ban on 'hatching in the box'?

Aye, we'll go playground rule's

No hatching
    No toebogging
    If it goes higher than the keeper can reach when they jump it's not a goal

Aye, we'll go playground rule's

In my school playground we werent allowed use footballs 'in case someone got hurt' but by some bizarre loophole we could use a tennis ball. Yeah, that wont hurt at all. :rolleyes:

Oh and throw ins don't happen, a free kick is awarded if the ball is booted too far to the side, so far that no one wants to chase after it.

Ok lads I'll ring up tomorrow evening when the woman who organises the Super League is there.
    However she's not in till 5 and I'm in work at five so I won't be able to let you know until after ten when I finish work.
    So is everyone happy enough to go with the hockey pitch if I can't get the synthetic grass pitch?

Right not great news.
    The synthetic grass pitch is booked up.
    Also the Hockey surface pitch is only available for one hour, from 3-4. However I couldn't book it as you have to book it in person so I'll get over to UCD tomorrow morning to do so.
    Is this ok with everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you're only bookin it for an hour then tell everyone kick off is half 2.

If you're only bookin it for an hour then tell everyone kick off is half 2.

I will, I want everyone there and there money paid by half two, otherwise they can fcuk off.
    Also I think I'll try book it for the next game tomo aswell maybe to make sure we get the decent pitch for two hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

February 22nd. Good man!

• Advertisement

February 22nd. Good man!

Aye

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Still sounds great Frisbee - No boots then I take it? :'(

mayordenis wrote: »
    Still sounds great Frisbee - No boots then I take it? :'(

Afraid not. Hockey surface so only astro's.

I have an immediate advantage, woop :cool:

Afraid not. Hockey surface so only astro's.

I have an immediate advantage, woop :cool:

Ugh...

I love the slide tackle. It's the slow centre halves substitute for skill:cool:

Ugh...

I love the slide tackle. It's the slow centre halves substitute for skill:cool:

I'm really unfit at the moment so my only hope of leaving a mark on this game was some sort of 2 legged over the top stamp, I call being the dead ball expert.

I'm really unfit at the moment so my only hope of leaving a mark on this game was some sort of 2 legged over the top stamp, I call being the dead ball expert.

I tend to get a lot of flack from centre forwards for the old cynical shoulder charge and body check. God I love football...

I tend to get a lot of flack from centre forwards for the old cynical shoulder charge and body check. God I love football...

:D

we'll need a private thread to discuss tactics and our general consensus on the level of "gamesmanship" to be had.

we'll need a private thread to discuss tactics and our general consensus on the level of "gamesmanship" to be had.

Haha, gamesmanship is all well and good.
    Anyone going out to 'do' someone is off the park immediately

• Advertisement

:D

I have my moments of "WTF??" dancing feet out of centre half. These are fairly rare moments in fairness but I'll surprise ya. Oh yeah...I'll surprise ya...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement